Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Nov 4, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #406 of 5,804
Can anyone proficient in both korean and reading the graphs please shed some light??

I can't help with the korean, but this is a good frequency response. The mids are elevated in the vocal range, where the human ear focuses its attention. Elevated subbass sounds more natural as well. The dip in the lower treble is where there is a natural resonance spike in a human ear canal plugged by an earphone. Notice how the graph stops being graduated at 10khz? That's because this sort of measurement isn't accurate after 10khz. So, the drop is likely a measurement artifact.

Sony knows what it's doing.

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #408 of 5,804
I keep coming back ,sorry.

But any reviews on A1,2,3?

(Sorry wrong quote, this is in regard to the graph inquiry)

Those graphs show bloated bass, and a sibilant peak. For the peak it may be reduced via insertion so that's not definite. There is a lack of treble extension and I doubt that will change with insetion, Think it's worse than H3 in this regard. Distortion is somewhat high but hard to tell if it's audible as this method of measurement exaggerates the volume levels to expose it. EX1000 though has a lot less distortion.

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #409 of 5,804
(Sorry wrong quote, this is in regard to the graph inquiry)

Those graphs show bloated bass, and a sibilant peak. For the peak it may be reduced via insertion so that's not definite. There is a lack of treble extension and I doubt that will change with insetion, Think it's worse than H3 in this regard. Distortion is somewhat high but hard to tell if it's audible as this method of measurement exaggerates the volume levels to expose it. EX1000 though has a lot less distortion.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDREX1000.pdf

Yeah ex1000 looks way more flat.
Funny in the graph itself there is classic v-shape in z5.

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #411 of 5,804
  H3 vs. Z5: click on the first graph, then click right and left arrows to see the difference.

Is z5 more v shaped??

Both treble peak at 10 k and bass are more than h3
popcorn.gif
.I must admit i don't know much.

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #414 of 5,804
finally got my Z7 & Z5.  Enjoying the Z5 right now.  Disappointed by the cable.  The prepro I tried had the same cable as H3.  I have two H3 so I guess I'll swap the cable.  :)  Unboxing video to come.  

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #417 of 5,804
 Originally Posted by joey99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I also have the same impression as BRCMRGN with the IE800 compared to the H3. It just sounds too thin for me on vocals .. I love the H3 much much more .. my IE800 are also going up for sale as well.

My IE800 sounded fairly good on my iphone4 but on the iphone6 it sounds really bad as it takes out the mids even more but H3 sound marvelous on it for some reason.

Can't wait till December to get the Z5 in Hong Kong. Now I want to paint my H3 semi-gloss black :)

Joey I saw the whole lines in stores already in HK (was in computer mall in Wan Chai), you might want to check them out

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #418 of 5,804
  H3 vs. Z5: click on the first graph, then click right and left arrows to see the difference.

That basically it. I am going for 7550/1000 instead of this.

It kinda confirmed my short experience with it, I found the bass too much, although it sound more control than H3 it is still too much for me.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608553/review-comparison-two-flagships-pass-in-the-night-sony-xba-4-review-vs-the-mdr-ex1000-updated-with-7550-and-xba-40/135

I kinda prefer a more natural approach

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #419 of 5,804
  finally got my Z7 & Z5.  Enjoying the Z5 right now.  Disappointed by the cable.  The prepro I tried had the same cable as H3.  I have two H3 so I guess I'll swap the cable.  :)  Unboxing video to come.  

Is it safe to assume the Z5's bass does not "leak" to mids like its headphone cousin Z7?

...and is tghe Z5's sound quality right up there with other high-end iem's such as  high-end hybrids,  JH-Roxanne, Shure 846, Senn ie800 and JVC "woodies" ?

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #420 of 5,804

Is it safe to assume the Z5's bass does not "leak" to mids like its headphone cousin Z7?

...and is tghe Z5's sound quality right up there with other high-end iem's such as  high-end hybrids,  JH-Roxanne, Shure 846, Senn ie800 and JVC "woodies" ?

these are the questions we've all been wondering. is it hype, or is it truth? are the sonys that good ?

EDIT: most importantly, are they $700 good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back