Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Aug 11, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #4,726 of 5,804
I was thinking of picking up something now. I owned the OG z7 for a month and hated it. I'd need to read multiple reviews of the new version before buying it. I really really hated the original.

Seems a lot of people thought the same about the original. the did say in the conference that they listen to a lot of the criticism and made improvements. Might be worth waiting for some reviews.

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #4,727 of 5,804
I'm looking for another set of headphones, but I'd like it to be as close to the z5 as possible. Maybe I'll have to comb through all 315 pages to find some answers. Someone has had to make a comparison in this thread.

Hmm unfortunately you've picked something that's a bit difficult to do, the Z5 do sound pretty unique. Downside is not many other headphones would sound quite like it.
The closest headphone I've tried to the Z5 would be the Sennheiser HD650 (demoed multiple times) and the Shure SRH1540 (own this headphone). With the 1540, there's perceptually a bit more mid-bass, and there's also a ringing at the upper mids, but otherwise it sounds rather similar to the Z5. The SRH1540 also can sound a little congested, while the Z5, for an IEM, doesn't really have that same problem. The HD650 sounds better than the SRH1540 in my opinion.
Like @Wiz33
suggested, the new Sony Z7 might do the trick, though like you I didn't like the original Z7 at all.
Have not tried the MrSpeakers headphones but I think there's hope there. I would've assumed the open backs would sound more similar to the Z5 though, since they tend to be warmer.
And if you're considering planar, perhaps the HE560 or even the HE500 might work as well?

Aug 12, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #4,728 of 5,804
Hmm unfortunately you've picked something that's a bit difficult to do, the Z5 do sound pretty unique. Downside is not many other headphones would sound quite like it.
The closest headphone I've tried to the Z5 would be the Sennheiser HD650 (demoed multiple times) and the Shure SRH1540 (own this headphone). With the 1540, there's perceptually a bit more mid-bass, and there's also a ringing at the upper mids, but otherwise it sounds rather similar to the Z5. The SRH1540 also can sound a little congested, while the Z5, for an IEM, doesn't really have that same problem. The HD650 sounds better than the SRH1540 in my opinion.
Like @Wiz33
suggested, the new Sony Z7 might do the trick, though like you I didn't like the original Z7 at all.
Have not tried the MrSpeakers headphones but I think there's hope there. I would've assumed the open backs would sound more similar to the Z5 though, since they tend to be warmer.
And if you're considering planar, perhaps the HE560 or even the HE500 might work as well?

I've owned the HD 650 twice. I hate that headphone with a passion. The 2nd time I thought a better amp and dac and cable would make it sound as good as some make it out to be. It's ok for entry level, but never again. I've read bad things about hifiman quality which is the reason why I've never owned one. I may check some of their threads.

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #4,729 of 5,804
I've owned the HD 650 twice. I hate that headphone with a passion. The 2nd time I thought a better amp and dac and cable would make it sound as good as some make it out to be. It's ok for entry level, but never again. I've read bad things about hifiman quality which is the reason why I've never owned one. I may check some of their threads.

I'm glad you know what you like and dislike at least. Personally, I do see your point if you're trying to say the HD650 are a little over-hyped, they sound good enough for my tastes but I definitely can see higher-end gear being more satisfying because the HD650 has a few glaring shortcomings. If you own headphones like the Z1R, Focal Clear, etc, I can see how the HD650 might be a bit disappointing.
I agree with you about the Hifiman having issues with build. If this is something you can't live with, unfortunately it might not be a good time to invest in a Hifiman. I feel like they're still overcoming that hurdle; I've owned a HE400i and my first pair rusted after a couple of months on the grill and headband...
That's all I can help you with I guess, the Z5 is going to be a bit difficult to match in the full-size department. Perhaps Audeze might have something for you too, though I won't be surprised if you've owned one before. Now that I think about it, the LCD2.2 did share many characteristics with the Z5, with a lush mid-range and tamed highs, though the planar bass is definitely more linear than the humped low-end on the Z5. Perhaps the LCD2C is worth looking into, and if you don't enjoy it, Audeze gear has fantastic resale value.
All the best on finding what you're looking for! Do update this thread if you've found a headphone that can match the Z5, I'm sure many like myself would be interested.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #4,730 of 5,804
I have not tried the FLC8s, but I can tell you the Z5 does not have a flat frequency response curve. The Z5 has a very noticeable mid-bass / upper-bass bump, the mids dip a little in the upper range, and the highs extend extremely well but roll down in emphasis a little. The Z5 are warm, bassy, mellow IEMs, wouldn't really call them flat.
I've honestly not tried that many IEMs at this price point. From Sony, the XBA-N3 is definitely the closest to neutral in the entire hybrid XBA line-up thus far, and that's the best I can do for you; most IEMs I've tried at the US$300 to US$600 price-point are either on the brighter side (e.g. ER4SR, SE535, AKG N3) or are warmer (e.g. Z5, ATH-E70, ER4XR). Hard to find a neutral, flat pair.
Maybe save up and go big to something like the Andromeda if you can wait? Or wait for impressions about the new Sony IEMs to come out.
JH Audio, Unique Melody, and Final Audio might have something to your liking as well, though it still might be above your target price point.
Hope that helped, and didn't just confuse you more.

