Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
May 22, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #1,756 of 5,804
The dp doesn't look exactly too sporting, but relevant domain. HK is undoubtedly hi-fi gadget heaven, other than Japan itself, so you're fortunately located.  Not sure whether it's possible to try on IEMs here in Oz especially in the chain-like stores, as I'd image not everyone appreciates sharing ear wax, unless they've disposable ear-buds.  Might be worth checking out though.

May 22, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #1,757 of 5,804
  The dp doesn't look exactly too sporting, but relevant domain. HK is undoubtedly hi-fi gadget heaven, other than Japan itself, so you're fortunately located.  Not sure whether it's possible to try on IEMs here in Oz especially in the chain-like stores, as I'd image not everyone appreciates sharing ear wax, unless they've disposable ear-buds.  Might be worth checking out though.

Ha you seem to think of the worst as if by demoing the items are full of ear wax. To ease your mind of negative thoughts the audio stores have cleaning tissues with alcahol or you can bring your own tips to use. I usually clean my ears and I have never had an issue concerning ear wax on products.

May 22, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,758 of 5,804

For starters the Bass on the Z5 is alot alot more stronger deeper and wider. The Mids on the Z5 is wider thicker and upfront but NOT upfront as the Shure House sound but just as clear. The Treble on the IE800 is sharper but the Z5 is no less detailed but it is not as sharp. Sound Stage on the Z5 is much much wider and deeper. Fit the Z5 is much better well almost every IEM fit is better than the IE800.

I have both the Z5 and IE800...  To say that the Z5 has a wider and deeper soundstage sounds quite bizarre to me...  Fit is personal so I get that (though I much prefer the IE800 since they pop in like earbuds and they don't need a good seal, unlike the Z5).  I do agree that the Z5 sounds good (it's pretty smooth, maybe a bit too dark), although it's definitely better when amped...  

May 22, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #1,759 of 5,804

I have both the Z5 and IE800...  To say that the Z5 has a wider and deeper soundstage sounds quite bizarre to me...  Fit is personal so I get that (though I much prefer the IE800 since they pop in like earbuds and they don't need a good seal, unlike the Z5).  I do agree that the Z5 sounds good (it's pretty smooth, maybe a bit too dark), although it's definitely better when amped...  

so how does the bass of ie800 compare to z5, also i do not know if i remember correctly that the ie800 is harsh 

May 22, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #1,760 of 5,804
  so how does the bass of ie800 compare to z5, also i do not know if i remember correctly that the ie800 is harsh 

I think the bass is actually pretty comparable, both feel slightly boosted not over-the-top...  It's amazing that those tiny drivers can produce such impact...  I don't think the IE800 is harsh per se but the treble is certainly much more prominent and sibilence-prone.  The IE800 can also have a bit of a metallic character - that's actually my biggest criticism of the IE800s (along with the proprietary tips and microphonic cable).  The Z5 is very forgiving compared to the IE800, sort of like the HD650 vs the HD800...

May 22, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #1,761 of 5,804

I think the bass is actually pretty comparable, both feel slightly boosted not over-the-top...  It's amazing that those tiny drivers can produce such impact...  I don't think the IE800 is harsh per se but the treble is certainly much more prominent and sibilence-prone.  The IE800 can also have a bit of a metallic character - that's actually my biggest criticism of the IE800s (along with the proprietary tips and microphonic cable).  The Z5 is very forgiving compared to the IE800, sort of like the HD650 vs the HD800...

You put ie800 in a better light then, considering that i am looking for the most revealing iem ever..

May 22, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #1,762 of 5,804
  You put ie800 in a better light then, considering that i am looking for the most revealing iem ever..

