Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Aug 12, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #4,231 of 5,804
Don't kill a nice balanced cable. Just buy or build an adapter to plug into the end of the balanced cable. I do this all the time with my HD600, VE Monk (diy mod) and Grado SR60 (diy mod). Some day I will own the Sony Z5.

He'll have to kill it eventually since Sony is doing away with the 2 jack system and no one else uses it. I modded mine with a 4.4 Pentacon Balanced for use with a PHA-2A, even if he mod it to a SE now, it'll be easy to swap that out for a 3.5 TRRS or 4.4 later.

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #4,232 of 5,804
yes more power baby, yeah baby,
Then give me the cable to use a baby
bm.gif
, then I'll send you it back.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #4,233 of 5,804
Don't kill a nice balanced cable. Just buy or build an adapter to plug into the end of the balanced cable. I do this all the time with my HD600, VE Monk (diy mod) and Grado SR60 (diy mod). Some day I will own the Sony Z5.

Hi , yeah but the cable is too long anyways and the dual 3.5mm standard is now dead.

Does anyone have a link to buying a decent quality 3.5mm jack? The viablue ones are going to run 20 euros with postage from Germany :frowning2:

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #4,237 of 5,804
Hi, I subscribe to this forum becouse you're comments are interesting. I have two pair of Z5 and I love them, I have used one of them with my WM1A trough balanced MUC-M12SB1 and the other with MUC-M2BT1 (few hours). Now I have bought the Z1R and I'm going to keep all of them becouse I love all of them (both Z1R and Z5, one pair).

For me, the Z1R is more comfortable for hours of listening and that's why I have bought for work. The detailed of Z5 are superb, now after hearing Z1R even too much but in any case they're sound I want to keep.

If someone are interested in the Bluetooth MUC-M2BT1 I have one to sold in Spain becouse to speak or listening music at street I used AirPods. I also have the upgrade cable MUC-M12SM1 to sold. Both are mint.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #4,238 of 5,804
Just sharing my recent quick listens to a couple of IEMs and headphones at the HK audio show a week ago. Current rig is a WM1Z, with a 4.4mm Brise UPG001 cable to the Z5. So seeing all the IEMs in the show that were available to try, I thought I would see how they sounded. I tried the Final Fi-ba-sst (I could not get a good seal), Dita Dream and Truth with their interchangeable 4.4mm plug, Audeze LCD-i4, iSine 20. Except for the Ditas with their interchangeable plugs which I used the 4.4mm, all the rest were using 3.5 TRS plug. Also a listen to the Noble Kaiser Encore (I have the K10). Also Headphones: Fostex TH900, Audeze LCD-3 and LCD-4, Stax SR009, and one of the L model Stax with rectangular headpiece (don't remember which one as I did not take a picture of it).

Caveats: The listening session was very short, and in a noisy environment. Music source I could control, as I used my WM1Z. No A/B'ing possible, not volume matched, as there were too many people in line to try them. So just a quick subjective listen/impression. I had a thought that I would see if any of them overwhelmed me, so I would look into it in more detail. And I was really curious how they would sound, compared to the Z5s.

The one that I liked, and that I would explore further, was the Dita Truth.

Now, I hasten to add that this is not a proper audition, and I do not believe I had time to hear what the various IEM/earphones are capable of, but taking advantage of these all sitting there and available for a quick listen, one after the other, in a short space of time, it was interesting to get a quick subjective impression. And I was happy that I was not overwhelmed by any particular one, to the point where I was infected with the urge to get it, so I'll just take that as fortunate for me. I am not going to give any evaluation, as there was not enough time to form anything other than a quick and biased impression, so apologies if this is a story with no conclusion.

What I can say is that in this quick try out, with the mismatches in cable, TRS versus 4.4mm Balanced, etc., the Z5 holds up quite well in the areas of stage and prat, which pulls you into the music. And you forget to dissect and analyze the music. Which I suspect many of the IEMs/Earphones I tried would also be able to do, in a better controlled trial. For a fair comparison, would need to use better/different cables, through the 4.4mm balanced out, etc. Ideally, with the same 4.4mm plug and cable into each IEM/Earphone, even though this would not account for different synergy from different set ups. But I will probably never be able to get these ideal conditions, so am happy just to get a brief, imperfect listen.