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pr...1=344&idhp2=537&idhp3=382&idhp4=384&idhp5=387
how accurate do you feel this response curse is?
its not the flattest ever, but it feels mostly flat, better than most

http://i.imgur.com/S8pvOJ2.png flc 8s
http://i.imgur.com/sMkYEUd.png z5

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #4,731 of 5,804
It is said often enough to be a cliche, but the Z5 sound like a full sized headphone. I just got the MDR-Z7 and initial comparing of the two proves the Z5 to be impressive.

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #4,732 of 5,804
It is said often enough to be a cliche, but the Z5 sound like a full sized headphone. I just got the MDR-Z7 and initial comparing of the two proves the Z5 to be impressive.
Agree with you on this, perhaps Z5 stage is a bit smaller than that of the Z7 stage. Wait until you hear the IER-Z1R :D

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #4,733 of 5,804
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pr...1=344&idhp2=537&idhp3=382&idhp4=384&idhp5=387
how accurate do you feel this response curse is?
its not the flattest ever, but it feels mostly flat, better than most

http://i.imgur.com/S8pvOJ2.png flc 8s
http://i.imgur.com/sMkYEUd.png z5

Unfortunately, I am vision impaired, so I can't see the graphs to tell you what's visually displayed.
I won't say the Z5 is dramatically uneven, it's definitely not lumpy in the bass like the MDR-1A or thin in the mid-range like the Z7/Z1R. Its humps/dips are more gentle, but perceptually, based on my hearing, they do not sound flat in the way I'd hope in a monitor, let's say. I'd say things like the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore are more neutral than the Z5, though the frequency response may be a bit more squiggly, just for a reference.
Sorry again that I can't help you with the graphs, but hopefully my explanations can be of some use.

TLDR: Z5 may have a gentle FR, but won't say they're neutral or flat still.

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #4,734 of 5,804
Unfortunately, I am vision impaired, so I can't see the graphs to tell you what's visually displayed.
I won't say the Z5 is dramatically uneven, it's definitely not lumpy in the bass like the MDR-1A or thin in the mid-range like the Z7/Z1R. Its humps/dips are more gentle, but perceptually, based on my hearing, they do not sound flat in the way I'd hope in a monitor, let's say. I'd say things like the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore are more neutral than the Z5, though the frequency response may be a bit more squiggly, just for a reference.
Sorry again that I can't help you with the graphs, but hopefully my explanations can be of some use.

TLDR: Z5 may have a gentle FR, but won't say they're neutral or flat still.

If the other guy is looking for a flat sound, then the z5 really isn't for him. I would say that the Andromeda is also something that is not what he's looking for either. Something along the lines of the Noble Audio K10 is very neutral. I owned them and disliked them and took a nasty loss on them when I sold them to someone who had to get them reshelled.

Aug 21, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #4,735 of 5,804
If the other guy is looking for a flat sound, then the z5 really isn't for him. I would say that the Andromeda is also something that is not what he's looking for either. Something along the lines of the Noble Audio K10 is very neutral. I owned them and disliked them and took a nasty loss on them when I sold them to someone who had to get them reshelled.

yup.. im looking for the flattest in the sub 600usd range.
so far, the best ive come across with my needs (hi-res cert + flat response + exdended sub-bass range) has been the z5 :/

how would one compare these to jvc ha-hw01 and ha-fd01?

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #4,736 of 5,804
Z5 with balanced Sony Kimber cable and 1Z is a fantastic combo. Loving it on my summer holliday, could no be bothered with the size of the Z1R

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #4,738 of 5,804
Sep 5, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #4,739 of 5,804
I looking at balanced dac options, I'd prefer 4.4mm output. Some options out there are the Sony PHA-2A, Fiio Q5 w/AM3B or the iFi xDSD (no 4.4).
Has anyone got any experience with any of them?

Sep 5, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #4,740 of 5,804
I looking at balanced dac options, I'd prefer 4.4mm output. Some options out there are the Sony PHA-2A, Fiio Q5 w/AM3B or the iFi xDSD (no 4.4).
Has anyone got any experience with any of them?

Have the 2A and a ZX300. Both work great with my Z5 and Kimber combo. Honestly, if the ZX300 was available at the same time. It would have done the job as for just a $100 more, you get a great DAP with 4.4 balance out which can be used as a DAC when connected to a PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back