Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Dec 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #691 of 5,804
I don't have a balanced amp or DAC at this point so can't say for sure in regards to these headphones. But I have heard balanced rigs at Head-fi meets and there is a definite improvement in left and right seperation and cleaner presentation because they no longer share a common ground which reduces crosstalk and noise. I actually have a friend who makes amps and is very knowledgeable who let me A/B various headphones in standard vs balanced configurations and I could definitely hear the larger sound stage, better instrument separation, and reduced noise in every configuration.

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #692 of 5,804
I don't have a balanced amp or DAC at this point so can't say for sure in regards to these headphones. But I have heard balanced rigs at Head-fi meets and there is a definite improvement in left and right seperation and cleaner presentation because they no longer share a common ground which reduces crosstalk and noise. I actually have a friend who makes amps and is very knowledgeable who let me A/B various headphones in standard vs balanced configurations and I could definitely hear the larger sound stage, better instrument separation, and reduced noise in every configuration.

Thank you for the explanation much appreciated. Means you will be going with the PHA-3?

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #693 of 5,804
I am thinking to go Pono versus PHA-3. If I like the balanced sound enough to justify having a balanced desktop DAC I might then save up for the PHA-3.

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #694 of 5,804
I ma listening to some sacred music by Cipriano de Rore, the album is from 2012 (Hyperion records), it sounds amazing, like 24-bit, despite being 16-bits std resolution.

It sounds so inmersive with my MDR-1R, the voices so clear and like being there, so my point is you really need good mastering, good engineers, equipemnt, than just 8 bits to make it hi.rez

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #695 of 5,804
  $499 on Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/XBA-Z5-Balanced-Armature-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00PF89YXG/

I found this listing on Amazon earlier today.  I haven't been around head-fi much over the past year, and came by as I am in the market for new universal IEMs (but not yet willing to go to the $1,000USD price range, especially since I have zero interest in customs).  I have these in my Amazon shopping cart, but haven't gotten myself to pull the trigger yet as I wonder about the price disparity.  I doubt they are counterfeits, but these days, who knows?  ***For anyone here in the U.S. that ordered these from Amazon using this seller:  is there a serial number plate on the inside of the box (where the IEMs are attached)?

In any event, I've read this entire thread, and I do note the less than universal praise for the Z5's.  However, since Amazon fulfills for this seller, I might just take the plunge & return them if I am less than impressed.

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #696 of 5,804
A few places have had them on sale for 499. NCIX Canada being one. I say go for it :). No need for Universal praise, just your own :wink:.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #697 of 5,804
I found this listing on Amazon earlier today.  I haven't been around head-fi much over the past year, and came by as I am in the market for new universal IEMs (but not yet willing to go to the $1,000USD price range, especially since I have zero interest in customs).  I have these in my Amazon shopping cart, but haven't gotten myself to pull the trigger yet as I wonder about the price disparity.  I doubt they are counterfeits, but these days, who knows?  ***For anyone here in the U.S. that ordered these from Amazon using this seller:  is there a serial number plate on the inside of the box (where the IEMs are attached)?

In any event, I've read this entire thread, and I do note the less than universal praise for the Z5's.  However, since Amazon fulfills for this seller, I might just take the plunge & return them if I am less than impressed.

Yes, there was a serial number plate on the pair I bought from that seller.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #698 of 5,804
I made a nice balanced dual 3.5mm mini to 4-Pin XLR balanced adapter for the Sony XBA-Z5 / MDR-Z7. I can make more if people are interested. Better than tearing up the stock balanced cable. Works phenomenally.

Pinout:

1 - L+
2 - L-
3 - R+
4 - R-

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #699 of 5,804
Wow lots of pages here, can someone sum it up for me? How does the Sony XBA-Z5 compare to the Shure SE846? Thise would be the two I'd check out if I wasn't going CIEM and or to use with a PHA-3.

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #703 of 5,804
We have a new challenger! [JVC HA-FX1100]

Quote:
I'm in tokyo at the moment and got to try these .. and 'WOW' these are the most amazing iems I have ever tried and I'm coming from a 846. The soundstage is amazing and sound like big headphones to me. It's extremely impactful in all aspects from the 1/2 hour I tried it. I love them so much ... I will be getting a pair these few days. Bass is huge and impactful, vocals are perfect, smooth and in front. Just perfect for what I want for an iem. I just love how they sound. 10mins before I stubbled upon these I bought a sony Z5 .. they're pretty good but they were more expensive than the 1100 here. Wish I could've exchanged it. damn too late.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #704 of 5,804
I know I said I was disappointed by the Z5 before when I tried them in hong kong. Maybe it was the tips or something it made it sound wrong for me .. I'm now using the hybrid tips which are my favourite tips other than the shure olives.

I am listening to my new Z5 now and comparing it to my old H3. It is in every single way better than the H3. The sound is really outside my head .. I guess where 'feel the air' comes from. This unit's bass doesn't overpower the vocals or anything by any means .. vocals are great, very strong and full. Clarity is amazing ... it does pick up everything in the recording that the H3 doesn't. OK .. I love these.  The Z7 sounds bigger overall and a different enjoyment. Still I want to try the JVC FX1100 tomorrow after a few hours on the Z5 tonight.

So far the Z5 is impressive out of the box.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #705 of 5,804
  Whoat. I'm impressed. I prefer it to SE846 and possibly even the UERM.

out of the box .. maybe it is new toy syndrome .. but I'm also extremely impressed with the Z5. Comparing to the 846 .. the Z5 is way more open but keeping how well the 846 does vocals as well. 
It is a much more out of the head experience but it's not distant either .. vocals are full and powerful. I'm using the hybrid tips which make it less bassy but using the JVC spiral dots give it great thumping bass without affecting mids. I can't see anyone not liking these as a all rounder for the price.

One thing that the 846 does well is isolation where as the H3 and Z5 are similar and doesn't really isolate that much unless you use comply tips I think. 846 is great on planes.
Both are very comfortable for me. The H3 has always been one of the most comfortable and just disappear and you're left with the music .. I guess Z5 will be the same. 

of course I only had the Z5 for a few hours .. opinions might change after a while but so far .. it's excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back