Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jan 7, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #5,148 of 5,804
How many hours burn-in?
When I first got my ZX300 I went to e earphone and tried a secondhand Z5 balanced and the bass was horrid. I was really disappointed because I was intending to upgrade from my XBA-A3 and was expecting a nice step up. About 6 months later I saw a good price for a secondhand Z5 on here and decided to buy them anyway. They sounded really mpressive like I had expected them to be - I put this down to the fact that I had no burn-in time on my ZX300, and as Sony recommends, and seems to be regularly verified by many ZX300 owners they need up to 200 hours on them. Perhaps the ZX507 could be the same?

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #5,149 of 5,804
How many hours burn-in?
When I first got my ZX300 I went to e earphone and tried a secondhand Z5 balanced and the bass was horrid. I was really disappointed because I was intending to upgrade from my XBA-A3 and was expecting a nice step up. About 6 months later I saw a good price for a secondhand Z5 on here and decided to buy them anyway. They sounded really mpressive like I had expected them to be - I put this down to the fact that I had no burn-in time on my ZX300, and as Sony recommends, and seems to be regularly verified by many ZX300 owners they need up to 200 hours on them. Perhaps the ZX507 could be the same?

I’m well past 200 hours, probably close to 300 now. I’m pretty sure it’s just the Z5 because other sets sound excellent with the ZX507 (M9 & Z1R)

Maybe I’ve just become accustomed to the TA & 1Z sound with the Z5. The mid bass sounds much more refined with them

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #5,150 of 5,804
I’m well past 200 hours, probably close to 300 now. I’m pretty sure it’s just the Z5 because other sets sound excellent with the ZX507 (M9 & Z1R)

Maybe I’ve just become accustomed to the TA & 1Z sound with the Z5. The mid bass sounds much more refined with them
Yes, your ears do get used to a pairing. I haven't read about the ZX300 - ZX507 comparisons, but I didn't imagine it to be too different, I might be wrong. After replacing my Z5 with another iem I didn't want any regrets so I never listened to them for the few months until I sold them, then just before I boxed them up and sent them, I had a quick listen to them with the stock 3.5mm cable from my S10 phone and they still sounded half decent which surprised me. The TA and the 1Z are on another level though.

Jan 9, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #5,151 of 5,804
Spent most of the day with the Z5 playing around with different sources. A surprising favourite was with the PHA-2A.

PHA-2A has a relatively neutral/bright signature in comparison to the rest of my gear and I think that compliments the Z5 well. Mids and treble get a nice elevation which makes the Z5 sound more balanced, while still maintaining that epic bass that comes naturally to the Z5. Mid bass gets toned down a notch which I like.

Does anyone else pair a PHA-2A with Z5? I’ve never heard the WM1A but I’ve read that its signature is somewhat similar to PHA-2A.

926371A4-2938-49F1-A2B6-77534D087728.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #5,152 of 5,804
Spent most of the day with the Z5 playing around with different sources. A surprising favourite was with the PHA-2A.

PHA-2A has a relatively neutral/bright signature in comparison to the rest of my gear and I think that compliments the Z5 well. Mids and treble get a nice elevation which makes the Z5 sound more balanced, while still maintaining that epic bass that comes naturally to the Z5. Mid bass gets toned down a notch which I like.

Does anyone else pair a PHA-2A with Z5? I’ve never heard the WM1A but I’ve read that its signature is somewhat similar to PHA-2A.

Listening to the 1Z and Z5 combo with firmware 3.02 was an intriguing experience. Though maybe the one artifact was a slight section of the midrange where sounds would get jumbled up and lose detail for a moment. Still that’s being critical and maybe due to simply judging the Z5 against the IER-Z1R and Noble Audio Encore as competitors? I guess I still would like the XBA-Z5 to be a flagship.......if it was ever one in the line-up? Still after all these years it’s a character! Big sound, romantic bass and an easy going nature. Cheers!

But overall 3.02 is a nice new tone for them bringing them more in line with the sound I would want. Also the 1Z in my use seems slightly brighter than the TA desktop adding the upper detail I’m looking for?

If the PHA-2A is more on the neutral/bright then I bet it is complementary! Nice!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #5,153 of 5,804
@Redcarmoose Agreed, they are very very good with WM1Z with 3.02fw. And like you, I feel like I'm constantly benchmarking the Z5 with the Z1R and for me it just falls short in every aspect, especially in the treble region. It's a similar story paired with DMP-Z1.

I feel like the PHA-2A gives the Z5 another flavour, bringing out something to differentiate it from the Z1R.

Yes I find the TA is a bit mellow in comparison to 1Z with the Z5's. Very smooth but maybe a little too smooth. Have you spent much time with the 1A and Z5?

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #5,154 of 5,804
@Redcarmoose Agreed, they are very very good with WM1Z with 3.02fw. And like you, I feel like I'm constantly benchmarking the Z5 with the Z1R and for me it just falls short in every aspect, especially in the treble region. It's a similar story paired with DMP-Z1.

