Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Sep 30, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #5,011 of 5,804
Well my M11 finally came so chance to finally get the Z5's in balanced. Started off testing the player with the standard cable and obviously a nice upgrade from my previous Sony player which I never liked at all - too dark and just uninspiring.

Then went balanced, good god where have you been the last few years! I've read all the praise for the Z5's in balanced, but these things really come alive. They feel as if they've finally been unleashed. The difference is night and day. Increased presence and soundstage plus the opening, deepening and refinement of the bass.

I look forward to your experimenting Josh, going to take something rather special to knock the Z5's off their perch!
which sony DAP did you used to own?

Sep 30, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #5,012 of 5,804
which sony DAP did you used to own?

The ZX1. I bought the combo in Japan; at the time the ZX2 was just released, but it was bleeding expensive. And having already fallen in love and busted the budget with Z5's, I couldn't stretch to the ZX2s, so settled for the older model.

Sadly the combo felt a bit too dark overall and the player lacked oomph. Also the ZX2 is also not truly balanced, so wouldn't have gotten full value out of the Z5s.

I regretted the decision, but headphone use at the time was more casual as my apartment at the time had amazing sound proofing so my hifi could be cranked! Circumstances have changed however and DAPs have come a long way since then!

Sep 30, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #5,013 of 5,804
Yeah, the Z5 is pretty unique. I'm finding that more and more. It's also underrated. Even BGGAR let his go, but kept ex800. Z5 is far better than ex800 imo. I should ge th. Bravado Wednesday. We will see. Honestly, I'd be totally happy with Z5 if they didn't have the loose mmcx issue on the left side.

Sep 30, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #5,014 of 5,804
Yeah, the Z5 is pretty unique. I'm finding that more and more. It's also underrated. Even BGGAR let his go, but kept ex800. Z5 is far better than ex800 imo. I should ge th. Bravado Wednesday. We will see. Honestly, I'd be totally happy with Z5 if they didn't have the loose mmcx issue on the left side.
mine had same problem but.on right side. The reason I got the IER-Z1R

Sep 30, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #5,015 of 5,804
I think they sound pretty darn similar. If z1r was cheaper, i would get it. It's a beautiful headphone.

Oct 1, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #5,016 of 5,804
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy Sony's nw-wm1a DAP, so was thinking which IEM's will pair well with it, I now have XBA-Z5, which I use w/ a stock non-balanced cable, on a Hifiman HM-901, it's good, but not great, so I was thinking of getting new IER-m9 for a new DAP, but maybe I should be better of getting a nice balanced cable with 4.4mm plug that will open up full potential of those earphones?
So is there a big enough step up in pure sound quality between XBA-Z5 running with a good cable in balanced vs IER-M9?
As for the balanced cable, I'm interested in Nabunaga Labs Himezuru, which has MMCX KIT (NLP-MMCX-DIY) connector on the earphones side, will it fit XBA-Z5? Do Z5 has a standard MMCX connector type? What about M9? I've read somewhere that M9's MMCX connector is slightly recessed, so I won't be able to connect any custom MMCX cables, can somebody confirm if that's true?
Sorry for so many questions, in my city there're no hi-fi shops where I can try it for myself, so have to buy equipment blindly and therefore doing some research is a must for me...

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #5,017 of 5,804
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy Sony's nw-wm1a DAP, so was thinking which IEM's will pair well with it, I now have XBA-Z5, which I use w/ a stock non-balanced cable, on a Hifiman HM-901, it's good, but not great, so I was thinking of getting new IER-m9 for a new DAP, but maybe I should be better of getting a nice balanced cable with 4.4mm plug that will open up full potential of those earphones?
So is there a big enough step up in pure sound quality between XBA-Z5 running with a good cable in balanced vs IER-M9?
As for the balanced cable, I'm interested in Nabunaga Labs Himezuru, which has MMCX KIT (NLP-MMCX-DIY) connector on the earphones side, will it fit XBA-Z5? Do Z5 has a standard MMCX connector type? What about M9? I've read somewhere that M9's MMCX connector is slightly recessed, so I won't be able to connect any custom MMCX cables, can somebody confirm if that's true?
Sorry for so many questions, in my city there're no hi-fi shops where I can try it for myself, so have to buy equipment blindly and therefore doing some research is a must for me...
a nice sony 4 4 cable terminated in mmcx
http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-muc-m12nb1-balanced-standard-1-2m-headphone-cable-black.html

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #5,018 of 5,804
Thanks!
So I need a special Sony's made cable to fit my XBA, not just some custom made with regular MMCX connector type? What about IER series, will this one fit?
Also what about this MUC-M12SB1 one https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUC-M12SB1-SONY-Headphone-cable/dp/B01M3TK66F ? Is it's just aesthetically better, or is there some noticeable sound quality difference as well?
And could you please tell me if there's a noticeable step up in SQ between IER series and XBA-Z5 (I notice that you have some of that IER series, that's why I'm asking).

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #5,019 of 5,804
No. I posted a link earlier. There's a black 4.4 cable that works great with Z5. Here s my setup. Final E tips, cable, M11. It's fantastic. Fi AL E just arrived today. If you've ever thought "Z5 needs more bass" go with final E. 20191001_183910.jpg

Oct 2, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #5,022 of 5,804
Thanks!
So I need a special Sony's made cable to fit my XBA, not just some custom made with regular MMCX connector type? What about IER series, will this one fit?
Also what about this MUC-M12SB1 one https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUC-M12SB1-SONY-Headphone-cable/dp/B01M3TK66F ? Is it's just aesthetically better, or is there some noticeable sound quality difference as well?
And could you please tell me if there's a noticeable step up in SQ between IER series and XBA-Z5 (I notice that you have some of that IER series, that's why I'm asking).

No. I posted a link earlier. There's a black 4.4 cable that works great with Z5. Here s my setup. Final E tips, cable, M11. It's fantastic. Fi AL E just arrived today. If you've ever thought "Z5 needs more bass" go with final E.

Just to add, I bought the cable Josh recommended and it works well. No issues at all.

You gotta be some crazy ass person to need more bass :dt880smile:

Oct 2, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #5,023 of 5,804
It's amazing.

The Symbio peeled sound good too. A little more treble sparkle with those. I'm an audiophile bass head though. I want clarity, but want to feel the bass. Final E does that. Listening last night blew me away. I really like these tips. Three pairs on amazon for $15.

Oct 2, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #5,024 of 5,804

Users who are viewing this thread

Back