Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Sep 20, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #2,401 of 5,804
Dweaver got the XBA-H1's as i read on the H3 forums first few pages, how do you feel your Z5's improvement over the H1's?

I got the H3's who many said to skip LOL..... Recently purchased a set of XBA-A3's and yup, a big-leap forward in improvement of the sound over the H3's, with few Hours of burn-in i can state those have a big deep bass that pushes hard and rumbles (when needed) but without being boomy and leaking into the mids/highs. Other are of improvement with burn-in is the soundstage is opening up and getting bigger than H3's.

However i note they need a bit more of volume UP than the H3's to sound at the same volume loudness
very true the A3 and especially the Z5 do need power.The Z5 becones another iem with an amp. The A3 will scale with an amp and the Z5 will scale more.

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #2,402 of 5,804
very true the A3 and especially the Z5 do need power.The Z5 becones another iem with an amp. The A3 will scale with an amp and the Z5 will scale more.

Currently using an Oppo HA-2 in amp-only mode, with a Sony walkman A17, i am burning them (A3) with High gain, but tomorrow to preserve battery at work will use Low gain setting and will se how they fare

But yeah Brandenburg Concertos so far soooo good, many instruments well rendered, recorders (baroque flute), violins, gambas, Harpsichords, oboes, trumpets nice layered sound and so coherent

I know burn in is happening because they are sound a bit crazy uncoherent at times, and also can be problem of misadjustment, I hate the new earhooks so much, i have to fiddle with them constantly to adjust them frequently, I think i will try wearing them cable-down instead, XBA-H3 hooks were better

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #2,403 of 5,804
I am a 50 year old married fat man. Looking good isn't very high up my priority list
wink.gif
. But listening to good music is
smily_headphones1.gif
. They actually don't look quite as bad in person versus the picture.

" " - (Dweaver, 2015)

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #2,404 of 5,804
UPDATE ON ISOLATION: They isolate waaayyy better than the H3's (i deep insert my A3's) still i cnan heard some noises but not as *evrything* like the H3,

I will try tomoow using he foam-filled plugs,

UPDATE #2--> bas has gotten its form, is firm and deeper than H3 but is controled and not at all Boomy, doesn't leak into mids, love the detailed they are becoming, feel more 3D and wide

Told my coworkers in the most polte way to shut-up the office-world
biggrin.gif
 by plugging y A3s nto mycanals

Sep 21, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #2,405 of 5,804
  UPDATE ON ISOLATION: They isolate waaayyy better than the H3's (i deep insert my A3's) still i cnan heard some noises but not as *evrything* like the H3,

I will try tomoow using he foam-filled plugs,

UPDATE #2--> bas has gotten its form, is firm and deeper than H3 but is controled and not at all Boomy, doesn't leak into mids, love the detailed they are becoming, feel more 3D and wide

Told my coworkers in the most polte way to shut-up the office-world
biggrin.gif
 by plugging y A3s nto mycanals

Nooo, don't use the foam eartips. Although isolation is increased, the overall sound will become less detailed.

Sep 21, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #2,406 of 5,804
Sony should be sending my replacement Z5 sometime this week. Last unit had a defective cable where the loop on the right side had much less rigidity than the left, so it was defective out of the box. They replaced it no questions asked. Love the sony customer service.

Now if Sony engineers went back to making iems with better build quality, I wouldn't have to be in touch with the customer service team so often lol.

Seriously though really missing my Z5 a lot. Cant wait to try it balanced with the Geek Out V2. But meanwhile I have these two beauties to keep me company while my Z5 is out :wink:

Awesome awesome build quality on these things. Not a fan of the 7550 cable however, but the EX1000 is one sexy iem. Z5 feels more premium in some ways but I would pick the EX1000 build quality any day.

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #2,407 of 5,804
  Sony should be sending my replacement Z5 sometime this week. Last unit had a defective cable where the loop on the right side had much less rigidity than the left, so it was defective out of the box. They replaced it no questions asked. Love the sony customer service.

