Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #5,116 of 5,804
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/hinomotocho.145148/

Yes, I think that fit is a big deal. It probably depends how someone uses the Z5. Meaning if someone was moving around or stagnant in place? For a while the Sony Hybrid Tips worked to kind of lock them in better. You have to change to aftermarket cables, but even then the Z5 is a struggle. Maybe we will see a larger N3 that’s still an XBA with maybe two balanced armatures and a bass driver the size of the Z5.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #5,117 of 5,804
If you can deal with the fit of the Z5 it’s a serious step up from the N3 in my humble opinion. Actually to me it seems like the N3 may even have a more pronounced bass. Where the magic with the Z5 is the bass detail and character. Though when first getting the IER-Z1R it reminded me of the Z5. Though after ownership obviously the IER-Z1R is a step up in almost every direction. But the Z5 is legendary, but you do have to get rid of the original cables and get 4.4mm balanced and some power for it to open-up. The Z5 really becomes another IEM with some juice behind it. All and all I look at the Z5 as having more scale ability than the N3. Just my opinion? Though it’s hard to beat the fit of the N3.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #5,118 of 5,804
Z5 sound with N3 fit would have been ideal. Maybe at the next release.
Because of my Z5 fit dramas I have been converted to the over-ear design. The N3 are better than the Z5 for fit but because of the weight of my cable it does tend to pull them out of my ears at times. I was really hoping for an upgraded XBA series - hybrid with the M7/M9 design. Unfortunately they chose BA which to my ears lacks the beauty of the dynamic bass, which I thought was odd considering Sony's history and success of the EX series etc. I didn't listen to the Z1R, perhaps they are good but I didn't want to tease my ears as they are way over my spending limit.

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #5,119 of 5,804
If you can deal with the fit of the Z5 it’s a serious step up from the N3 in humble opinion. The N3 wins in the fit. Actually to me it seems like the N3 may even have a more pronounced bass. Where the magic with the Z5 is the bass detail and character. Though when first getting the IER-Z1R it reminded me of the Z5. Though after ownership obviously the IER-Z1R is a step up in almost every direction. But the Z5 is legendary, but you do have to get rid of the original cables and get 4.4mm balanced and some power for it to open-up. The Z5 really becomes another IEM with some juice behind it. All and all I look at the Z5 as having more scale ability than the N3. Just my opinion?
I use my N3 for movies with my tablet and for occasional listening with my phone so I haven't gone balanced with them. I was using them with my Fiio Q5s with the THX AM3D amp module and they were sounding very good, even out of the 3.5mm output.
I totally agree that the Z5 require a powerful balanced output to get them humming, the detail of the bass is outstanding. Even when I was selling my Z5 and put the stock cable on and gave them a listen unbalanced they still sounded decent.

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #5,120 of 5,804
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/hinomotocho.145148/

Yes, I think that fit is a big deal. It probably depends how someone uses the Z5. Meaning if someone was moving around or stagnant in place? For a while the Sony Hybrid Tips worked to kind of lock them in better. You have to change to aftermarket cables, but even then the Z5 is a struggle. Maybe we will see a larger N3 that’s still an XBA with maybe two balanced armatures and a bass driver the size of the Z5.
Oh please.
I made a comment before, based on how much love there is for the EX series (especially the EX800 and EX1000) and the XBA series (N3 and Z5) I am really surprised Sony went off and did full BA with the M7 and M9. The Z1R is priced way above the original Z5 and EX1000 pricing, I feel that a lower spec/lower priced version of the Z1R would have been a hit.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #5,121 of 5,804
Because of my Z5 fit dramas I have been converted to the over-ear design. The N3 are better than the Z5 for fit but because of the weight of my cable it does tend to pull them out of my ears at times. I was really hoping for an upgraded XBA series - hybrid with the M7/M9 design. Unfortunately they chose BA which to my ears lacks the beauty of the dynamic bass, which I thought was odd considering Sony's history and success of the EX series etc. I didn't listen to the Z1R, perhaps they are good but I didn't want to tease my ears as they are way over my spending limit.
I also prefer the over-ear design but once I've used the included cable clip, I didn't have any issue regarding the fit.
That was a must especially when I changed the stock cable, the balanced one being heavier.

Jan 3, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #5,122 of 5,804
If you can deal with the fit of the Z5 it’s a serious step up from the N3 in my humble opinion. Actually to me it seems like the N3 may even have a more pronounced bass. Where the magic with the Z5 is the bass detail and character. Though when first getting the IER-Z1R it reminded me of the Z5. Though after ownership obviously the IER-Z1R is a step up in almost every direction. But the Z5 is legendary, but you do have to get rid of the original cables and get 4.4mm balanced and some power for it to open-up. The Z5 really becomes another IEM with some juice behind it. All and all I look at the Z5 as having more scale ability than the N3. Just my opinion? Though it’s hard to beat the fit of the N3.
Yes, the N3 bass is more pronounced but is hitting too hard sometimes and does not have the same quality compared with the Z5.

