Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Sep 2, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #2,206 of 5,805
I would agree with the capital L shaped signature except the bass isn't THAT elevated. But aside from the elevated base everything else is pretty much flat versus a v shaped signature. Also the bass is only evident when its in the music so when your music has little to no bass you don't have to worry that there will be faux bass happening.

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #2,208 of 5,805
So they're EX1000s with a high-end that isn't so darn strong and a low-end with a measurable amount of oomph?

Sounds bloody perfect to me. droooool
Nailed it :)

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #2,209 of 5,805
Nailed it
smily_headphones1.gif

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If I wasn't serious about budgeting I'd be buying them at this moment.

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #2,211 of 5,805
Not too sure about dweaver's claim as I've heard some not so positive feedback on the Z5.  I probably wouldn't buy it unless I was a basshead.  BTW, don't get too excited.  Excitement leads to overexpectation, overexpectation leads to being underwhelmed, and being underwhelmed leads to buyers remorse.

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #2,212 of 5,805
Not too sure about dweaver's claim as I've heard some not so positive feedback on the Z5.  I probably wouldn't buy it unless I was a basshead.  BTW, don't get too excited.  Excitement leads to overexpectation, overexpectation leads to being underwhelmed, and being underwhelmed leads to buyers remorse.

Do you have experience with the Z5?

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #2,213 of 5,805
  ​
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If I wasn't serious about budgeting I'd be buying them at this moment.

Hmm I own the Z5 currently and have owned the EX1000. I would also caution you against buying the Z5 if you're a fan of the EX1000.

The Z5 is quite a bit darker, with more bass and is warmer over all. EX1000 has a more air presentation, with a thinner midrange and a relatively softer bass impact (Still the best bass I have heard to date, well extended and tight). I would even venture as far as to say that the Z5 and EX1000 are nothing alike, and are polar opposites in terms of sonic presentation. 

Edit: @meringo Saw your post after I submitted mine and wanted to tag you in case the comparison helps :)

Not to say that the Z5 is severely rolled off in the treble section, they can be a bit treble forward for some songs, but they are not as strident as the EX1000, and is much more controlled and cymbal hits aren't as splashy as on the ex1000.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #2,214 of 5,805
  you can also get the A3 if you are budget strapped, what i'm doing

I'm not budget strapped, I'd just have to move money from savings and I hate doing it. But then what's the point of saving if I never spend it? I can afford it.

From what I've read the A3 and Z5 are similar but the Z5 is more analytical, refined, and airy (which is something the A3s supposedly lack). Compared to the A3s are the Z5s worth such a premium? Not from what I've read. Compared to my EX1000s are they? Absofrakkinglutely.

I don't think I'll regret choosing the Z5s.

Edit: @RedJohn456

For a small selection of my music the EX1000s are spectacular. For the rest the treble is too much and the bass isn't nearly as fun as I'd prefer.

The Z5s appear to be exactly what I've always wanted my EX1000s to be.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #2,215 of 5,805

you can also get the A3 if you are budget strapped, what i'm doing

I'm not budget strapped, I'd just have to move money from savings and I hate doing it. But then what's the point of saving if I never spend it? I can afford it.

From what I've read the A3 and Z5 are similar but the Z5 is more analytical, refined, and airy (which is something the A3s supposedly lack). Compared to the A3s are the Z5s worth such a premium? Not from what I've read. Compared to my EX1000s are they? Absofrakkinglutely.

:D i also have my savings but i won't move the long-term savingsas the Mex peso i depreciated and US recession is looming (have two types, short and long term savings), aside long-term take a full week to deposit to my bank card account... so i'll use the short-term ones :p, those are instantaneous (same day i oder the poof in my bank card). Monday i'll buy the gift for my man and the A3 to spend all those 10,000 pesos :D.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #2,216 of 5,805
Do you have experience with the Z5?

No, I don't.  That was based off of some impressions I got from another head-fier.

From what I've read the A3 and Z5 are similar but the Z5 is more analytical, refined, and airy (which is something the A3s supposedly lack). Compared to the A3s are the Z5s worth such a premium? Not from what I've read. Compared to my EX1000s are they? Absofrakkinglutely.

Edit: @RedJohn456

For a small selection of my music the EX1000s are spectacular. For the rest the treble is too much and the bass isn't nearly as fun as I'd prefer.

You could always try the MDR-7550 if you feel the treble is too harsh.
Also, read this:
http://www.lachlanlikesathing.com/2015/01/thoughts-on-sony-xba-z5-vs-xba-a3.html
"I don't actually think the Z5 sounds 'better' than the A3 other than having more solid and controlled low frequencies. It certainly doesn't sound anything close to better like the price difference would suggest. Depending on how you like your treble, and how much you like your bass, you may prefer the Z5 or A3, or neither."

