Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Sep 27, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #4,996 of 5,804
Nice. You got the black cable and the m11? Fantastic combo. If I can make some recs on tips: Symbio peeled, RHA double flange, and comply comfort series.

Jup thats the combo. I'm ok with the stock tips tbh and have been for a while. But once I'm all set up and itching for changes, tips will be next :wink:

Sep 27, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #4,997 of 5,804
That’s just the thing. There still is nothing else like the XBA-Z5, it’s still unique. One thing you start to realize is the bass. The Z5 has more bass than the IER-Z1R. Technically yes, the IER-Z1R is a logical progression but still? If someone was so inclined for the forgiving slightly slow and laid back Z5 personality it’s almost worth it to try and get in front of the Z5 for improvements. Even though the Z5 bass is big, the bass is still detailed and very localized for what it is.

Meaning that if people were still OK with the overall Z5 sound; it can scale up and up. It loves power, it loves balanced and it continues to climb with a better source.

It’s actually amazing how far the Z5 can go? I wanted more midrange, so I was happy with the angle the IER-Z1R departed the Sony house sound from. Some folks find solitude in getting the better N3 fit. But I still love the XBA-Z5 sound running balanced with the Kimber 4.4mm cable. There is truth in finding thinner signals can clean the bass and speed things up a little and still bring the Z5 into an amazing position even today!

It still owns the $400 place in the market for the style of sound it offers. Obviously there are also multi BA Chi-Fi like the Fearless S6Rui that are going to bring a more fleshed out mid area forward at $389. But for those seeking well done DD bass......the XBA-Z5 still brings a lot to the table.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #4,998 of 5,804
Jup thats the combo. I'm ok with the stock tips tbh and have been for a while. But once I'm all set up and itching for changes, tips will be next :wink:

I'm telling you, changing the tips opens the sound. I didn't even like them with stock tips. Even spiral dot or spin fit improve sound, but the three I mentioned are the best from my trial and error. Bought $150 worth of tips so been through it.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #4,999 of 5,804
Anyone tried Empire Ears Bravado? Curious to compare.

Sep 28, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #5,000 of 5,804
I do agree the XBA Z5 can be a lot of things to people. I am experimenting with different tips and sources and you can hear the changes easily.

I kinda fried my ears with the z5 a while ago. Ran over 110db for an afternoon and while it was fun, my ears got punished. In a good way hopefully.

[edit] GET THE Moondrop S8. I have a feeling and its a good one. Sonion BAs for bass.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #5,001 of 5,804
How can you punish your ears in a good way?

I just don't know about a full BA man. Bravado is the same price and it's a hybrid that's supposed to be bassy with a good stage.

Sep 28, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #5,003 of 5,804
I just don't know about a full BA man. Bravado is the same price and it's a hybrid that's supposed to be bassy with a good stage.

How much more bass do you want relative to the Z5 though? I do think you should have a listen before blind buying. Haven't tried the EEs but it looks like there's a huge jump in the lower frequencies (red is Z5):

OmkJknp.png

IER-M9 vs Z5 (red):
TzaZlXP.png

Sep 29, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #5,004 of 5,804
How much more bass do you want relative to the Z5 though? I do think you should have a listen before blind buying. Haven't tried the EEs but it looks like there's a huge jump in the lower frequencies (red is Z5):

OmkJknp.png

IER-M9 vs Z5 (red):
TzaZlXP.png

That’s amazing, can’t even imagine so much bass?

Sep 29, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #5,005 of 5,804

OmkJknp.png

IER-M9 vs Z5 (red):
TzaZlXP.png
So top is the bravado? That looks amazing! I'm getting it.

Sep 29, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #5,007 of 5,804
Ordered open box bravado from audio 46. Should get them Wednesday. If I don't like them, I'll try A8 and M7. If I don't like those, I'll see about Andromeda

Sep 30, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #5,009 of 5,804
Well my M11 finally came so chance to finally get the Z5's in balanced. Started off testing the player with the standard cable and obviously a nice upgrade from my previous Sony player which I never liked at all - too dark and just uninspiring.

Then went balanced, good god where have you been the last few years! I've read all the praise for the Z5's in balanced, but these things really come alive. They feel as if they've finally been unleashed. The difference is night and day. Increased presence and soundstage plus the opening, deepening and refinement of the bass.

I look forward to your experimenting Josh, going to take something rather special to knock the Z5's off their perch!

Sep 30, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #5,010 of 5,804
Well my M11 finally came so chance to finally get the Z5's in balanced. Started off testing the player with the standard cable and obviously a nice upgrade from my previous Sony player which I never liked at all - too dark and just uninspiring.

Then went balanced, good god where have you been the last few years! I've read all the praise for the Z5's in balanced, but these things really come alive. They feel as if they've finally been unleashed. The difference is night and day. Increased presence and soundstage plus the opening, deepening and refinement of the bass.

I look forward to your experimenting Josh, going to take something rather special to knock the Z5's off their perch!

My favorite style of posts here at Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back