Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Oct 10, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #5,041 of 5,804
Thought I'd add some info for Z5 fans.

My impressions of these great IEMs are on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...ty_and_the_beast_focal_utopia_and_sony_xbaz5/
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...ew_to_a_kill_sony_xbaz5_and_campfire_solaris/

I've now had the luxury of owning a number of Sony IEMs incl. XBA-A3, EX600, EX800ST, 7550, XBA-Z5 and just recently picked up an older XBA-H3.

XBA-Z5 is very much refined. It has a big sound, controlled bass, detailed but never fatiguing treble and accurate mid-range. It is definitely better than the XBA-H3 from a tuning perspective.

However, if you want a giant bass monster, with very clean and sparkly treble, the H3 is it. The bass bleeds into the mid-range. But these issues aside, like its successor the A3, the lineage of the family is there. If you aren't looking for perfection, and just want a fun IEM to compliment your main gear, the H3 is awesome. In some ways, I like the treble a bit more than the Z5. This is still a very spacious sound, even a bit more than the Z5 - though the Z5 feels 'deeper'. The H3 are less accurate, but have a lot of character. The A3 is also excellent, and a bit more refined. The A3 is bombastic but also has that treble sparkle that the Z5 doesn't have.

But back to the Z5, if you just want one IEM, that is a perfect all-rounder, and you love electronic, orchestral and gaming - the Z5 is it. Also, as it is not as bright as the H3 and A3, you can turn it up a bit more. Really can replace full-size sets.

Balanced continues to be a revelation. The tuning and soundstage impress. I agree and understand your comment on the spacious sound - FLAC I fine helps massively with this. On the Fiio M11, Spotify feels much flatter. It's actually very easy to hear the difference between FLAC and compressed with the M11/Z5 combo.

I agree with your comment on brightness (and lack of treble spark) - however this is what makes the Z5s extremely listenable for longer periods, and more agreeable to my ears. Hip-hop is a bit lacking (I find something missing), but electronic and jazz, my two main genres are absolutely epic. Going to have to get around and buy some more music over the coming few weeks!

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #5,042 of 5,804
Z5 treble is good for me. Smooth but present and responds well to EQ. Bravado is a bit crasher in comparison. It's more analytical, but I ultimately find the Z5 more enjoyable.

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #5,043 of 5,804
I meant between ex800 and Z5, rrther than above them both. I like it as a good back up, but could not justify the expense at the time and returned them.

Got N3, sounded great and Z5 is basically better. Sent back. *sigh*

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #5,044 of 5,804
Told ya. I am even sending back my Bravado. $600 iem. Z5 sounds better imo.

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #5,046 of 5,804
For the z5? Yeah, I got used here for $280, and thjen bought a bunch of cables, tips, etc. It's a steal at anything under $600-700 it seems. It competes well with everything i have thrown at it.

Oct 12, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #5,047 of 5,804
I'll just leave this here:
graph (15).png

Attachments

• graph (15).png
    graph (15).png
    150.5 KB · Views: 0
Oct 12, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #5,048 of 5,804
But that says nothing about actual tonality, imaging, and so on. Graphs aren't very helpful imo. For me, they say how an iem that I will EQ anyway sounds without EQ. Giving the Bravado another listen now. It is a bit more analytical, it's ported so isolation isn't good, and that sub bass is huge. Hmm...

Oct 12, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #5,050 of 5,804
I agree with your comment on brightness (and lack of treble spark) - however this is what makes the Z5s extremely listenable for longer periods, and more agreeable to my ears. Hip-hop is a bit lacking (I find something missing), but electronic and jazz, my two main genres are absolutely epic. Going to have to get around and buy some more music over the coming few weeks!

On more listening their is no doubt, that the Z5 is the better tuned and balanced between the H3 and Z5. The H3, once I adjust to it, is great, but it is peaky in the treble. This can work, especially at lower volumes with its heavy bass. The Z5, you can just turn it up and sink into. The Z5 bass is also more refined. Still, for what I got the H3 for (1/6th the cost of the Z5), it is incredible.

Gotta listen for yourself! I find the A8 has better sound stage, separation and detail/resolution.

That is pretty high praise, also looks like the Moondrop are a bit pricier. The slight lift in the upper range may help the A8 with presence as well. Sounds like a quality IEM.

Myself, I'm done. I'm even considering selling the Z5 and keeping the H3. Only because I don't need perfect sound for my IEMs - I have the Focal for that. I need portable fun at decent quality. I mostly listen to electronic music with IEMs and the dynamic range and quality of even the best recordings is not near the best recordings in classical and jazz ( it isn't saying the engineering of some electronic musicians isn't of the same quality, its just that they are artistically trying to achieve different things).

Oct 16, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #5,051 of 5,804
If anyone is interested, I have the silver BGVP right angle cable, and the copper 2.5 BGVP cable that I have used for these. I love the BGVP cables, but I prefer 4.4, so I don't use these. Make me an offer, but thinking $35 shipped within US for both cables. That's half what they go for.

https://penonaudio.com/bgvp-8-core-mmcx-upgrade-cable.html?search=bgvp

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #5,053 of 5,804
Hey guys, if anyone had experience with the new Sony's IER-Z1R/M9, do you think it's worth upgrading to it from Z5's? Price difference is huge, but what about SQ? I plan to use them with wm1z.
i had xba-z5 and to.me IER-Z1R have a cleaner sgnatire. Besser textured bass, better bass control and cleaner mids and highs, thus more detail retrieval
Soundstage is huge

Oct 23, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #5,055 of 5,804
Hi,
Will running the xba z5 on a bluetooth headphone amp (fiio btr1k in my case) do them justice?
And what about directly from a (relatively high quality) smartphone output?

They will sound excellent. I know a number of people would like to make them out be particularly difficult to drive - including Sony (as they included balanced cables with them). The sound does change with some amps, but I can say from experience, a powerful smartphone amp will be more than good enough to enjoy these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back