Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Sep 2, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #2,191 of 5,804
The CEA "Hi-Res" certification guidelines are very lax. Having that logo on the box doesn't really mean much... Not to say headphones with the cert are bad, but just don't be fooled by clever marketing. I still question these new NC IEMs. Hope to read some reviews soon!

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #2,192 of 5,804
  The CEA "Hi-Res" certification guidelines are very lax. Having that logo on the box doesn't really mean much... Not to say headphones with the cert are bad, but just don't be fooled by clever marketing. I still question these new NC IEMs. Hope to read some reviews soon!

IIRC, Sony has previously made an NC IEMs, but it was with the first wave of XBA headphones and they were fairly disappointing and very overpriced.

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #2,193 of 5,804
Wow sad news about the Z5. I think we need to wait and see if has just been discontinued for North America though as they often continue production in Asian markets.

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #2,194 of 5,804
Wow sad news about the Z5. I think we need to wait and see if has just been discontinued for North America though as they often continue production in Asian markets.

Looking through the sites for other markets like the UK and Japan it appears they're still front-and-center everywhere else. It's just the US that has erased them completely.

The US in-ear selection is pretty bare now in comparison. (Though, it always was.)

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #2,195 of 5,804
They did the same thing with the EX1000 still available elsewhere other than North America. The Z5 is an amazing IEM as good as anything Sony has ever made in that line and is only a year old, it would be silly for them to truly discontinue them this quickly.

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #2,196 of 5,804
They did the same thing with the EX1000 still available elsewhere other than North America. The Z5 is an amazing IEM as good as anything Sony has ever made in that line and is only a year old, it would be silly for them to truly discontinue them this quickly.

Agree, wouldn't hold my breath over this. For what is worth, to my knowledge XBA-Z5/A3 were never available in Europe via official distribution channels. It's the same with TOTL JVC, AT etc. Japanese logic, go figure...

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #2,197 of 5,804
Agree, wouldn't hold my breath over this. For what is worth, to my knowledge XBA-Z5/A3 were never available in Europe via official distribution channels. It's the same with TOTL JVC, AT etc. Japanese logic, go figure...

Oh, I confused the Z5 for the H3 on the UK site.

Wow, the UK never even got them. I feel bad for complaining that we had them and lost them.

Especially because they could have them available online-only and even ship them out straight from Japan to streamline locally stored product.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #2,199 of 5,804
Funny, I've been checking the Groupon page daily and this morning noticed that the quantity of XBA-Z5s sold last time dropped from six to five.

If they're not back up on Groupon by the end of the week I'm buying a set from Amazon.

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #2,201 of 5,804
If I could find a pair for $300 I would buy them as a backup in a heart beat. I honestly like the Z5 more than any IEM I have ever owned. I need to write up a review of them because they deserve it.

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #2,202 of 5,804
If I could find a pair for $300 I would buy them as a backup in a heart beat. I honestly like the Z5 more than any IEM I have ever owned. I need to write up a review of them because they deserve it.

Yes monday i will stab my wallet :D i'll get a pair of A3, considering they say those sound simnilar to the Z5's

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #2,203 of 5,804
At that price I would buy two. Hell, three.

One to use with the Bluetooth cable, one for at-home listening and one just for backup. Because I still fear that cable connection.

And darn, I haven't even listened to them yet! Why am I going into this so blind? Why am I so excited? I'm not sure but I haven't wanted earphones this much in a long time and it's kinda freaking me out.

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #2,204 of 5,804
I am interested by the Z5, but two things worry me :

-the cable connector doesn't seem solid

-sound signature : I heard that mediums are recessed. Does the Z5 have a V signature ? How is the overall sound signature ?

I use a DX 90 btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back