Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Mar 27, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #9,526 of 9,633
I like the speed of Planars. I'm not opposed to other types of drivers, but that is my preference. If you have any suggestions that aren't planar but are open back and complementary or similar to the Sony MDR-Z1R, I'd love to hear about it. I certainly appreciate the input.
Then you owe it to yourself to read this most recent review where the OP compares the Verite to planars and electrostats. :)

ZMF Vérité Reviews

Just like the Z1R, the VO didn’t get a fair shake with some reviewers and then those opinions propagated unfairly.

I’ve heard several TOTL planar flagships, and sold my LCD-5, just to ultimately repurchase the VO.

It really just depends on what you’re optimizing. Both the VO and Z1R prioritize the music first, but still retain the superb technicalities to keep the left brain engaged and focused. The VO, with its speedy drivers and natural timbre is a great complement to the Z1R.

However, if you want the absolute last word in detail and resolution, then Abyss is probably what you’re after.

Congrats on the little one, @shadymouse! My daughter was born in October last year. : )

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #9,527 of 9,633
Then you owe it to yourself to read this most recent review where the OP compares the Verite to planars and electrostats. :)

ZMF Vérité Reviews

Just like the Z1R, the VO didn’t get a fair shake with some reviewers and then those opinions propagated unfairly.

I’ve heard several TOTL planar flagships, and sold my LCD-5, just to ultimately repurchase the VO.

It really just depends on what you’re optimizing. Both the VO and Z1R prioritize the music first, but still retain the superb technicalities to keep the left brain engaged and focused. The VO, with its speedy drivers and natural timbre is a great complement to the Z1R.

However, if you want the absolute last word in detail and resolution, then Abyss is probably what you’re after.

Congrats on the little one, @shadymouse! My daughter was born in October last year. : )
Congrats with your baby girl too man! I'm beginning to understand that Dads and Audio go to together!

I really liked the Verite closed-backs but I thought the Z1R's were better to my ear. I haven't had a chance to try the Verite open-back. Interesting that you like the VO's that much better. You have me intrigued now.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #9,528 of 9,633
I am leaning more towards the LCD-5 tbh. Depending on the outcome of the V2's
I bought a V2 and returned it. I also listened to LCD-5, and I can tell you these two headphones sound completely different.
Hmm, have you tried Focals...new Utopia? That's a Lamborghini in headphones world for me :)
I was stunned by the speed and excitement they served.
Since you are looking at LCD-5, then the price of Utopia wouldn't be a problem either. I think they cost about the same.
Also, there are SASH as an option.
I have one on pre-order, and I am not sure about the sound signature, except that they are exceptional headphones :)

My first pick for recommendation would be Final D8000, but it's not similar sounding to Z1R.

Cheers!

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #9,529 of 9,633
I bought a V2 and returned it. I also listened to LCD-5, and I can tell you these two headphones sound completely different.
Hmm, have you tried Focals...new Utopia? That's a Lamborghini in headphones world for me :)
I was stunned by the speed and excitement they served.
Since you are looking at LCD-5, then the price of Utopia wouldn't be a problem either. I think they cost about the same.
Also, there are SASH as an option.
I have one on pre-order, and I am not sure about the sound signature, except that they are exceptional headphones :)

My first pick for recommendation would be Final D8000, but it's not similar sounding to Z1R.

Cheers!
I listened to the Utopias at CanJam. I thought they sounded good, but I would like a longer listen in my own zone. I saw a few floating around in the Classified section as well as the LCD-5.

I didn't like pads on the Final D8000. Odd choice of material when I tried them. I like my leather pads!

What didn't you like about the V2's if you don't mind me asking.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #9,530 of 9,633
What didn't you like about the V2's if you don't mind me asking.
Hmm, sounded broken, sibilant and distorted. I didn't want to risk a 14-day return policy.
I have never had a similar experience with any headphones.

Those were the only headphones that I bought and returned.
Also design and ergonomics were not good for me.
But many people love them...

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #9,531 of 9,633
Thanks man! It's an indescribable feeling whenever I see her! 3 months later and she looks so different. Time flies!

I heard the MR's for about 20 mins and they were pretty good, I would've love some more time with them. I really wanted the LCD-5's or LCD-3's but decided to switch up...for now. I am leaning more towards the LCD-5 tbh. Depending on the outcome of the V2's, I will either keep them or just bite the bullet and get the LCD-5 and call it a day. They sounded so good when I heard them and the weight was perfect.

I will use my Burson Stack to power the Abyss. I recently swapped in some V7 Vivid and Classic Opamps into my Composer 3XP. They sound wonderful with my Z1R. I love the idea of the TEAC UD-505 because it has the ability to truly A/B headphones. I haven't heard the Violectric but I keep seeing the name pop up, I assume it sounds wonderful.

