Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 29, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #5,986 of 9,634
Oh.had no idea, any notable differences?

No idea, just noticed that it was available which it was not when I bought mine

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #5,988 of 9,634
Same with me when I bought mine that option wasn’t available
The pricing seems to be the same as it doesn't change when you select either of them. I don't understand cable specs to know what the actual sound differences might be.

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #5,989 of 9,634
The pricing seems to be the same as it doesn't change when you select either of them. I don't understand cable specs to know what the actual sound differences might be.
I don't think there's much of it, but i'm pretty sure the solid core one is less flexible. Don't put too much stock in 5n or 6n silver. I think it's down to conductivity. That said, just to be i'm going silver for all my cables from now on, including the BNC cables between Dave and the M-scaler. Even with the digital cables i've heard the same thing comparing silver to copper in the headphone cable.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #5,990 of 9,634
Good to see the Z1R are still getting some love.
I've been adjusting my life's priorities actively these past years, something that also influenced what/when I listen to, but somehow the Z1R remain right next to me at most times, often along with my old set of HD800(non-S).

Several others arrived and left, these two tend to stick around and feel special every time, despite their particular limitations in different ways. Wonder for how long. I doubt any of the two will beat my near-20 year relationship with the [now gone] CD3000, but who knows.

But back to the topic, lets just say, they're aging quite well - soundwise it's always subjective, but in terms of build quality and comfort I think there isn't much margin for disagreement - and in both aspects the Z1R have delivered superbly from day 1 after receiving one of the first pre-order units. Still the most comfortable headphones I ever used and they feel perfect in build.

In terms of sound.... it's up to your ears and brain to enjoy and decide. Mine have fully accepted them, both strenghts and weaknesses, combined in an overall mostly satisfying experience.

IMG_0823.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #5,991 of 9,634
Anyone think there will be any black Friday deals this year on these? (Specifically in the US)

I currently have the Z7s, my first pair of nice headphones and I am very happy with them. I seem to have gotten the itch to upgrade now that I've gotten a taste of proper sounding music. I have thought about going with the Klipsch HP-3s, Denon D7200s, Emu Teak, or maybe even the Meze 99 Noir on the budget side. However, I love the Sony house sound and LOVE the sub bass these produce. I prefer a warm/dark sound and would even consider myself a true basshead, but one that also loves vocal clarity. I like my bass but I don't like it bleeding into the mids and muddying everything up. I modded mine by putting a piece of tape over the hole in the vent that goes into the ear cup and it made a world of difference for sound quality and bass extension.

On one end of the spectrum I listen to a lot of EDM, dubstep, hip hop, but also classic rock and classical on the other end.

I think the Z1r's are calling my name, but I also don't want to give up too much of my much beloved bass. Maybe the Z7s will be my bass can and the Z1r will be for more refined listening.

I apologize if this post is off topic or in the wrong section but I appreciate any feedback from you guys!

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #5,992 of 9,634
Anyone think there will be any black Friday deals this year on these? (Specifically in the US)

I currently have the Z7s, my first pair of nice headphones and I am very happy with them. I seem to have gotten the itch to upgrade now that I've gotten a taste of proper sounding music. I have thought about going with the Klipsch HP-3s, Denon D7200s, Emu Teak, or maybe even the Meze 99 Noir on the budget side. However, I love the Sony house sound and LOVE the sub bass these produce. I prefer a warm/dark sound and would even consider myself a true basshead, but one that also loves vocal clarity. I like my bass but I don't like it bleeding into the mids and muddying everything up. I modded mine by putting a piece of tape over the hole in the vent that goes into the ear cup and it made a world of difference for sound quality and bass extension.

On one end of the spectrum I listen to a lot of EDM, dubstep, hip hop, but also classic rock and classical on the other end.

I think the Z1r's are calling my name, but I also don't want to give up too much of my much beloved bass. Maybe the Z7s will be my bass can and the Z1r will be for more refined listening.

