Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Mar 23, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #9,500 of 9,644
Was at the Sony flagship store in Ginza today. The Z1R figured prominently. No info on a succesor from the friendly staff, but they didn't seem like in-the-know Sony audio engineers either. :)

Make what you will of it.

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #9,501 of 9,644
There has always been large timelines between Sony's flagships, because they tend to get them so right. I think all the Signature gear will slowly tail off as sales slow, covid affected as did parts i guess, as they are hand assembled in a different workshop to their regular factories, eventually they will cease production due to financial decisions which will be followed by discontinued parts. I then think they will become sought after, holding an inflated used price. After which Sony will probably bring another flagship several years down the line, which i feel as bluetooth becomes more high res and popular maybe they will be dual use models offering the audiophiles cable option and bluetooth for others?

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #9,502 of 9,644
If you are a Sony fan, Z1R is amazing piece of work based on the tuning. It is being years after they launch the Z1R, I am looking for their 2nd gen.
You don’t like the Z1R, or what is it lacking that you expect to see in the 2nd gen, out of curiosity?

Mar 23, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #9,504 of 9,644
I would expect something that I couldn't expect...that's what I would expect from Sony :)
They will make it, and you will say...damn!

But Z1R second gen...hmm...we keep dreaming :wink:
The 2 Z1R are so good that I don’t expect to buy any more headphones in my lifetime unless one of them fails so I need to buy something new

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #9,506 of 9,644
image.jpg
Burning my new Lavricables grand cryo-silver cable in

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #9,507 of 9,644
Imaging - "Perfect." Z1R has perfect sound image performance, not only right, left and in front of the head, but also behind.
Timbre - "Theater-like." Due to the closed design, it gives little bit muddy timbre compared to the open back headphones, like Clear MG.
However, that muddy sound came to me positively, as like sound in theater.
Resolution - "Price represents it." Lower than Stellia (back and forth separation of instruments), Little bit lower than HD800s, Similar to Clear MG, much higher than Z7M2.
Tonality - "A Peak." Anyone will be able to feel an obvious peak around 10k. I found it is uncomfortable. It was the only reason that made me sell this headphone.
Quite good sub-bass impression, and it makes z1r sounds more cinematic.
Build - "Perfect." Covered with genuine leather, decent curve on earcup, smooth headband adjust.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #9,508 of 9,644
Imaging - "Perfect." Z1R has perfect sound image performance, not only right, left and in front of the head, but also behind.
Timbre - "Theater-like." Due to the closed design, it gives little bit muddy timbre compared to the open back headphones, like Clear MG.
Resolution - "Price represents it." Lower than Stellia (in back and forth separation), Little bit lower than HD800s, Similar to Clear MG, much higher than Z7M2.
Tonality - "A Peak." Anyone will be able to feel an obvious peak around 10k. I found it is uncomfortable. It was only reason I sold this headphone.
Build - "Perfect." Covered with genuine leather, decent curve on earcup, smooth headband adjust.
I like both: my Z1R & utopia 2020

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #9,509 of 9,644
Resolution - "Price represents it." Lower than Stellia (back and forth separation of instruments), Little bit lower than HD800s, Similar to Clear MG, much higher than Z7M2.
Tonality - "A Peak." Anyone will be able to feel an obvious peak around 10k. I found it is uncomfortable. It was the only reason that made me sell this headphone.
Quite good sub-bass impression, and it makes z1r sounds more cinematic.
Are you using the stock cable?
Everything improves inc the 'peak' which disappears with a cable upgrade, preferably silver. This is pretty unanimous on this thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back