How does it compare to Burson's offering, if you had a chance to hear Burson?
You're welcome my guy! I like the sound and aesthetic of the LCD-5 as well. So we shall see.

So far I'm loving the Violectric. It's compact, powerful, and very engaging. I feel that I have found an amplifier that compliments all my IEMs and Headphone(s). I'm more than content and the Open back headphone would be the icing on the cake.

As for Burson, I used to own a Conductor 3X Reference. Even after changing the Op Amps, I wasn't very happy with the purchase. It was waaaaay too powerful for any application I intended to use it for. I use IEMs a lot and the noise floor was something I couldn't get over. It was also much brighter sounding than my sensibilities could tolerate for extended listening. However, I could see it being very popular with people that gravitate toward that sound signature or have warmer headphones. The other issue was the Temperature of the C3XR... well that coupled with a tower, large monitor, and the fact that the room I listen in is hotter than the rest of the house...At the end of the day, It was clear that it wasn't for me. It's a shame because I do like the aesthetics of their wares.

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #9,533 of 9,633

ZMF Vérité Reviews

Congratulations to you as well @sp33ls on the little one! Thank you for the input. I do like ZMF's wares plus it helps that the Zach and his Wife are awesome people. ZMF's headphones are quite possibly some of the most beautiful designs. I've only heard ZMF headphones twice and from what I recollect it was a positive experience but, I've never tried them with gear I own. I'll definitely take ZMF into consideration as well. Going to read the review you linked. Greatly appreciated!!!

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #9,534 of 9,633
Hmm, sounded broken, sibilant and distorted. I didn't want to risk a 14-day return policy.
I have never had a similar experience with any headphones.

Those were the only headphones that I bought and returned.
Also design and ergonomics were not good for me.
But many people love them...

Understandable. They're too damn expensive to not be 100% satisfied. I would had done the same in your shoes.

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #9,535 of 9,633
I just feel lucky to own such incredible headphones, 8 years into production and still holding their own against todays offerings.
It's crazy to see how long ago they were released. Sony has something special with these headphones man. I understand people like certain sound signatures and whatnot but if you don't like the Z1R's, I would love to know what exactly. It has great mids, excellent bass and articulate highs. It has a wide soundstage for closed-backs, depth, details, and Sony's signature timbre. Vocals especially sound goosebumpy when needed. The only knock I can see is that it isn't as fast as something like the LCD-5. The Z1R's checks just about all the boxes in my opinion. Hell, it even comes in one of the nicest cases I've seen. IDK what Sony can do to top themselves.

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #9,536 of 9,633
Imaging - "Perfect." Z1R has perfect sound image performance, not only right, left and in front of the head, but also behind.
Timbre - "Theater-like." Due to the closed design, it gives little bit muddy timbre compared to the open back headphones, like Clear MG.
However, that muddy sound came to me positively, as like sound in theater.
Resolution - "Price represents it." Lower than Stellia (back and forth separation of instruments), Little bit lower than HD800s, Similar to Clear MG, much higher than Z7M2.
Tonality - "A Peak." Anyone will be able to feel an obvious peak around 10k. I found it is uncomfortable. It was the only reason that made me sell this headphone.
Quite good sub-bass impression, and it makes z1r sounds more cinematic.
Build - "Perfect." Covered with genuine leather, decent curve on earcup, smooth headband adjust.

I don't hear the peak, and I have very good hearing. I think this may vary by personal anatomy. Otherwise I agree with this evaluation.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #9,537 of 9,633
I'm not a technical listener, but I assume it was that peak that had me sell my first pair after I got the IER-Z1R. That was even with the Sony Kimber out of the TA-ZH1ES, but more obvious out of my WM1Z. I bought my second pair for movies as I will often clock up more viewing time than listening time in a week, the odd time I listen to music with them I don't notice it as much for whatever reason.

This made me chuckle:

433930026_10232851818026929_5930814268880927762_n.jpg

Apr 7, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #9,539 of 9,633
@purk do yoh libr near sea-environment... because after five years of getting the.Z1R from you both of the 3.5mm jacks on the headphone have developed crackling in the sound whenever the blocks of my cable rotate inside thr jacks. Or it has to be the blocks of my new cable are made with rhodium plating?

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #9,540 of 9,633
@purk do yoh libr near sea-environment... because after five years of getting the.Z1R from you both of the 3.5mm jacks on the headphone have developed crackling in the sound whenever the blocks of my cable rotate inside thr jacks. Or it has to be the blocks of my new cable are made with rhodium plating?
I don’t live near the sea or the shore line. Five years is a long time man and those Sony jacks may just have reached the end of their life. Honestly I don’t know what cause this though but why not just get those jack replaced locally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back