I feel like the PHA-2A gives the Z5 another flavour, bringing out something to differentiate it from the Z1R.

Yes I find the TA is a bit mellow in comparison to 1Z with the Z5's. Very smooth but maybe a little too smooth. Have you spent much time with the 1A and Z5?

I was just going to reiterate before you just posted. I need to spend time with the 1A/XBA-Z5 combination? Though I’m not sure which firmware to explore?

With my use......the 1A normally performs better with 3.01. I use the Fearless S6Rui, Noble Encore and Sony IER-Z1R with 3.01 in use. Though from memory the XBA-Z5 has even more bass (than IER-Z1R IEM)........ which (may) end up a slight issue? For me and many the 3.02 update gave the 1A a style of steely bass that was thin and recessed?

Crazy too as the Walkman 1A is not known for having excessive bass issues with any IEM so maybe 3.01 will work? I will check it out and report back. As we all know, tone is important and can take precedence over other factors such as technicality. Though it’s always a balance and is the sum of all things involved. The 1A has always been referred to as a more reference DAP where the 1Z has a Hi/Fi character with it’s bass and treble boost. But maybe part of the 1A experience is to sit back and and let it just be what it is. I’ve actually taken the 1A on trips where it can kind of stand on it’s own merits alone. The 1A has a conservative and special character where if by itself provides an amazing experience. IMO In my use I feel the 1A.....may actually be the most underrated product Sony sells? It’s by far the best value! It walks the line between not being the most pricy but performs at such a level that you start to think it may be all you need. So.........now in 2020....to pair it up with an aging 2014....$399 flagship may be worth an investigation! :)

In my use the N3 has the most bass, XBA-Z5 second and IER-Z1R a third......but I’m not a bass head. Pretty much heaven is 3.02 with the 1Z and IER-Z1R?

In comparison to an IPhone or something.....the Walkman 1A does offer a subtle warmth yet not as warm as the 1Z. It’s benefits over a phone is an expanded soundstage and detail. Also before 3.02 came out with the 1Z ....the 1A was actually my preference with the IER-Z1R due to it’s bass curtailing with 3.01, where 3.01 and the IER-Z1R/1Z combo was almost too murky?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #5,155 of 5,804

Yes, the smoothness with the Sony TA-ZH1ES seems to always be complementary to the full-size MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7. It’s not like there was ever a treble issue with the Z5.........for anyone.....ever? Also I’m not one of those who had treble heat problems with the IER-Z1R? Though of course we read of folks not tolerating the IER-Z1R due to the treble boost. The TA brings better power to the full-size MDR-Z1R, which ends as cure for the lower bass issues some have, along with joining the Kimber aftermarket cable? The TA IS dead quiet and......one of only a few desktops which can do IEM duty. It’s a great desktop combo with the Noble Encore IEM, as it’s warm with no noise floor. IMO But there are a handful of super sensitive IEMs which can exploit any hum found, where the TA is absolutely perfect being quiet for what it is.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #5,156 of 5,804
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #5,157 of 5,804
I was just going to reiterate before you just posted. I need to spend time with the 1A/XBA-Z5 combination? Though I’m not sure which firmware to explore?

With my use......the 1A normally performs better with 3.01. I use the Fearless S6Rui, Noble Encore and Sony IER-Z1R with 3.01 in use. Though from memory the XBA-Z5 has even more bass (than IER-Z1R IEM)........ which (may) end up a slight issue? For me and many the 3.02 update gave the 1A a style of steely bass that was thin and recessed?

Crazy too as the Walkman 1A is not known for having excessive bass issues with any IEM so maybe 3.01 will work? I will check it out and report back. As we all know, tone is important and can take precedence over other factors such as technicality. Though it’s always a balance and is the sum of all things involved. The 1A has always been referred to as a more reference DAP where the 1Z has a Hi/Fi character with it’s bass and treble boost. But maybe part of the 1A experience is to sit back and and let it just be what it is. I’ve actually taken the 1A on trips where it can kind of stand on it’s own merits alone. The 1A has a conservative and special character where if by itself provides an amazing experience. IMO In my use I feel the 1A.....may actually be the most underrated product Sony sells? It’s by far the best value! It walks the line between not being the most pricy but performs at such a level that you start to think it may be all you need. So.........now in 2020....to pair it up with an aging 2014....$399 flagship may be worth an investigation! :)

In my use the N3 has the most bass, XBA-Z5 second and IER-Z1R a third......but I’m not a bass head. Pretty much heaven is 3.02 with the 1Z and IER-Z1R?

In comparison to an IPhone or something.....the Walkman 1A does offer a subtle warmth yet not as warm as the 1Z. It’s benefits over a phone is an expanded soundstage and detail. Also before 3.02 came out with the 1Z ....the 1A was actually my preference with the IER-Z1R due to it’s bass curtailing with 3.01, where 3.01 and the IER-Z1R/1Z combo was almost too murky?

