Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 19, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #3,931 of 9,638
I found that true using the stock cable. The recommendation is to use an all copper cable like the Sony Kimber or Kimber AXIOS. I went with the AXIOS and have zero issue with the high end like I do with the LCD-X.
The Sony Kimber cable - It is not available in 4meter length. The AXIOS is out of my budget for 4meter.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #3,933 of 9,638
Would this OCC Copper cable from Atlas be a good match. It is available in 4meter which is the length i require.
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/atlas-zeno-1-2-custom-headphone-cable

£405 includes tax

What would you be pairing the Z1R with? People like to crap on the stock cable but I enjoy it with laid back DACs like the Mojo. I also love how lightweight/pliable the stock cable is and that it has no microphonics. Once I went to a bit brighter/more revealing source (Hugo 2) I preferred the Sony/Kimber but hate how big, unwieldy, and ugly it is. Not to mention it has microphonics issues.

Dec 20, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #3,935 of 9,638
Recordings of stock/modded stock cables are coming as the weekend's approaching... Judge if the stock's been 'Sony's objectively best choice of SQ' by yourself

There is no such thing as objectively best, all depends on personal preferences and pairing gear

Dec 20, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #3,936 of 9,638
What would you be pairing the Z1R with? People like to crap on the stock cable but I enjoy it with laid back DACs like the Mojo. I also love how lightweight/pliable the stock cable is and that it has no microphonics. Once I went to a bit brighter/more revealing source (Hugo 2) I preferred the Sony/Kimber but hate how big, unwieldy, and ugly it is. Not to mention it has microphonics issues.
Well you might make fun of me. I will connect to headphone output of my Sony AF9OLED TV. People don’t believe me when I say that the headphone output on my TV is amazing. It actually sounded as good as my previously owned Sony TA-ZH1ES = £1,500.

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #3,938 of 9,638
Well you might make fun of me. I will connect to headphone output of my Sony AF9OLED TV. People don’t believe me when I say that the headphone output on my TV is amazing. It actually sounded as good as my previously owned Sony TA-ZH1ES = £1,500.
If you say sounds "very close to" i believe you. The AF9 is not a cheap TV, it probably has the same level of quality components in there as the TA. Maybe can't decode all the same things etc.

I don’t understand. What’s happening this weekend?
Witcher marathon on Netflix of course. Oh wait, in this thread? Someone is trying to prove (to whom i have no idea) that:
a) he can objectively show that one cable is better than the other
b) that Sony cheated him by not shipping the best cables possible

by uploading some videos (yeah, like i believe stuff posted on the internet by some stranger. I can create lot's of videos that are totally real, like me winning an "olympic gold medal in silver plated cable streching").

Me personally, i do the Witcher thing.

Frank

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #3,939 of 9,638
There is no such thing as objectively best, all depends on personal preferences and pairing gear
I started the stock cable topic only to prove Sony's not making cables exactly as what they claimed to be because they need some costdown; it's some others then jump out (you are not one of them, surely) and say like 'it's Sony's best choice' or 'cable doesn't matter' or even simply 'you are annoying' (should I report this?). So the recordings are only made to present the real times when I feel the stock is not 'Sony's best choice' or 'cable does matter'. I never said any cable is an objectively best option for the Z1R.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #3,940 of 9,638

Thank-you!

27CBC2F8-4079-4155-BF2C-BB41F5AA6974.jpeg

Dec 20, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #3,943 of 9,638

I agree. I now have the black dragon cable and its horrible microphonic

Dec 20, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #3,944 of 9,638
Still listening to mine every night in bed before I go to sleep, it's such an enjoyable and relaxing headphone for that purpose that sometimes I lose myself and ends up sleeping a couple of hours too late lol.

Also having recently purchased the supposed "measures better and cost less" Denon D7200, I'm not convinced by that reputation at all and is keeping the Z1R for sure. In fact I'm really debating whether I really should keep the D7200 because it really doesn't sound better than the Z1R to me and comfort wise falls way behind the Z1R.
I see you also have Focal Clear. I own the Clear and might get the Z1R. Have you tried the Clear stock cable on the Z1r?

Dec 20, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #3,945 of 9,638
These are comfy, sexy headphones. How do they sound to me?

Uneven.

They're choc full of bass...and lower midrange. Mid to treble transition sounds fairly v-shaped. The sibilance these things produce is inescapable, unnatural. Cymbals lack body, they just kind of...hiss and ring. I noticed faults a little less while listening to classical and jazz, but once electric guitars and vocals kick in in rock and pop it's pretty obvious where these things could use some tweaking.

Comparing them to other closed cans reveal stark differences to me. Audioquest NightOwl Carbon is much more neutral and natural sounding, though still a bit v-shaped in the mid-treble transition. B&W P7 is more natural sounding with less bass emphasis and a better bass-mid transition. These are more open and natural sounding between 1-7khz than the Z1R. Sibilance isn't as piercing as the Sony. These are slightly shouty though, soundstage isn't great. B&W P9 has similar boosted bass and lower mids, possibly these are a bit boomier. Kinda mushy sounding to me compared to the Z1R, but they don't have the sibilance javelin of death.

Ultimately I think the NightOwl Carbon beats these handily at every turn, and they are pretty comfy. There is less coloration inbetween the recording and your ears with them. The Z1R isn't at all neutral or natural sounding, but I guess not everyone is looking for that.

Comparo rigs:
Sony ZH1ES+WM1Z
Naim V1+Tidal

Sibilance. This post above is concerning. I need to think again as was about to purchase them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back