If you are after ruthlessly revealing or unforgiving iems, the Z5 won't be a good fit unfortunately. For those characteristics perhaps also check out

1. AKG K3003
  2. Final Audio Design Heaven series (I haven't heard them but only read about them so ymmv) or the FI BA SS - pretty bright and revealing
  3. Ortofon EQ8
  4. Sony MDR EX1000 - more bright and pretty revealing in my experience and I loved them to bits, I still regret returning them but I couldn't financially justify owning them at this time but I do plan to pick them up again at a later time. Also if you get the Ex1000, grab the japanese version cable which is better than the ones released for north america, as a cost saving measure
  5. Audio Technica ATH IM02 or IM03
  6. Audio Technica ATH CRK9 are said to be somewhat analytical and very detailed so that might be to your taste
  7. Dita Answer or Dita Answer Truth Edition

You will notice that the recommended iems have prices all over the place. Happy hunting :wink:

May 22, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #1,763 of 5,804

In that case I'd also consider the Earsonics Velvet - they are my current favorites and in they're in the same price range as the Z5....

May 22, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #1,764 of 5,804
@dweaver @Infinity Knives

Definitively my XBA-H3 have became another thing, another species
biggrin.gif
 after hooking my A17 to the HA-2 amplifier... they no longer sound bloated in bass, they went almost neutral, i was amazed by the sudden change, gotta have more listening session to confirm if it's bias or not, but i note they didn't sound tubey or bassy (like when driven from the A17 directly)

The other that improved vastly was my MDR-1R whose bass was weak now they sound fuller, esp in H-Gain

May 23, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #1,765 of 5,804

In that case I'd also consider the Earsonics Velvet - they are my current favorites and in they're in the same price range as the Z5....

Wouldn't the velvets be the opposite of what he's looking for? :p They are nice and warm like the Z5. Speaking of which I want the velvets so bad but no place to audition them in Canada. I hear they are like Z5 on steroids.

May 23, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #1,767 of 5,804

Wouldn't the velvets be the opposite of what he's looking for? :p They are nice and warm like the Z5. Speaking of which I want the velvets so bad but no place to audition them in Canada. I hear they are like Z5 on steroids.

In No way can the BA driven Velvet be better in the bass department compared to a Dynamic driven IEM. The 846 did very well but the Z5 Bass is alot better.

May 23, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #1,768 of 5,804
Back then I had bad experience with FLC 8 earphone and returned it in a week because the fitting was atrocious and the treble was downright sibilant -  they are completely different from what ljokerl stated. 

Then chose XBA-A3 instead and now I've received the XBA-A3. My Goodness, love the sound right from the box. Fitting was so much better and I love the wide soundstage, articulate bass, and the dark signature.I'm happy to say that the peaky treble of the cymbals / hi-hats is nothing like the FLC 8. But it is one of the biggest earphone I've had - the DN-2K is dwarfed by it! I will have a trouble storing this earphone.

I should make a new thread specialized for XBA-A3 once I grew with it but I hope I find no problem with it. Maybe I will write an article about it by next 3-4 months or so.

May 23, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #1,769 of 5,804
  Back then I had bad experience with FLC 8 earphone and returned it in a week because the fitting was atrocious and the treble was downright sibilant -  they are completely different from what ljokerl stated. 

Then chose XBA-A3 instead and now I've received the XBA-A3. My Goodness, love the sound right from the box. Fitting was so much better and I love the wide soundstage, articulate bass, and the dark signature.I'm happy to say that the peaky treble of the cymbals / hi-hats is nothing like the FLC 8. But it is one of the biggest earphone I've had - the DN-2K is dwarfed by it! I will have a trouble storing this earphone.

I should make a new thread specialized for XBA-A3 once I grew with it but I hope I find no problem with it. Maybe I will write an article about it by next 3-4 months or so.

I really like the A3 a lot.

May 23, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #1,770 of 5,804
just got my Z5 yesterday, and i love the sound!!!!! i just used it with my fiio e17k +e12a combo, and my DX90, i think Z5 makes me smile again.., thanks to erik and daniel hokaido for recommendation!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back