Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Mar 23, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #9,511 of 9,635
Oh, i used stock cable. I felt it was like an uncomfortable 'step' on the high frequency area. Is custom cable works on that? Can you recommend me a cable?
A pure silver or pure copper (I’ve used Kimber Axios CU and 2 Lavri Grand silver) all got rid of the peak

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #9,512 of 9,635
Oh, i used stock cable. I felt it was like an uncomfortable 'step' on the high frequency area. Is custom cable works on that? Can you recommend me a cable?
Double Helix Complement C (OCC Copper) or Prion4 (OCC Silver).

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #9,513 of 9,635
After owning this headphone for a few months and using it daily out of the Sony TA-ZH1ES I can confirm that if anyone asks anywhere for a HIGH-QUALITY "Gaming headphone" or a "Movie/Multimedia headphone" this thing should be the universal answer.

I was looking for something to accompany the Focal Utopia as a closed alternative to use for games mainly, and I even went so far as to grab a ZMF Verite closed.
While the ZMF was absolutely incredible, it didn't offer as much isolation as I'd hoped and I had a few comfort niggles. YMMV of course.

This thing is however INCREDIBLE.
I feel like there are a lot of people doing it a disservice by painting it as "too coloured" or "too dark" or "too SONY"(?), which can turn people off from even considering a headphone like this, given its price range.

But I'm here to put this message out there that if you're like me, and you want a banging multimedia headphone, do yourself a favour and find somewhere where you can try it.
Or just buy it and sell it on if you're unhappy.
Now maybe the TAZ is doing a lot of the heavy lifting in this particular setup, but I even read some people disliking this particular combo for it being "too warm".

I also find that it's incredible for music.
If this was my only setup I would be perfectly happy.
And as far as comfort - I don't think it gets much better than this.

TLDR: I'm preaching to the choir in this thread, but it's much better than I ever assumed it would be, but maybe I just like "too warm".

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #9,514 of 9,635
Not the first time I've heard/read this.

If Z1R are warm...is there a term "Hot" sounding or "Too hot"?

Because I don't hear Z1R as warm, not a bit, especially when compared to other headphones that I consider warm.

I would explain the sound more as fresh, clear, detailed, exciting...

D8000 are possibly warm, Verum - definitely warm, HOT if Z1R are warm :), Ibasso SR3 warmish...some Sennheisers...etc

But MDR Z1R warm?

Damn, we experience sound so differently :)

Cheers!

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #9,515 of 9,635
Can anyone here recommend an open back planar that is complementary or similar to the MDR-Z1R tonality wise? I absolutely adore my MDR-Z1R since I purchased it a few weeks ago. It sounds amazing with all my gear. I'm hoping to find an open back planar to complete my personal collection. I'd appreciate any helpful input. I'm going to use the Violectric V222 as my Amp for context.

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #9,516 of 9,635
Can anyone here recommend an open back planar that is complementary or similar to the MDR-Z1R tonality wise? I absolutely adore my MDR-Z1R since I purchased it a few weeks ago. It sounds amazing with all my gear. I'm hoping to find an open back planar to complete my personal collection. I'd appreciate any helpful input. I'm going to use the Violectric V222 as my Amp for context.
I have the LCD-X and with a OCC copper cable (DHC Complement C). I feel it makes a great complement.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #9,519 of 9,635
Why limit yourself to a planar, outta curiosity? :)
I like the speed of Planars. I'm not opposed to other types of drivers, but that is my preference. If you have any suggestions that aren't planar but are open back and complementary or similar to the Sony MDR-Z1R, I'd love to hear about it. I certainly appreciate the input.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #9,520 of 9,635
I am interested in the Hifiman HE1000 Stealth. Perhaps that could be what you are looking for. Stealth or SE.

Cheers!
Thank you for the suggestion, I previously owned a pair of the HE1000se. I'm not certain it's something I want to revisit. I had a hard time feeling any connection to the music even though the HE1000se had amazing clarity. At the time I had a GS-X Mini and the synergy was off between TEAC UD-505, GS-X Mini, and HE1000se. I my opinion, it wasn't the best pairing and was somewhat fatiguing to listen to for long durations.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #9,521 of 9,635
Not the first time I've heard/read this.

