Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Oct 25, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #271 of 5,804
  Measurements. Looks pretty bad, sibilant, bass bloated, limited bandwidth and high distortion. Z7 measures a lot better, though it lacks some treble extension. Maybe it measures better with a more shallow fit and vent mod, but I don't see it dethroning the EX1000 as the best Sony IEM. Or maybe the real gems are the A3 and or the A2. 

Sibilant at 10 khz? OK, you took ref. plane measearuments? And do you realize you'll probably get quite a different picture given 6mm from ref. plane? Like, longer bandwidth, no 10 khz peak. And a listener will never ever be able to insert Z5 deep in his ear canal to the ref. plane without godlike surgery on his ears and skull.

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #272 of 5,804
  Currently auditioning the Final Audio Lab 1.  I don't know how to feel about the XBA-Z5 now....
confused.gif

My ears are so confused.

Care to elaborate? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #273 of 5,804
I'm guessing he means the Z5 sounds off or tonally colored coming from the Lab I if all the reports of heavy bass boost are accurate. Very curious what he's got to say myself

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #275 of 5,804
  Sibilant at 10 khz? OK, you took ref. plane measearuments? And do you realize you'll probably get quite a different picture given 6mm from ref. plane? Like, longer bandwidth, no 10 khz peak. And a listener will never ever be able to insert Z5 deep in his ear canal to the ref. plane without godlike surgery on his ears and skull.

Shh, you're not supposed to think about how the measurements were taken.
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #276 of 5,804

Well the further from reference plane, the lower down the spectrum the resonance is i.e more sibilance, shorter bandwidth.

And no, the Z5 isn't sibilance at all with the default tips, though that might be due to the fact that I listen to Jpop most of the time. But that kind of treble isn't something you look for at this price range.

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #277 of 5,804
I can get the EX1000 to the reference place and likely these too. I did mention the possibly of shallow being better as well.

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #278 of 5,804
  Well the further from reference plane, the lower down the spectrum the resonance is i.e more sibilance, shorter bandwidth.

And no, the Z5 isn't sibilance at all with the default tips, though that might be due to the fact that I listen to Jpop most of the time. But that kind of treble isn't something you look for at this price range.

I've no doubt Z5 is smooth n sib free, yo :wink: cheers
Just to make sure we're on the page. Ref plane - 10 khz resonance, the further from ref plane - the more 5-8 khz resonance. Not without exceptions, but that's the rule.
Look at Z5 graph. They're smart at Sony's. Warm mids and very smooth upper mids. Can't tell the treble, I dare to say good extension up to 18 khz and not much of a zigzag. Not necessarily shorter bandwidth.

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #280 of 5,804
Didn't you get the memo?
XBA series is NOT striving to measure like a ER4 on graphs&charts...

If anything... the XBA Z5 graphs looks like the UE Triple fi 10.

Now that you mentioned EX1000... Sony's GOAT IEM's
I own MDR 7550... said to be similar sounding to EX1000 in the bass regions.
7550 is basically bass-dissectors to my ears (still warm side of neutral) but it lacks the "punch" in the sub bass region needed for me to enjoy electronic & rap/hiphop.

Measurements. Looks pretty bad, sibilant, bass bloated, limited bandwidth and high distortion. Z7 measures a lot better, though it lacks some treble extension. Maybe it measures better with a more shallow fit and vent mod, but I don't see it dethroning the EX1000 as the best Sony IEM. Or maybe the real gems are the A3 and or the A2. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #281 of 5,804
just doing ab with my xba h3 - track because we believe - Andrea Boracelli

i) vocal is more forward, Andrea voice' really sweet here.

ii) reveal more nuances in highs

iii) feel a tad airy compare to h3

iv) however when compare to A3, everything is just tad above.

v) love new cable design. more "serious" looks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back