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #2,217 of 5,805
The Z5 is not for everyone. For many the bass alone would be off putting. They also are a bit on the warm side. But for me they are perfect. They have a similarly large sound stage of the IE8/80 while not suffering from a veiled midrange. They have the most 3D like imaging I have heard of any IEM. They are super comfortable once you get the knack of wearing them (bit nerdy looking though :wink: ). I have bought or reviewed several IEMs since I bought the Z5 and all the others do is make me appreciate the Z5 more. My most recent IEM purchase was the A73 from Fidue and they sound anemic and thin compared to the Z5 as well as sibilant. Now I understand that if I listened to the A73 exclusively my brain would slowly get burned in and then I would not think of them as strongly as I do, but why would I do that??? I LIKE the Z5 sound and the last thing I want to do is have my brain adjust to another signature that ultimately is fatiguing to my ears.

BTW I used to love the analytical bright sound of headphones like the AKG K712 and Q701, and have owned Etymotic IEMs and several other brighter IEMs as well as the EX1000 and more neutral MDR-7550 (might repurchase the 7550 some day), so understand and appreciate other signatures.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #2,218 of 5,805

Edit: @RedJohn456

I agree, I only enjoyed it with certain music. Z5 sounds great with everything comparatively. For that reason alone the Z5 is a better buy as it is more versatile.

The Z5 is not for everyone. For many the bass alone would be off putting. They also are a bit on the warm side. But for me they are perfect. They have a similarly large sound stage of the IE8/80 while not suffering from a veiled midrange. They have the most 3D like imaging I have heard of any IEM. They are super comfortable once you get the knack of wearing them (bit nerdy looking though
wink.gif
). I have bought or reviewed several IEMs since I bought the Z5 and all the others do is make me appreciate the Z5 more. My most recent IEM purchase was the A73 from Fidue and they sound anemic and thin compared to the Z5 as well as sibilant. Now I understand that if I listened to the A73 exclusively my brain would slowly get burned in and then I would not think of them as strongly as I do, but why would I do that??? I LIKE the Z5 sound and the last thing I want to do is have my brain adjust to another signature that ultimately is fatiguing to my ears.

BTW I used to love the analytical bright sound of headphones like the AKG K712 and Q701, and have owned Etymotic IEMs and several other brighter IEMs as well as the EX1000 and more neutral MDR-7550 (might repurchase the 7550 some day), so understand and appreciate other signatures.

Yeah, I usually hate bass heavy signatures but Z5 is really growing on me. Something about it is just really addicting, and I am hoping to get the upgraded Sony cable for it to see if it changes the sound any. 

I am using the Z5 out of the apogee groove and the bass is MUCH MUCH better than out of the rest of my gear. They really need an amp to shine, its not even a debate at this point.

But I am also a huge fan of more bright signatures thanks to the Venture Electronics Duke iem, which is bright vivid and analytical. Quite different from the Z5, and variety is always good :wink:
I am eventually going to pick up both the EX1000 and 7550 as I am somewhat of a sony fan and I would love to have the entire collection.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #2,219 of 5,805
No, I don't.  That was based off of some impressions I got from another head-fier.

Also, read this:
http://www.lachlanlikesathing.com/2015/01/thoughts-on-sony-xba-z5-vs-xba-a3.html
[COLOR=444444]"I don't actually think the Z5 sounds 'better' than the A3 other than having more solid and controlled low frequencies. It certainly doesn't sound anything close to better like the price difference would suggest. Depending on how you like your treble, and how much you like your bass, you may prefer the Z5 or A3, or neither."[/COLOR]
funny you mentioned the 7550, that is an excellent IEM that I have regretted selling and have almost repurchased a few times. It might be a good option as you have suggested. The Z5 for me is slightly warmer than the 7550 in the mids, has heavier hitting bass, and more extended treble while having a similarly gentle sound in this area. The best to describe the difference in the Z5 has a grander sound while the 7550 is simply effortless. Beyond sound the 7550 cable is way way way more durable and even more comfortable. They both suffer from wind noise when in windy environments but the Z5 has less issues in this area and the Z5 is slightly more isolating.

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #2,220 of 5,805

Also, read this:
"I don't actually think the Z5 sounds 'better' than the A3 other than having more solid and controlled low frequencies. It certainly doesn't sound anything close to better like the price difference would suggest. Depending on how you like your treble, and how much you like your bass, you may prefer the Z5 or A3, or neither."

I've used the 7550s and they'd be exceptional for some professional work. But I'm looking for some enjoyment in my life. I'm a recovering treble-head.

I agree, I only enjoyed it with certain music. Z5 sounds great with everything comparatively. For that reason alone the Z5 is a better buy as it is more versatile.

Yeah, I usually hate bass heavy signatures but Z5 is really growing on me. Something about it is just really addicting, and I am hoping to get the upgraded Sony cable for it to see if it changes the sound any. 

I am using the Z5 out of the apogee groove and the bass is MUCH MUCH better than out of the rest of my gear. They really need an amp to shine, its not even a debate at this point.

But I am also a huge fan of more bright signatures thanks to the Venture Electronics Duke iem, which is bright vivid and analytical. Quite different from the Z5, and variety is always good :wink:
I am eventually going to pick up both the EX1000 and 7550 as I am somewhat of a sony fan and I would love to have the entire collection.

I've been warming up to warmer signatures but also want to pick up the 7550s and proper RK-EX1000LP cable for my EX1000s. (US variant shipped with EX600 cable. Because Sony just loves the US.) For some reason the collection needs to be complete, I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back