Jan 3, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #5,123 of 5,804

100% agree that Z5 improves with power. Balanced with the TA-ZH1ES amp is an excellent match. Yes they aren’t as good as Z1R, but for a quarter of the price they are a great budget alternative. They do look absolutely ridiculous when wearing them though. Definitely not suitable to wear in public lol...

Jan 3, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #5,124 of 5,804
100% agree that Z5 improves with power. Balanced with the TA-ZH1ES amp is an excellent match. Yes they aren’t as good as Z1R, but for a quarter of the price they are a great budget alternative. They do look absolutely ridiculous when wearing them though. Definitely not suitable to wear in public lol...

I couldn’t believe how great they sounded balanced with the TA, the first time.

Like a USB stick in your ear though.

FCD07D30-3406-43E4-8969-234E69C34C70.jpeg

Attachments

• A8700D42-53D6-402D-B06B-CDA6AA0FFB49.jpeg
    A8700D42-53D6-402D-B06B-CDA6AA0FFB49.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #5,125 of 5,804
Yes, the N3 bass is more pronounced but is hitting too hard sometimes and does not have the same quality compared with the Z5.
The bass quality is amazing. One of a kind.

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #5,126 of 5,804
I recently bought the N3 (second hand) because I missed the Sony hybrid sound. I used to own the Z5 and would have happily retired with them if it weren't for the struggle I had with the fit.
The N3 are excellent, and although I never A-Bed them and wouldn't be able to tell you exact details from memory the Z5 are really special and scale very well with good sources. I really miss the sound, but I don't miss the fit issues. The N3 give me a satisfactory amount of pleasure, but the Z5 took me to the moon

Switched myself from Z5 to N3 for use with my WM1Z. Besides comfort I found the N3 to have better midrange ie:vocals were a bit distant with Z5.

Do use Spiral Dots or other wider bore tips, it benefits the N3 a lot: more detailed bass slightly less in quantity than Z5. Detail level, soundstage and bass speed(smaller dynamic driver with N3) then also is better or on par compared with z5 imho.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #5,127 of 5,804
I couldn’t believe how great they sounded balanced with the TA, the first time.

Like a USB stick in your ear though.

I think it was one of gerelmx1986's co-workers who said they looked like Frankenstein bolts. Apart from the awkward design/fit they look pretty lame. At that time Westone, Shure and Sennheiser all had nice designs that sat in the curve of your ear - I'm sure they could have found a better design/angle to accommodate the 16mm driver.

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #5,128 of 5,804
Switched myself from Z5 to N3 for use with my WM1Z. Besides comfort I found the N3 to have better midrange ie:vocals were a bit distant with Z5.

Do use Spiral Dots or other wider bore tips, it benefits the N3 a lot: more detailed bass slightly less in quantity than Z5. Detail level, soundstage and bass speed(smaller dynamic driver with N3) then also is better or on par compared with z5 imho.
I had always used Spiral Dots with my Z5 and read, maybe one of your comments about using them with the N3. There are some things where the N3 has an edge over the Z5 like with vocals, but I think it was the Z5's bass presentation and detail that made me smile and was perfect for my listening pleasure. Like I said I just had to let them go and get myself a comfortable, solid fitting, isolating replacement. I keep a second pair (3.5mm) for movies and music from my phone as I don't like carrying my main iems around with me as they aren't as solid as the Sonys. My secondhand N3 were a great way to enjoy that hybrid sound Sony did very well. I'd love to try them balanced but I don't want to cable swap all the time.

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #5,129 of 5,804
I had always used Spiral Dots with my Z5 and read, maybe one of your comments about using them with the N3. There are some things where the N3 has an edge over the Z5 like with vocals, but I think it was the Z5's bass presentation and detail that made me smile and was perfect for my listening pleasure. Like I said I just had to let them go and get myself a comfortable, solid fitting, isolating replacement. I keep a second pair (3.5mm) for movies and music from my phone as I don't like carrying my main iems around with me as they aren't as solid as the Sonys. My secondhand N3 were a great way to enjoy that hybrid sound Sony did very well. I'd love to try them balanced but I don't want to cable swap all the time.
For sure balanced and powerful source improves them.

In details retrival I would rate the XBA-Z5 similar to IER-M7, they struggle to get the extra oomph of the micro-detailing and finesse of the higher rangea such as the reverb or faint post ringing of harpsichord strings.

XBA-Z5 with N3 fit, that's the IER-Z1R, IMO it slaughters the Z5 in every area, from mucrodetailing and inner resolutions, to better mids and more textured deeper hitting bass and a holographic soundstage similar to TOTL openbacked Headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back