Maybe that thinned out low end on 3.02 fw with the 1A will work well with the Z5, possibly even better than PHA-2A because of the added technical abilities of the DAP. Will be interested to hear your findings. Who knows, you may enjoy it even more than the 1Z/Z1R combo?! :D

It’s funny how the Z5’s greatest strength can also be it’s greatest weakness. It’s bass can sound so great with the right source. But with slightly too much emphasis the mid bass gets thrown into a mess. And once that mid bass gets bloated, it’s really hard to ignore.

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #5,158 of 5,804
Maybe that thinned out low end on 3.02 fw with the 1A will work well with the Z5, possibly even better than PHA-2A because of the added technical abilities of the DAP. Will be interested to hear your findings. Who knows, you may enjoy it even more than the 1Z/Z1R combo?! :D

It’s funny how the Z5’s greatest strength can also be it’s greatest weakness. It’s bass can sound so great with the right source. But with slightly too much emphasis the mid bass gets thrown into a mess. And once that mid bass gets bloated, it’s really hard to ignore.

That’s maybe part of the XBA-Z5 miss understanding? The fact that underpowered even the IER-Z1R bass is better without issues. Underpowered the XBA-Z5 is nothing to write home about. But.....at the same time it has personality too when powered right. IMO

The worst IS the mid-bass fog, and slowness. The greatest thing is getting the bass to become responsive and fast. And obviously that bass texture and timbre is still miles above what a balanced armature bass is capable of...........any and all of them!

I’d rather have some charisma and have it be even messed up, as at least it’s not boring. EDM is a special ability........maybe the soundstage and bass, maybe the fact that the Z5 doesn’t make edgy electronic music too bright? Also as we find out how source dependent it is, that means there is something there. IMO Probable that many who own better IEMs will not care if they use the Z5 they own or not? Still I have a short history with it and want to continue to a point, even if the Z5 is not used as frequently. :)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #5,159 of 5,804
Sony XBA-Z5 with Sony Hybrid Large Tips
Sony NW-WM1A DIgital Audio Player (Japanese Tourist Edition) FW 3.02
Sony/Kimber Headphone cable MUC-M12SB1

DSC_0038.jpeg
screenshot_20160101_000802352.png screenshot_20160101_002220368.png

Started this test with the 1A with firmware 3.01 and the Sony/Kimber cable with Sony Hybrid tips and the XBA-Z5. I choose the 96/24 of Tool’s Fear Inoculum as I really don’t know the album. I wanted to give the combination a chance to perform on it’s own merits regardless of technicality. When you don’t know music well, the sounds can be accepted on their own terms without judging realism. IMO Starting from the album’s self titled first track the music kind of unpackages. First off you start to get the old tell-tale Sony sound; like you should using a Sony DAP,cable and IEM laughingly enough! My issue was actually in the lower midrange again. But this time it wasn’t so much a foggy response but the bass and drums had an area of tone which everything was clumped together. Not exactly like cardboard box drums, but going that direction. So after a couple songs I decided to go to an album that I know inside and out. An album that I’m 100% familiar with........Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun by DCD in 88.2/24. On the first song at about the minute twenty second mark a bass comes in. And yep........there was the issue as big as day.

This really brought up curiosities as to what 3.02 would do to fix stuff up? A quick switch to firmware 3.02 was the answer. It’s the only time I ever use 3.02 with the 1A, but complete success. I could take this combo on a trip for two weeks and be totally happy. To think the player can be found new around $1000 and the IEMs.....$399 is amazing. Of course the last add would be the Sony/Kimber cable. The $400 realm of the market is sparse, but I have to say, after listening to Chi/Fi balanced armatures for a year, coming back to this sound feels like home? It may not have all the pizzazz and sparkles of heated BA’s but it’s more cohesive. How the Z5 can be thought of as cohesive being it’s the on-set of early hybrid ideas...... I’m not sure?

It should be noted that 3.02 and the 1A is very much a treble tilt, and coming off brighter than any other Sony response I use. Though there is nothing unnatural or strange really? Obviously the 3.02 firmware with the 1Z and IER-Z1R combo offers more physicality and delineated imaging. The more expensive set up adds texture and as we know the IER-Z1R out-does the Z5 on all levels.....all the time. Still that shouldn’t undermine the fact that the 1A and XBA-Z5 combination with 3.02 is amazing and technically somewhat complete. There is nothing to point your finger and scowl at. But for any new-Bs it IS still the Sony sound. It’s the Sony tone but with way less low-end. With that said it’s still complete. Probably it’s the detail and soundstage which makes things so entertaining? To many too, there will seem a boatload of bass, depending where your coming from.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #5,160 of 5,804
Thanks for sharing your detailed insights. If I ever get a chance to try out the 1A, I’ll be sure to bring my Z5’s along with me.

Aesthetically, the Z5 and 1A look so beautiful together. There’s something about the classic Sony industrial design with the black and steel colouring that always appeals to me. It’s like a modern version of the cassette Walkman I had back in the early 90’s with those terrible earbuds that always fell out of my ears :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back