Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #5,131 of 5,804
For sure balanced and powerful source improves them.

In details retrival I would rate the XBA-Z5 similar to IER-M7, they struggle to get the extra oomph of the micro-detailing and finesse of the higher rangea such as the reverb or faint post ringing of harpsichord strings.

XBA-Z5 with N3 fit, that's the IER-Z1R, IMO it slaughters the Z5 in every area, from mucrodetailing and inner resolutions, to better mids and more textured deeper hitting bass and a holographic soundstage similar to TOTL openbacked Headphones
Man I'd love to hear those Z1R, but even secondhand they are way out of my budget. I hope they come out with a little brother. That's what I wanted the M9 to be but they dropped the dynamic driver, the fit was perfect for me though.

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #5,132 of 5,804
Compared to the rest of my gear I find the Z5’s fo be great at everything, but not the best at anything either. Jack of all trades but master of none.

Bass and soundstaging are it’s best feature but still loses out to Z1R. Mids, treble & imaging are all better on both M9 & Z1R, and EX1000 even tops Z5 in some of those categories. And then it has the most awkward fit and looks the worst in your ear out of the lot.

But again, for its price it’s still a great set, especially balanced.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #5,133 of 5,804
I feel that a lower spec/lower priced version of the Z1R would have been a hit.

I agree.

Although I consider the Z1R already a hit in it's own right.

When I take a step back from my relatively tunnel vision affinity for this hobby, and survey the spectrum, it's hard not to scoff at the prices. Not just the Z1R but most of the gear.

All this renewed high praise about the Z5 bass has put it back in my crosshairs.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #5,134 of 5,804
I agree.

Although I consider the Z1R already a hit in it's own right.

When I take a step back from my relatively tunnel vision affinity for this hobby, and survey the spectrum, it's hard not to scoff at the prices. Not just the Z1R but most of the gear.

All this renewed high praise about the Z5 bass has put it back in my crosshairs.
We all have a different limit on our spending, but I feel that the price of the Z1R is well above a majority of Sony fans budgets eg. N3/Z5 owners. As it is so competitive out there now I thought that they would have been better to have offered another hybrid at around the M9 pricing. I know the M9 will satisfy many people but the fact that their higher end iem is a hybrid, for those of us who love the N3/Z5 hybrid sound may look elsewhere. I tried the M7 and M9 and loved the design and comfort and thought they sounded great, but I missed the impact of the dynamic driver and had to look at other brands. Now brands like Fiio and iBasso etc have some decent offerings at very competitive prices. Looking at how long ago the N3/A3/Z5 came out and how long it was before the M7/M9/Z1R were released I won't hold my breath for anything new from Sony for a few years. Just my feelings I'm expressing here.

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #5,135 of 5,804
I’d be very surprised to see another “consumer” level wired IEM from Sony. My guess is that they’ll continue to focus on TWS for consumer/mid level and have their professional level (M7,M9) and TOTL (Z1R) wired models.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #5,137 of 5,804
Gosh, this thread inspired me to break out the XBA-Z5 today. Trying something different using the rubber L shaped cable things they give you with the Kimber aftermarket cable to make it over-ear. Not sure yet about the cable this way but the XBA-Z5 was once again eye opening!

I have taken a break from the Z5 but interestingly it sounded better than I remember?

Times like today will make me realize just how far ahead it is from the N3. Just my opinion.

But the mids were nice as well.............of course the amazing low end. I was also surprised how great the treble was. Though it’s personality always has me gravitate towards electronic music. I’ve actually never done a formal review of the XBA-Z5, but maybe I will, it’s a classic. Also I just don’t know what is around that you can buy that does so well for the $400 price you see them for sale for now?

There is just something relaxing about how integrated they sound. They may not have that bright splashy mid-treble that you can find in modern all balanced armature designs? But it’s all there. Plus the soundstage sounded even bigger than I remember it......then I realized it was the first time I heard the 3.02 firmware update for the Walkman 1Z with them. The best firmware ever for them! If anyone reading has the 1Z and XBA-Z5 and hasn’t at least tried the new firmware 3.02 update, your in for a pleasant surprise. It’s the most midcentric and soundstage widest Sony has ever designed for the 1Z.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #5,138 of 5,804
I've been rocking the Z5 for a bit recently. Got some new amps and daps. Honestly its a hell of a good iem. It gets no cred but it is fantastic. A long listening, wide, analog sounding beast.

