Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC
Oct 28, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #211 of 601

As far as the hours go, I can guarantee at least three hours working, haven't had the DAC that long, I could try in the next few days to see when the battery goes flat.

The sound quality compared to the PHA-1 is like cassette and DSD that much of a difference. The DAC section is very, very detailed. See more here

Can I possibly connect my AK120 as a source for DSD files?

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #212 of 601

Yes, but either with toslink or analog, the DSD to PCM decoding is done via the AK120.

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #214 of 601
PC DAC mode only as far as I know, just like the VC SDT.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #215 of 601

As far as the hours go, I can guarantee at least three hours working, haven't had the DAC that long, I could try in the next few days to see when the battery goes flat.

The sound quality compared to the PHA-1 is like cassette and DSD that much of a difference. The DAC section is very, very detailed. See more here

The sound quality differance you post is like night and day and I have to question such radical differance. I own the PHA-1 and its a damn good sounding unit. I do not doubt the
PHA-2 may sound better of different but the magintud of your claims are such that I am hesitant to believe.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #218 of 601
It looks like the PHA-2 is on sale using PriceJapan.  Has anyone ordered one yet?  I'd like to get it now, but am curious whether the Japanese model is the same as the US model.  If there are significant differences, I'll wait.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #219 of 601

If you want to play DSD digitally? Hmm. I don't think so, the PHA-2 is setup for iDevices for digtial playback (PCM only), or the yet to be released Hires portable players from Sony also in PCM only.

You can certainly connect the analog from the AK120 to the PHA-2, remembering that the AK120 performs a DSD2PCM conversion first.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #220 of 601
Everyone has perceptions differently. A fine DAC to me is say the Mytek, or EXA series. An exceptional DAC is PD, Meitner, Luxman. Same with amplifiers, you regard the PHA-1 as a fine amp, I have no problem with that, it's just the difference between the two, I own both, is very dramatic fed with a DSD file.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #221 of 601
  It looks like the PHA-2 is on sale using PriceJapan.  Has anyone ordered one yet?  I'd like to get it now, but am curious whether the Japanese model is the same as the US model.  If there are significant differences, I'll wait.

The only differences will be with the carton, and the instruction manuals will include English/Spanish and others. The drivers downloaded from Sony.jp work on English Windows 7, no issues. Perhaps a warning sticker of some kind obligatory with anything sold in the US?

An order was placed on PriceJapan late September and was despatched mid October. I am not aware of any delivery schedules currently, so I guess send an email to PriceJapan to find out. Am using the PHA-2 everyday as a DAC/Amp with Jriver and it sounds very nice indeed.

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #222 of 601
  Is PHA-2 able to accept DSD / DoP from an iPhone after installing this new app from Onkyo?

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/onkyo-hf-player/id704139896?mt=8

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/articles/onkyo-hf-player-app-offers-precision-equalizer-192-24-playback-on-ios-devices-96729.html

Setting Jriver to DoP (not the Legacy) in either DSP or Bitstreaming plays music, DSF/FLAC doesn't matter, so the PHA-2 can receive DoP. Whether the Idevice will transfer this or not, dunno. 

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #223 of 601
Does PHA-2 enough to drive LCD-2? I am still struggling between  hifi-m8 + D100 and PHA-2, because I want to play DSD but not sure about the amp of pha-2.

I've read a review online said that the PHA-2 performs quite well with LCD-3, but that's the only article I can find now. 

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #224 of 601
Pardon my ignorance on DSD but why is sony releasing a DSD capable DAC? Is there some channel for people to get -Sony- DRM DSD content? My limited knowledge tells me DSD lives on SACDs and ripped tracks. I don't think sony would promote ripping and since they are also a music label I would think they would have some mechanism to publish DRM DSD music from their own label before releasing hardware that can play it.

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #225 of 601
Pardon my ignorance on DSD but why is sony releasing a DSD capable DAC? Is there some channel for people to get -Sony- DRM DSD content? My limited knowledge tells me DSD lives on SACDs and ripped tracks. I don't think sony would promote ripping and since they are also a music label I would think they would have some mechanism to publish DRM DSD music from their own label before releasing hardware that can play it.

You can buy DSD soft format online at places such as e-Onkyo in Japan but other sites overseas too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back