Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Oct 3, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #182 of 5,804
Thanks, thatonenoob. Much appreciated. I'm glad to hear the magnesium earpieces are light, they should be very durable.

Can you say more about the clarity of the z5? I know it's hard to talk about detail when listening in a noisy room. Was the isolation sufficient to block out the envirommental noise?

Also, how did male and female voices sound? How was the timbre, did instruments sound true to life?

The clarity was very good.  It's definitely not an Etymotics-level analytical sound, but you will hear a lot of detail.  The Z5 subtly includes detail, and doesn't make it a point to show you how detailed it is (which is great),  The isolation was solid, and I couldn't hear the people next to me when I had volume up to around 40%.  Vocals in general sounded good.  A touch of bass line combined with good mids made for a very engaging and lively sound, in my opinion.  For instruments, it was really hard to say (I generally prefer to deliver judgements on classical at home), but what I got from the event was that the Z5's aren't too bad in that area.    

The fit is awkward though.  I mean, it feels like you have two USBs plugged into your ears.  I wish there was a bit of a rounded support in the back to conform to the shape of one's ears.

In general, it depends heavily on your tastes.  If you like the rounded, comfortable sound, then the Z5 is for you.  If you're into something a bit more intense, you may need to test the Z5s before making a purchase.

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #183 of 5,804
  Rice? ahahahah

I'm tired of Sony's lack of exclusives in their flagships! 
frown.gif

If rice cannot be deemed as an exclusive novelty with the purchase of a sony xba-z5 = instant deal breaker.

I recall that the sony a-3s have rice included with a purchase as well. So if Sony would stop including rice with a purchase of the Xba-A series, then the rice exclusivity for the Z5 would produce a worthy flagship to purchase for their lineup.

tongue.gif
 Just my two cents.

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #184 of 5,804
  I'm tired of Sony's lack of exclusives in their flagships! 
frown.gif

If rice cannot be deemed as an exclusive novelty with the purchase of a sony xba-z5 = instant deal breaker.

I recall that the sony a-3s have rice included with a purchase as well. So if Sony would stop including rice with a purchase of the Xba-A series, then the rice exclusivity for the Z5 would produce a worthy flagship to purchase for their lineup.

tongue.gif
 Just my two cents.

beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #185 of 5,804
had a very short try in their showroom last weekend (since the salesperson has her eye glue on my back, probably because the earphone cost 6k HKD and I looked like a bum).

Since surrounding was very noisy and I didn't had a chance to really listen to it, that's not a lot I can add, however I do have some questions for those who tried it ( Thatonenoob, Lemonhk and others).

I found the bass heavy but I actually feel it to be lighter than H3, I was pleasantly surprise to find the lack of mid bass bloat as in H3, details seems to be quite good but I do not think it to be significantly better than H3. Compared to H3 I think it got a better control bass and probably a bit better space. Like I said, I only have a few minutes to listen to it and not the best environment so it could be quite off.

A3 treble sound somewhat brighter than Z5, while bass and space a bit weaker than Z5 ( I only got less than 30 secs on A3 so I don't have much impression to speak of).

Anyone got more impression on A3? And how does it compares with Z5?

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #186 of 5,804
  had a very short try in their showroom last weekend (since the salesperson has her eye glue on my back, probably because the earphone cost 6k HKD and I looked like a bum).

Since surrounding was very noisy and I didn't had a chance to really listen to it, that's not a lot I can add, however I do have some questions for those who tried it ( Thatonenoob, Lemonhk and others).

I found the bass heavy but I actually feel it to be lighter than H3, I was pleasantly surprise to find the lack of mid bass bloat as in H3, details seems to be quite good but I do not think it to be significantly better than H3. Compared to H3 I think it got a better control bass and probably a bit better space. Like I said, I only have a few minutes to listen to it and not the best environment so it could be quite off.

A3 treble sound somewhat brighter than Z5, while bass and space a bit weaker than Z5 ( I only got less than 30 secs on A3 so I don't have much impression to speak of).

Anyone got more impression on A3? And how does it compares with Z5?

Hey Mark!

My impressions may be off too, but I have to say that the Z5 has a rather "unique" signature that is quite similar to the MDR-Z7 (the same technology was used).  It is warm, and a tad bassier, but at the same time, it doesn't give the sense that the earphones are for bassheads.  The trebles on the Z5 really "expand" the sound stage, and the slightly dialed back mids create that "spacious" feeling.  In general, it was just a very smooth and warm sound signature.  Comfortable is the word I'd use!  

Now I don't have the impressions for the A3, but I will be getting units and writing a comprehensive review soon! 
etysmile.gif

Cheers, 
Thatonenoob

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #187 of 5,804
Thanks Thatonenoob, looking forward to your review.

Am very happy with my xba 30 and have been itching for an upgrade for a while, but the H3 for me is a disappointment so I am eagerly waiting for the next flagship.

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #193 of 5,804
Here are some impressions posted on AndAudio, a Taiwanese audio forum. They're impressions off a demo unit at a Sony location in Ginza. Original text found here: http://www.andaudio.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=115589&start=3875. The poster has the following gear listed in his sig:

Closed: W5000/W3000ANV/W1000X/W1000/A900XLTD/A900Ti
Open: SR-507/AD2000X/AD2000/AD1000PRM/AD1000/SA3000/MA900
IEM: EX1000/CK100PRO/IM02/Aurvana-In-Ear2

XBA-Z5
Driven directly by Z1070 and Fiio X3, compared with MDR-EX1000

The Z5's bass is powerful (in fact perhaps too strong), mid is weighty, with a smallish soundstage that feels very enveloping. Treble is improved in fullness and extension from the XBA-H3, but overall there is still a sense of grain from the BA driver (an unnaturalness to the sound seemingly created by vibrating metal parts). The Z5's resolution is comparable to triple BA IEMs [perhaps referring to his own CK100PRO], though maybe slightly better than Sony's own XBA-30/40.

My present assessment is that the Z5 still isn't a replacement for the EX1000. The EX1000's soundstage is large and natural, with a complementary signature that is smooth and easy. The Z5 tends toward a modern popular tuning, bass hefty and rhythmic, mid forward, vocals in particular, and treble bright.

The Z5 is a bit like the CKR10, with the same bass heavy, mid forward, and enveloping sound. Actually their treble response is rather similar as well. Currently I would rank these two as equal. According to a clerk, the Z5 is not burned in at all so once the unit is sufficiently burned in, I'll find time to give the Z5 a final evaluation.

As of this moment, I don't think the Z5 is worth its price of 65000yen. Overall it doesn't perform as well as the EX1000, or Audio-Technica's ATH-IM03.

Resolution: Z5
Overall balance: EX1000
Soundstage: EX1000
Treble response: each has its own pros (but the EX1000 is more natural and non-fatiguing)
Vocals: EX1000

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #194 of 5,804
Doesn't sound like this is compelling enough for me to spend that kind of dough, if it isn't a significant step up from the EX1000.... Especially after recently picking up the Parterre, and ASG-2.5. I'm spoiled on spaciousness now.

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #195 of 5,804
Nothing in the IEM world has the EX-1000 soundstage, nothing. 

How hard is it for sony to focus on remaking the EX-1000 with the treble fixed, they already have the design just focus on the tuning. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back