Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jan 21, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #842 of 5,804
The price of the Z5 stopped me buying until now, but I just randomly felt the sudden huge need to have them today, so ordered 
biggrin.gif

I only just started to appreciate that the Z5 is not really so overpriced, as the production of completely new and advanced BA units built in Japan certainly can't come cheap, coupled with the magnesium housings and Al coated driver, it all adds up. Certainly the Z5 can't be compared to other hybrids, which all use off the shelf BA, drivers and crossovers, from China. Sony is completely engineering each driver to perfection, as they don't use a crossover, there is no room for error in the drivers target frequency production. Very elegant design imo.

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #843 of 5,804
  The price of the Z5 stopped me buying until now, but I just randomly felt the sudden huge need to have them today, so ordered 
biggrin.gif

I only just started to appreciate that the Z5 is not really so overpriced, as the production of completely new and advanced BA units built in Japan certainly can't come cheap, coupled with the magnesium housings and Al coated driver, it all adds up. Certainly the Z5 can't be compared to other hybrids, which all use off the shelf BA, drivers and crossovers, from China. Sony is completely engineering each driver to perfection, as they don't use a crossover, there is no room for error in the drivers target frequency production. Very elegant design imo.

I think they're worth the money, but then again they were half the price (at least here in the US) of the Shure SE846 that I think they're comparable to in many ways. I think the price is only a hurting point in comparison to the rest of the Sony's current IEM lineup.

Just to warn you, the bass is a little bombastic on first listen, but it settles in quite nicely after a lot of burn in. I kept mine playing 24/7 for a few days and they sound lovely now.

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #844 of 5,804

Just to warn you, the bass is a little bombastic on first listen, but it settles in quite nicely after a lot of burn in. I kept mine playing 24/7 for a few days and they sound lovely now.

Agree. Just now after 200 hours+ I'm fully satisfied with the bass- right quantity and perfect quality! 

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #845 of 5,804
The best ear tips for me (by far) are the old gray Phonak silicones (large size).  A shame they went out of business.  I also have some black Phonak/Audeo silicones, but they are for slim-barrel; much too narrow to fit on the Z5 (like my Westone Star tips).

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #846 of 5,804
The best ear tips for me (by far) are the old gray Phonak silicones (large size).  A shame they went out of business.  I also have some black Phonak/Audeo silicones, but they are for slim-barrel; much too narrow to fit on the Z5 (like my Westone Star tips).

well now i ordered eartips AKG k3003 size M , hope its perfect for my z5

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #847 of 5,804

well now i ordered eartips AKG k3003 size M , hope its perfect for my z5

Cool, please report back to advise if the AKG tips work on the Z5.  I don't like having only one pair of tips that work well, & since the gray Phonak tips don't seem to be avaialble, I'll pny-up to try the AKG tips if they fit..  I am surprised I don't like the Sony Hybrids, as those tips have worked very well for me on other IEMs.  Bass just sounds so bloated, and treble a bit too recessed w/ the Sony tips.  Weird.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #848 of 5,804
Cool, please report back to advise if the AKG tips work on the Z5.  I don't like having only one pair of tips that work well, & since the gray Phonak tips don't seem to be avaialble, I'll pny-up to try the AKG tips if they fit..  I am surprised I don't like the Sony Hybrids, as those tips have worked very well for me on other IEMs.  Bass just sounds so bloated, and treble a bit too recessed w/ the Sony tips.  Weird.

roger , around 15 febuary ill report back , i use eartips ortofon M and spinfit M to small for my z5 , not comfortable , so i odered ortofon L and AKG k3003 too..
they said AKG k3003 eartips have great soundstage and so comfortable , cant wait :D

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #849 of 5,804
Hello guys im new here. I'm currently using XBA H3 from Sony , i just love them sound signature never heard in any iems so good 3d sounding, can not make a decision between just would jump on xba z5 but i also would buy In Ear Stage Driver SD-3 , if i looking for airness and 3d sound signature which headphones i should buy. Many Thanks

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #850 of 5,804
I can not comment on the In Ear Stage Driver SD-3 But I have owned the H3 and vastly prefer the Z5 over that IEM.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #852 of 5,804
  Ok thanks could you say they are more airness and wider soundstage as xba h3? 
ps.Still would hear opinions about xba z5 vs InEar Stage Driver SD-3 

Some comments have been made on this thread basically confirming the Z5 is leaps and bounds ahead of the H3. [1][2]

You'll need a PHA-3 to get the very best sound from it, though.[3]

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #855 of 5,804
The more I use my Z7 the more I want to try the Z5...

Afraid I am down the same path :p

The Z5 and Z7 are definitely cut from the same sonic cloth so to speak. I love the slight change in focus from grand to detailed, it allows me to have both while still having a similar signature to work from. BTW while I can only go from memory versus an actual A/B comparison I believe the Z5 is much more vibrant than the H3.

Oh my, from your impressions of Z7/Z5, I think I would love the Z5 definitely... plus it would make the PHA-3 investment a better return which is no doubt intended by Sony :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back