Aug 28, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #4,239 of 5,804
Yes, the beauty of the upgrade cable is that it can be easily re-terminated into balanced connection. If you can find the original version it will be the best. The original version (MUC-M12SM1) has the Sony MMCX connector with a stopper inbuilt to prevent the cable to turn, thus providing an extra protection from premature wear and tear to the XBA-Z5. The new version uses the same cables, but no longer has the stopper. Probably so that Sony can sell more cables to non Sony IEM users with common MMCX connection.

Have not tried 4.4mm balanced jack and will need other users to provide feedback.

Saw this though. Looks quite good:
NLP_4.4mm_TRRRS_-_01_large.jpg

Does this mean I'll have to buy 3.5mm to 2.5/4.4mm adapter to convert my muc-m12sm2 to balanced?

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #4,240 of 5,804
Does this mean I'll have to buy 3.5mm to 2.5/4.4mm adapter to convert my muc-m12sm2 to balanced?

No. If you want to convert your cable to balanced, you will need to reterminate the 3.5mm jack into a balanced jack (could be 2.5mm TRRS or 4.4mm Sony balanced connector).

If you wish to use the same cable later on with a normal stereo connection, you will then need to buy an adapter to convert it.

Hope this helps.

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #4,241 of 5,804
No. If you want to convert your cable to balanced, you will need to reterminate the 3.5mm jack into a balanced jack (could be 2.5mm TRRS or 4.4mm Sony balanced connector).

If you wish to use the same cable later on with a normal stereo connection, you will then need to buy an adapter to convert it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. But I need a professional cabler to re-terminate the standard 3.5mm jack to balanced, right?

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #4,242 of 5,804
Thanks. But I need a professional cabler to re-terminate the standard 3.5mm jack to balanced, right?

Nah, just someone with good soldering skills. Check your local electronics repair shops. You can find the wiring diagram for all the different jacks online and they can check out with wire goes where with that and a ohm meter.

Aug 29, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #4,245 of 5,804
Just sharing my recent quick listens to a couple of IEMs and headphones at the HK audio show a week ago. Current rig is a WM1Z, with a 4.4mm Brise UPG001 cable to the Z5. So seeing all the IEMs in the show that were available to try, I thought I would see how they sounded. I tried the Final Fi-ba-sst (I could not get a good seal), Dita Dream and Truth with their interchangeable 4.4mm plug, Audeze LCD-i4, iSine 20. Except for the Ditas with their interchangeable plugs which I used the 4.4mm, all the rest were using 3.5 TRS plug. Also a listen to the Noble Kaiser Encore (I have the K10). Also Headphones: Fostex TH900, Audeze LCD-3 and LCD-4, Stax SR009, and one of the L model Stax with rectangular headpiece (don't remember which one as I did not take a picture of it).

Caveats: The listening session was very short, and in a noisy environment. Music source I could control, as I used my WM1Z. No A/B'ing possible, not volume matched, as there were too many people in line to try them. So just a quick subjective listen/impression. I had a thought that I would see if any of them overwhelmed me, so I would look into it in more detail. And I was really curious how they would sound, compared to the Z5s.

The one that I liked, and that I would explore further, was the Dita Truth.

Now, I hasten to add that this is not a proper audition, and I do not believe I had time to hear what the various IEM/earphones are capable of, but taking advantage of these all sitting there and available for a quick listen, one after the other, in a short space of time, it was interesting to get a quick subjective impression. And I was happy that I was not overwhelmed by any particular one, to the point where I was infected with the urge to get it, so I'll just take that as fortunate for me. I am not going to give any evaluation, as there was not enough time to form anything other than a quick and biased impression, so apologies if this is a story with no conclusion.

What I can say is that in this quick try out, with the mismatches in cable, TRS versus 4.4mm Balanced, etc., the Z5 holds up quite well in the areas of stage and prat, which pulls you into the music. And you forget to dissect and analyze the music. Which I suspect many of the IEMs/Earphones I tried would also be able to do, in a better controlled trial. For a fair comparison, would need to use better/different cables, through the 4.4mm balanced out, etc. Ideally, with the same 4.4mm plug and cable into each IEM/Earphone, even though this would not account for different synergy from different set ups. But I will probably never be able to get these ideal conditions, so am happy just to get a brief, imperfect listen.

just curious what made you prefer Truth over Dream?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back