Jan 4, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #5,139 of 5,804
The best firmware ever for them! If anyone reading has the 1Z and XBA-Z5 and hasn’t at least tried the new firmware 3.02 update, your in for a pleasant surprise. It’s the most midcentric and soundstage widest Sony has ever designed for the 1Z.

Yes, the soundstage is incredibly wide with Z5 using 1Z! I still prefer the TA because bass sounds a bit more controlled and textured, but the soundstage can’t be beaten on 1Z. I’m also using 3.02 fw.

It’s nice to hear the Z5 getting some recognition in today’s IEM landscape because it really is a fantastic performer for its price.

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #5,140 of 5,804
Sony XBA-Z5 with Sony Hybrid Large Tips
Sony NW-WM1Z DIgital Audio Player (Japanese Tourist Edition) FW 3.02
Sony/Kimber Headphone cable MUC-M12SB1

DSC_0001z xba z5.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #5,141 of 5,804
Sony XBA-Z5 with Sony Hybrid Large Tips
Sony NW-WM1Z DIgital Audio Player (Japanese Tourist Edition) FW 3.02
Sony/Kimber Headphone cable MUC-M12SB1

Beautiful photo @Redcarmoose!

I’m going to give these a spin with my dmp-z1 this week and report back. I don’t use the Z1 that often because I keep it safely in its case and only take it out when I get time for a long listening session, and have only been inclined to use Z1R & M9 for those moments. But I suspect the Z5 would match incredibly well with it too :)

Jan 5, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #5,142 of 5,804
Beautiful photo @Redcarmoose!

I’m going to give these a spin with my dmp-z1 this week and report back. I don’t use the Z1 that often because I keep it safely in its case and only take it out when I get time for a long listening session, and have only been inclined to use Z1R & M9 for those moments. But I suspect the Z5 would match incredibly well with it too :)

Enjoy! Somehow it holds up in it’s special way....I think. The 3.02 was such a fix into a great direction. Never heard the DMP-Z1. But.....3.02 really does wonders in all the areas it needed. Better midrange, bigger soundstage, incredible soundstage.......and tailored in the bass, removing 50% of the lower midrange fog. While it’s not an IER, it’s closer to that direction than ever......along with it’s own character. IMO

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #5,143 of 5,804
Enjoy! Somehow it holds up in it’s special way....I think. The 3.02 was such a fix into a great direction. Never heard the DMP-Z1. But.....3.02 really does wonders in all the areas it needed. Better midrange, bigger soundstage, incredible soundstage.......and tailored in the bass, removing 50% of the lower midrange fog. While it’s not an IER, it’s closer to that direction than ever......along with it’s own character. IMO

I sold my Z5 just before 3.02 came out..

Bad move that was in hindsight.. Now thinking of rebuying the Z5. Whatever I buy from Sony has to have a dynamic driver though. Don't think I will enjoy the M-line's bass as much and still have doubts of Z1R's price to performance ratio especially when in use with the WM1Z.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #5,144 of 5,804
I sold my Z5 just before 3.02 came out..

Bad move that was in hindsight.. Now thinking of rebuying the Z5. Whatever I buy from Sony has to have a dynamic driver though. Don't think I will enjoy the M-line's bass as much and still have doubts of Z1R's price to performance ratio especially when in use with the WM1Z.

Well, for me the IER-Z1R is the ultimate. 3.02 makes it just amazing with the 1Z. Though you are on relatively high volume on high output mode. And yes, stuff like the TA power the IER-Z1R better, still now the 1Z with 3.02 is my favorite way to listen to the IER. 3.02 does the same thing to the IER, it makes it have a bigger soundstage, tighter low end and more mids. If anything just try the IER with the 1Z. You may be surprised. The combo is top dog with my gear?

The IER-Z1R is the Z5 with more clarity and detail. It’s the evolution of the Z5 sound signature. Though some have fit or weight issues with it? The price to performance ratio is off. I mean no IEMs should be over 1K. IMO
But they can charge due to real absolute improvements, and some will pay them off.....just to have it.

If you already have an aftermarket cable though, at $399....I’m not sure there is anything as cool as the Z5 with the 1Z? Like the Fearless S6Rui at $389 is a special price point but with the 1Z the Z5 is just something special for the money IMO. I had no way of fixing it before because I don’t EQ. So many of the newer IEMs did have more mids, but with 3.02 the Z5 issues are fixed mostly. IMO

Your results may vary?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #5,145 of 5,804
Unfortunately the ZX507 Walkman is not a good match with the Z5 in my opinion. Mid bass sounds bloated, and the soundstage is quite a bit narrower than WM1Z & TA-ZH1ES. Disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back