If Z1R are warm...is there a term "Hot" sounding or "Too hot"?

Because I don't hear Z1R as warm, not a bit, especially when compared to other headphones that I consider warm.

I would explain the sound more as fresh, clear, detailed, exciting...

D8000 are possibly warm, Verum - definitely warm, HOT if Z1R are warm :), Ibasso SR3 warmish...some Sennheisers...etc

But MDR Z1R warm?

Damn, we experience sound so differently :)

Cheers!
I agree, the Z1R's are not warm sounding. I think they reproduce instruments and melodies accurately with Sony's touch of magic. Some people even described the FR as heavily V-shaped.

Sounds like people hear what they want and just regurgitate what they read.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #9,522 of 9,635
Not familiar with it but I've read great reviews about the new Abyss Diana MR. Worth to give it a try if you can.

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #9,523 of 9,635
I have the Abyss V2's coming tomorrow (fingers crossed). I will see how they stack up against my Z1R's. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking for a good open-back to compliment my Z1R's. I became a first time Dad on Xmas day, and I want some good open-backs so I can hear my daughter lol. I have the LCD-2's but I'm looking for a little change in sound.

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #9,524 of 9,635
I have the Abyss V2's coming tomorrow (fingers crossed). I will see how they stack up against my Z1R's. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking for a good open-back to compliment my Z1R's. I became a first time Dad on Xmas day, and I want some good open-backs so I can hear my daughter lol. I have the LCD-2's but I'm looking for a little change in sound.
Big Congratulations my guy! Fatherhood is an awesome Journey! Cherish every day with your Daughter. It's remarkable to watch the Littles grow and develop their personality. I'm amazed every day at my Son's development.

Let me know how that Abyss works out. I tried one of their Headphones that I affectionately refer to as a Bear Trap. The fit was really distracting so I couldn't even get into the sound. I'm looking at the Diana MR @musicday suggested as well. Also considering and the Audeze MM-500, LCD-4z, or LCD-5. For now the search continues.

Also the Sony MDR-Z1R, Violectric HPA V222, and TEAC UD-505 ... Man that is a listening experience. Music is best when you just can't stop feeling and enjoying the music..toe tapping, head nodding, and all smiles.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #9,525 of 9,635
Big Congratulations my guy! Fatherhood is an awesome Journey! Cherish every day with your Daughter. It's remarkable to watch the Littles grow and develop their personality. I'm amazed every day at my Son's development.

Let me know how that Abyss works out. I tried one of their Headphones that I affectionately refer to as a Bear Trap. The fit was really distracting so I couldn't even get into the sound. I'm looking at the Diana MR @musicday suggested as well. Also considering and the Audeze MM-500, LCD-4z, or LCD-5. For now the search continues.

Also the Sony MDR-Z1R, Violectric HPA V222, and TEAC UD-505 ... Man that is a listening experience. Music is best when you just can't stop feeling and enjoying the music..toe tapping, head nodding, and all smiles.
Thanks man! It's an indescribable feeling whenever I see her! 3 months later and she looks so different. Time flies!

I heard the MR's for about 20 mins and they were pretty good, I would've love some more time with them. I really wanted the LCD-5's or LCD-3's but decided to switch up...for now. I am leaning more towards the LCD-5 tbh. Depending on the outcome of the V2's, I will either keep them or just bite the bullet and get the LCD-5 and call it a day. They sounded so good when I heard them and the weight was perfect.

I will use my Burson Stack to power the Abyss. I recently swapped in some V7 Vivid and Classic Opamps into my Composer 3XP. They sound wonderful with my Z1R. I love the idea of the TEAC UD-505 because it has the ability to truly A/B headphones. I haven't heard the Violectric but I keep seeing the name pop up, I assume it sounds wonderful.

How does it compare to Burson's offering, if you had a chance to hear Burson?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back