Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
May 3, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #1,548 of 5,804
  do u mean the zx2 alone wont drive the z5 to full potential

Especially with the Z5 no Dap can drive the Z5 with its internam amp to its full potential. From a DAP alone the Z5 still sounds good but the Mids will seem a little ressed and I had to raise the volume to get it to sound better. Its bass is always present and sounds good and Treble is clear. With a good portable amp the Z5 improved  alot and its sound equaled or surpassed Custom IEMs.

May 3, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #1,549 of 5,804
  can anyone compare the z5 to shure 846 and asg2

With no amp the Z5 equals and excells over them. I have both of those IEMs. The ASG2 is good but it depends on the track. On some tracks it does well and on other tracks horrible. Also the ASG2 bass is strong but lacks sub bass. I find that weird due to it having a big Dynamic driver. The 846 is very good all around and it is fun. The 846 is good with all styles of music. The Z5 is as good and I tended to use the Z5 more than the 846 even without an amp. With an amp I am not using the 846 at all. The 846 does well with an amp but not by much and the 846 doesnt really need an amp. The Z5 really needs it because with an amp I am not using the JH13 or JH 16 or the H8P.

May 4, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #1,551 of 5,804
I went back to the audiologist to get a fresh impression of my right side to get a better fit and sent off my tips to be modified. Mainly to have the sound bore of the tip enlarged as it is currently too small. Hopefully they can make it bigger the whole way thru the tip! Cant imagine how much better the Z5 will be then!

May 4, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,553 of 5,804
Tried-out the cables that were sent to me, Balanced audio cable, so far i don't have no balanced source, tried pluggin one 3.5mm plug into my sony A17 and no sound comes no matter  if i connect the R or L plug.

Do I need a Y-splitter (like thos eused for sharing headphones) so sound comes out?, headphone i am using is XBA-H3

I was expecting at least mono e,g from one H3 bud only as one plug is disconnected

May 4, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #1,554 of 5,804
  Tried-out the cables that were sent to me, Balanced audio cable, so far i don't have no balanced source, tried pluggin one 3.5mm plug into my sony A17 and no sound comes no matter  if i connect the R or L plug.

Do I need a Y-splitter (like thos eused for sharing headphones) so sound comes out?, headphone i am using is XBA-H3

I was expecting at least mono e,g from one H3 bud only as one plug is disconnected

It works dudes and @dweaver the problem is like the Z5 MMCX is a bit too short for the H3 receptacle, i compared both cables and the Z5 MMCX plug seems a bit shorter than the H3 plug so i must press it hard to get sound coming (monno so far) so i must make something to make it contact well, remove that shiny colored rings or so

May 4, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #1,555 of 5,804
That makes sense because the H3 cable connection is a bit longer than the Z5 one so stick out a bit on my Z5. Not a perfect fit but servicable.

May 5, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #1,556 of 5,804
That makes sense because the H3 cable connection is a bit longer than the Z5 one so stick out a bit on my Z5. Not a perfect fit but servicable.

and there is no way to make it fit almost, or perfect-fit into H3, because i don't want to use tape
biggrin.gif
, removing some part of it to make it enter deeper?, I've seen Fiio's shure connector tobe slim and i saw one guy with a pic of his H3 and it was so slim that the H3 receptacle had empty space (circumference of fiio shure connector was smaller)

so i am thinking of trimming the circumference of teh Z5 to make it fit in the receptacle of H3 deeper

May 5, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #1,557 of 5,804
It was a gamble for both of us, everything from the postal systems to the fit. I hope you can make the Z5 cable work. Fortunately for me the bit of extra length only affects the esthetic look and not functionality.

May 6, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #1,559 of 5,804
Just got my z5 yesterday and I love them so much!
BTW have anyone tried sony's upgrade cable for z5? I read some brief discussions in several Chinese forums saying that gives z5 a bit more mid and a bit less bass pushing the vocal forward. But the connection is somewhat loose.

May 6, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #1,560 of 5,804
+1 about the Z5 scaling with an amp, contrary to most of my former IEMs (SE846, IE800, PF232 among others), the improvement is *really* significant. 

Especially as pointed out by others the mids are fuller, the bass tighter that's true even if my FiiO E18. Run balanced with PHA-3 adds better soundstage and depth making those even more "3D", almost eerie ! I guess high end DAPs can match this, especially those who have a balanced output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back