Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 10, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #2,281 of 9,640
just rang sony uk and yes the z1r is slowly being discontinued worldwide once all stocks are sold. that's why it's not on sony uk anymore. it has been replaced by the cheaper mdr-z7m2 is what they told me at a lower price and at least the same performance as z1r they said. i argued the z1r was superior in everyway but the sony rep insisted the new m2 was just as good and cheaper at £750 on sony uk site. those buying a z1r now still get 1 year warranty he said. the m2 can be bought cheaper away from the sony uk site. i'm disappointed by this but it's what i thought. i don't feel like paying over a grand for a headphone that's being phased out. unless it's a good idea to grab one in the near future.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #2,282 of 9,640
What do you mean phased out? You're coming across as very confused, this was Sony's plan all along. There's no point in them indefinitely making this headphone as there are only so many people in the world that want a high-end closed headphone like this. The price will only go up as stock runs out.

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #2,283 of 9,640
just rang sony uk and yes the z1r is slowly being discontinued worldwide once all stocks are sold. that's why it's not on sony uk anymore. it has been replaced by the cheaper mdr-z7m2 is what they told me at a lower price and at least the same performance as z1r they said. i argued the z1r was superior in everyway but the sony rep insisted the new m2 was just as good and cheaper at £750 on sony uk site. those buying a z1r now still get 1 year warranty he said. the m2 can be bought cheaper away from the sony uk site. i'm disappointed by this but it's what i thought. i don't feel like paying over a grand for a headphone that's being phased out. unless it's a good idea to grab one in the near future.
well now you know. this isn't unusual for sony.

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #2,284 of 9,640
Bytor:

Phased out is what they told me. no more are being made and only existing stock is what's left to be sold off. the only one who is confused seems to be you. the information given to me by sony is crystal clear and "phased out" only has one meaning. they are replacing the z1r with the m2 is what sony told me. if this was sony's plan all along now is the time that they are putting it into action.

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #2,286 of 9,640
So z7 m2 is the headphone to get?
Frequency response looks pretty much the same of z1r
Pads and driver look the same
Cups are much bigger in the z1

Addictedtoaudio in australia I si selling them 350au cheaper than z1r so very close in price

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #2,287 of 9,640
in uk less than half the price of z1r. 650 vs 1650.

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #2,289 of 9,640
As a MDR-Z1R owner, I do recognise it is not for everyone. Despite its mentioned "deficiencies", it is still very much the best phone to chill out.

For those like me that like the warmness of the Z1R, but prefer the mids to be more forward for vocals (the Z1R is pretty recessed in the mids),

a smoother treble (sometimes the 10kHz boost on the Z1R do get to me, cause I find myself having to turn the volume up to increase the presence of the mids for a more engaging representation),

while maintaining that same bass impact (better definition, I might say),

the D8000 is a great open (semi-open?) option (without sounding too spaced out like the HD800 series, and with just the right amount of intimacy). Perfect companion to the Z1R, especially if you want that same warmness, but something more engaging, less laidback and without sounding too shrill. Vocals on the D8000 are a beauty.

The made in Japan built quality is awesome, unlike the plastic burrs and parting lines you find on the Focals. Totally unacceptable for that price, feels like Beats next to the D8000. To me that French outfit are like the Renaults. Classic example.
Yikes, my Utopias are nothing like you describe. Flawless construction and finish. Burrs? not on mine. Not trying to call you out, but did you buy a pair with these issues or is this something you saw in a store?? Just curious where these impressions come from as i have had a couple of pairs with no issues.

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #2,290 of 9,640
Dang. Once they run out, i wouldn't be surprised at 3-5k$ for a NOS in few years

... and folklore in 20 years hehe :D
you should feel responsable if this happen!
actually many z1r owners here are pushing in this direction.. they hope to!
my answer is: i ll just don t buy as I dpon t buy a R10.. you know how many better headphone I can buy within a price of an old r10?!

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #2,291 of 9,640
Apologies for bringing the news here. i've been eyeing the z1r for a while to compliment my pm1. not sure now 2 discontinued flagships?ummm.....

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #2,292 of 9,640
you should feel responsable if this happen!
actually many z1r owners here are pushing in this direction.. they hope to!
my answer is: i ll just don t buy as I dpon t buy a R10.. you know how many better headphone I can buy within a price of an old r10?!

I certainly didn’t buy mine as an investment but to enjoy the hell out of them for many years to come

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #2,294 of 9,640
Apologies for bringing the news here. i've been eyeing the z1r for a while to compliment my pm1. not sure now 2 discontinued flagships?ummm.....

This is great news for Z1R owners, it will be a highly sought after headphone. If you think the the Z7Mk2 will be in the same league as the Z1R or that Sony will come out with a comparable replacement anytime soon you are kidding yourself.

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #2,295 of 9,640
Having owned both the MDR-Z7M2 and Z1R at the same time, I'm shocked to read Sony would call the MDR-Z7M2 just as good as the Z1R... They are very different. Not saying somebody wouldn't enjoy the Z7M2 - and if they haven't heard them side by side there's no chance to judge. But I ended up selling my Z7M2 as I found the Z1R much better. Much different experience - much wider sound space, and different handling of the bass and treble.

Whether the Z7M2 is a better value due to the lower cost is a different talk - but we're talking about two different headphones at two different price points. Just as I'd say you can't compare the 1AM2 to the Z7M2.

If I had to mention a cheaper headset that reminded me of the Z1R sound it would be the Sennheiser HD 660S running balanced with the Sony walkman. Some might laugh or call me crazy - but that would be a headset I'd choose to bring along if I didn't want to carry the Z1R. I know they are open (compared to closed with the Sony's).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back