Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jul 29, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #4,202 of 5,804
What are you trying to drive the Z5 with? You need at need 100mW/ch @32 ohm

I was using the 1A out of SE, which means I'm going back to listen through the balanced connection.

Now you have me curious... I want to know how the ex1000s sound through balanced as well. This hobby is dangerous to my wallet :L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #4,203 of 5,804
I was using the 1A out of SE, which means I'm going back to listen through the balanced connection.

Now you have me curious... I want to know how the ex1000s sound through balanced as well. This hobby is dangerous to my wallet :L3000:

From one of my earlier post"

When I A/B the A3 and Z5 over 2 years ago in Tokyo (fully burned in units in store). I use my iPhone and I picked the A3 cause while the 4K spike on the A3 can be a bit sharp at times, the Bass feel tighter, whereas the Z5's mid is a bit more recessed by comparison but the bass seems loose and a bit muddy although it goes a bit lower. It's not until I got the Z5 on a whim a few months ago and start listening to it with a HA-P50, PHA-2A that everything changed.

Also, what was you comparing the Bass to? the Z5 16mm driver is a bit slower than what you get from a smaller driver like the 9mm on the N3 by nature. I also don't think the bass is overwhelming, it just have more presence since the 16mm driver is moving more air mass and it also goes lower,

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #4,204 of 5,804
I drove mine from a ZX100 walkman and they didn-t cut it, WM1A, on SE is good, but heavenly using balance connection

Jul 29, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #4,205 of 5,804
From one of my earlier post"

When I A/B the A3 and Z5 over 2 years ago in Tokyo (fully burned in units in store). I use my iPhone and I picked the A3 cause while the 4K spike on the A3 can be a bit sharp at times, the Bass feel tighter, whereas the Z5's mid is a bit more recessed by comparison but the bass seems loose and a bit muddy although it goes a bit lower. It's not until I got the Z5 on a whim a few months ago and start listening to it with a HA-P50, PHA-2A that everything changed.

Also, what was you comparing the Bass to? the Z5 16mm driver is a bit slower than what you get from a smaller driver like the 9mm on the N3 by nature. I also don't think the bass is overwhelming, it just have more presence since the 16mm driver is moving more air mass and it also goes lower,

I was comparing them to my ex1000s and ex800st, these both sound fine from SE connection.

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #4,206 of 5,804
I was comparing them to my ex1000s and ex800st, these both sound fine from SE connection.

Those being single driver unit will probably sync better and the BA on the Z5 probably make the slower Dynamic driver more noticeable. Then again, it depends on the type of music. I sometime prefer the the Z5 bass which I equate to a well broken-in Drum vs the N3 which sounds more like a new tightly wind drum.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #4,208 of 5,804
for classical i like the z5 better tan the A3

Although I have never heard the A3, I can concur that the Z5s sound utterly sublime with classical of all types/genres on the 1Z - with a balanced connection (never tried single ended with the Z5's). Obviously, if the recording is C**P, you will hear C**P, but modern decent labels frequently sound wonderful; a very refined sound that really is quite surprising. The bass is never over-powering and gives a lovely bite to the lower frequencies, particularly strings. There is a tendency for some labels to just re-package old recordings - and the result is often underwhelming. However, with modern mic'ing and mastering techniques, modern recordings sound as they should. I was never a "recording snob" until I started listening with this combination but now I absolutely am, and I will hold off buying the recording of a particular piece until I can find it on a label I trust to deliver the goods.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #4,209 of 5,804
Although I have never heard the A3, I can concur that the Z5s sound utterly sublime with classical of all types/genres on the 1Z - with a balanced connection (never tried single ended with the Z5's). Obviously, if the recording is C**P, you will hear C**P, but modern decent labels frequently sound wonderful; a very refined sound that really is quite surprising. The bass is never over-powering and gives a lovely bite to the lower frequencies, particularly strings. There is a tendency for some labels to just re-package old recordings - and the result is often underwhelming. However, with modern mic'ing and mastering techniques, modern recordings sound as they should. I was never a "recording snob" until I started listening with this combination but now I absolutely am, and I will hold off buying the recording of a particular piece until I can find it on a label I trust to deliver the goods.
I am a recording snob lol. I do check several recordings of the same piece before deciding which one to download. I tried z5 SE. But the beast unleashed in balanced

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #4,210 of 5,804
Anyone in the US interested in the 4.4mm Kimber cable should check this out on Amazon. Korean dealer is selling the MUC-M12SB1 4.4mm Kimber balanced cable at the price of US$139 with Amazon prime shipping. The MUC-M12SB1 is currently priced at over 22,000 yen (US$200) in Japan while the new non-kimber MUC-M12NB1 is priced at 15,000 yen (US$135). Now I think it's a mistake and they are actually selling the NB1 but if that's the case, you can always return it at their expense. Just search for it on Amazon and look for the ones sold by Buywise.

Just received the package and to my surprise, it is the MUC-M12SB1 which is a steal at that price. It is a Korean market package as seen below:

IMG_3242_zpsz1ddpxun.jpg

http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/Wiz13688/media/IMG_3242_zpsz1ddpxun.jpg.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back