Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 25, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #3,241 of 9,634
After 2 1/2 years I’ve yet to find an album that dos not sound good on the Z1R
Actually, I do have a handful. But I've hesitated to post these as this thread tends to respond better to Z1R love than to Z1R criticism :wink:

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #3,242 of 9,634
Actually, I do have a handful. But I've hesitated to post these as this thread tends to respond better to Z1R love than to Z1R criticism :wink:

You shouldn’t hesitate, that is a perfectly acceptable finding

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #3,243 of 9,634
Admittedly, it is nitpicking. But then again this is a TOTL "signature" product from one of the greatest audio gear manufacturers - so the bar is set high :)

Okay, so, just to give a couple examples, I think that these two songs for instance do not work particularly well with the Z1Rs as they put a finger on one of its aspects that are "down to taste" so to say :) And that would be my perception of there being a rather obvious unnatural coloration in the upper mids. (You see, I'm treading on eggshells here, I try my best not to be single minded about this. But regardless of how much I love the Z1Rs for their many great virtues, this one particular element occasionally sticks out to me.)

Here we go:
1) Gregory Porter / Holding on --> Porter's vocals when singing the words "holding on" in the refrain sound like there is some mean resonance thing going on;
2) The Alan Parsons Project / The Tell-Tale Heart --> the e-guitars panned hard to the left and right starting at 18 seconds into the song sound harsh and unnaturally colored to my ears.

I can provide further examples but they are just simply adding more to the same point.

Plus it may well be that because of differences in physical shape of head and ears this may not be a problem for many Z1R owners out there.

Anyway, 'nough said, let's go back and listen to some great music :)

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #3,244 of 9,634
On that note...

A few albums I think are an absolute delight to listen to with my Z1Rs specifically:
  • Symphonica - George Michael
  • O - Damien Rice

Any other suggestions anyone? :)

That's abxolutely spooky ! Damien Rice "O" just satarted playing.....brilliant album....& i was thinking earlier, that i've got to listen to Symphonica....George Michael, one of my favourite artists & definitely up there, with the greatest singers, of all time.

Jun 26, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #3,246 of 9,634
Absolutely, it is fine, and regardless of whether or not the cable makes an audible difference, the fact that your after market cable solves a problem from you, and probably looks darn nice as well, those are perfectly valid reasons so enjoy the Z1R and let us know what you think, but do give your brain a little time. As I said earlier, I liked the Z1R at first, but it took a few weeks before I absolutely loved them. Hopefully your experience is the same and the Z1R gives you that audio bliss we all seek.

I tried my Focal Clear balanced cable with the Z1R and think it is an improvement over stock Sony cable.

Jun 26, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #3,247 of 9,634
It looks like the MDR-Z1r is no longer available in UK. It used to be on Amazon uk and Sony never sold it directly.

Is it going to be replaced?

My Z1R's, received yesterday, were on Amazon U.K. ( 1 only, so decided this might be my last chance ?? ) Interestingly, they were dispatched from Germany. ( When there was no mention of this on their page. )

All i know, going into my first full day of listening, that these are without doubt the BEST headphones i've ever purchased / heard. :)

Jun 26, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #3,249 of 9,634
@Rob49

Glad I got a pair last year. The Z1R is gonna go down as a Sony Classic. Some people are going to have serious regrets not grabbing a pair whilst they can.

Yes, it looks like i just got in there ! I was put off by the price, could i justify that ?? I think they are a little overpriced, but if you consider you are going to use them for the rest of your life & they are like no other headphone ( assuming ? ) then they are worth it. Even after less than 12 hrs use, they are beyond my expectations.

Jun 26, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #3,250 of 9,634
Yes, it looks like i just got in there ! I was put off by the price, could i justify that ?? I think they are a little overpriced, but if you consider you are going to use them for the rest of your life & they are like no other headphone ( assuming ? ) then they are worth it. Even after less than 12 hrs use, they are beyond my expectations.
It’s hard to say they’re overpriced. They certainly aren’t the most expensive high end phones around yet have an excellent, unique sound and near perfect build quality.

Jun 26, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #3,251 of 9,634
My Z1R's, received yesterday, were on Amazon U.K. ( 1 only, so decided this might be my last chance ?? ) Interestingly, they were dispatched from Germany. ( When there was no mention of this on their page. )

All i know, going into my first full day of listening, that these are without doubt the BEST headphones i've ever purchased / heard. :)

Enjoy the bliss.

Were they sold and dispatched from Amazon UK?

I can’t find them on Amazon.co.uk today. Not even to pre-order

Jun 26, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #3,252 of 9,634
It’s hard to say they’re overpriced. They certainly aren’t the most expensive high end phones around yet have an excellent, unique sound and near perfect build quality.

Yes I wouldn’t call them overpriced but are costly but over the hours you use them in the end it works out cheap. They’ve probably so far cost me about 1 USD per hour I’ve played which in Denmark about equates to 2-3 cigarets and I certainly know what I’d rather spend that money on and I expect them to last me at least another 10 years and probably a lot longer

Jun 26, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #3,253 of 9,634
Enjoy the bliss.

Were they sold and dispatched from Amazon UK?

I can’t find them on Amazon.co.uk today. Not even to pre-order

No they are out of stock and don’t know if and when they’ll be back. I originally got mine as an Amazon UK Warehouse deal shipped from UK

Jun 26, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #3,254 of 9,634

I second this. I still feel it's been a real steal at the price. I personally find myself using it more often than Utopia (which is priced way higher) so ... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back