You could have bought another MMCX cable

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #2,408 of 5,804
  You could have bought another MMCX cable

Buy a replacement cable for a defect out of the box? Not sure anyone in their right mind would do that? :p (I bought it locally so I don't have to deal with shipping it overseas etc) 

Besides, I even tried to buy a replacement cable, they don't sell it separately. In fact they don't even replace cables. Their policy is to replace the entire unit. Usually I would be happy with that but in this case I got a Z5 with strong solid connectors and I just prefer to replace the cable. But they had me send it in and they told me they saw the defect and ordered me a new unit. 

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #2,409 of 5,804
Buy a replacement cable for a defect out of the box? Not sure anyone in their right mind would do that? :p (I bought it locally so I don't have to deal with shipping it overseas etc) 

Besides, I even tried to buy a replacement cable, they don't sell it separately. In fact they don't even replace cables. Their policy is to replace the entire unit. Usually I would be happy with that but in this case I got a Z5 with strong solid connectors and I just prefer to replace the cable. But they had me send it in and they told me they saw the defect and ordered me a new unit. 

ah ok ok so the defect was not the cable but the MMCX socket it self, misunderstood

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #2,411 of 5,804

Seriously though really missing my Z5 a lot. Cant wait to try it balanced with the Geek Out V2. But meanwhile I have these two beauties to keep me company while my Z5 is out :wink:

Hi RedJohn456,

It seems that the Geek Out V2 does not have the 3.5mm balanced left and right outputs features, like in the PHA3 and Pono Player.

Were you referring to Geek Out V2 TRRS balanced output?

https://support.lhlabs.com/support/solutions/articles/5000634421-geek-out-v2-user-manual- 

Single Ended And Balanced Outputs

Geek Out V2 features two audio outputs. A 1/8”/3.5mm single-ended (TRS) output, as well as a 1/8”/3.5mm balanced (TRRS) output.

The Single-Ended Output is indicated with a "SE" mark above the headphone jack. A "BAL" for Balanced output is indicated above the jack that is directly under the USB port. It is not recommended to use a Single-ended (TRS) 3.5mm jack for the balanced output and will not be covered under warranty if damage occurs. By incorporating a TRRS to XLR cable, the Geek Out V2 can be connected to a home stereo system in full balanced mode.

V2 Pin-out Diagram:

V2%20pinout%20diagram.jpg

Cheers

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #2,412 of 5,804

Hi RedJohn456,

It seems that the Geek Out V2 does not have the 3.5mm balanced left and right outputs features, like in the PHA3 and Pono Player.

https://support.lhlabs.com/support/solutions/articles/5000634421-geek-out-v2-user-manual- 

Geek Out V2 features two audio outputs. A 1/8”/3.5mm single-ended (TRS) output, as well as a 1/8”/3.5mm balanced (TRRS) output.

The Single-Ended Output is indicated with a "SE" mark above the headphone jack. A "BAL" for Balanced output is indicated above the jack that is directly under the USB port. It is not recommended to use a Single-ended (TRS) 3.5mm jack for the balanced output and will not be covered under warranty if damage occurs. By incorporating a TRRS to XLR cable, the Geek Out V2 can be connected to a home stereo system in full balanced mode.

V2 Pin-out Diagram:

Cheers

wait so its not the same as the PHA3 and pono balanced out? But it has two ports...

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #2,413 of 5,804

Hi RedJohn456,

V2 Pin-out Diagram:

Cheers

Thank you so much for brining this to my attention, might have damaged my gears if I hadn't known. Am kind of bummed out that it won't work like that :frowning2:   I just wish the pono had USB dac functionality. Why the heck did they not include it?? I would have just gotten that in that case 
angry_face.gif

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #2,414 of 5,804

Thank you so much for brining this to my attention, might have damaged my gears if I hadn't known. Am kind of bummed out that it won't work like that :frowning2:   I just wish the pono had USB dac functionality. Why the heck did they not include it?? I would have just gotten that in that case 
angry_face.gif

Wish I could have told you earlier.

I myself have been doing some research on alternatives to the Pono Player and PHA 3, which included the Geek Out V2+ Infinity and the Alo Audio Continental Dual Mono.  Unfortunately, no success so far.

Cheers 

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #2,415 of 5,804
Your aim is home use only or portable ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back