I apologize if this post is off topic or in the wrong section but I appreciate any feedback from you guys!
I often heard "once you listen to y1R you cannot unhear
It" true, I had the Z7 and then got the Z1R. I ended selling z7

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #5,994 of 9,634
It's very unlikely there will be any black friday deals for sony TOTL products. You may get deals on Z7mk2 or WH1000MX4.
I used to follow them as well, but i've learned that deals on Hi-FI are kind of irrelevant. If you have a good relationship with your dealer you can get discounts bigger than black friday deals at any time.

Oct 30, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #5,995 of 9,634

Hi there,

Have you ever seen this guy's review channel? When I was looking at the Z1R, I was very influenced by the video I will link below. :) He demos the Z7, Z7mk2 and Z1R here and the Z1R have a bit more refinement over the others. The bass is so full and home speaker like. His video doesn't really portray that perfectly. I would not call this headphone dark in any way though.

I only have the Z1R in this Sony line up and I absolutely love them! I use a little EQ to soften them up and by doing so, I even found them to be just slightly better than my VC's. Sony's official price on the Z1R has dropped significantly since I got them as well.

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #5,997 of 9,634
Good to see the Z1R are still getting some love.
I've been adjusting my life's priorities actively these past years, something that also influenced what/when I listen to, but somehow the Z1R remain right next to me at most times, often along with my old set of HD800(non-S).

Several others arrived and left, these two tend to stick around and feel special every time, despite their particular limitations in different ways. Wonder for how long. I doubt any of the two will beat my near-20 year relationship with the [now gone] CD3000, but who knows.

But back to the topic, lets just say, they're aging quite well - soundwise it's always subjective, but in terms of build quality and comfort I think there isn't much margin for disagreement - and in both aspects the Z1R have delivered superbly from day 1 after receiving one of the first pre-order units. Still the most comfortable headphones I ever used and they feel perfect in build.

In terms of sound.... it's up to your ears and brain to enjoy and decide. Mine have fully accepted them, both strenghts and weaknesses, combined in an overall mostly satisfying experience.

IMG_0823.JPG
Glad to see you still chiming in every now and then :)

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #5,998 of 9,634
Hi there,

Have you ever seen this guy's review channel? When I was looking at the Z1R, I was very influenced by the video I will link below. :) He demos the Z7, Z7mk2 and Z1R here and the Z1R have a bit more refinement over the others. The bass is so full and home speaker like. His video doesn't really portray that perfectly. I would not call this headphone dark in any way though.

I only have the Z1R in this Sony line up and I absolutely love them! I use a little EQ to soften them up and by doing so, I even found them to be just slightly better than my VC's. Sony's official price on the Z1R has dropped significantly since I got them as well.

I knew that youtube channel (when I was collecting info of the Z1R) and is so funny, especially Tyll's interpretation :wink:

I heard the video with a Beyer DT 150 and couldn't determine properly which was the "correct bass" for that song. Then, I listened to the youtube video of that song also with the Beyer DT 150 (a studio headphone) and the bass sounded like with the Z7, but I preferred the bass on the Z1R in the Bret video :relieved: (maybe a funnier bass)... Anyway, I will determine if I like Sony bass in my preferred songs next week with the Z7 and maybe in the future with the Z1R :smile:

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #5,999 of 9,634
I bought from this auction and compared it to the Kimber at the Sony Store in Ginza, it's a legit auction. The Kimber Kable makes a HUGE difference with the MDR-Z1R. It reduces the treble and smooths out the overall presentation. I HIGHLY recommend the Kimber Kable.
Just went for it. I'm expecting the Z1R on Tuesday and the cable by December, so I'll have at least one month to support the consensus, or not, of the visible improvements all across the SQ between the stock cable and the Sony/Kimber one. (It's been really fun reading pages 200-220 on this regarding).

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #6,000 of 9,634
Wow. It has been a long time since I enjoyed listening to music as much as I do with my new Sony MDR-Z1Rs. I sold my Focal Clear and Hifiman Arya and passed up on a cheap Utopia just because of these HPs. They are the ultimate in luxury, comfort, and pleasure.

Based on the music I listen to (modern), I don't think there's a better headphone for me out there to be honest. I am so incredibly happy. I don't get how people out there think they're overpriced and have inadequate sound qualities.

Question: is anyone considering the A&K Kann alpha to drive these? They now have a 4.4 balanced output. I'm currently running these from a Fiio Q3 attached to my MacBook Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back