Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 3, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #2,101 of 9,634
I can understand that level of hyperbole if you're talking about a DAC upgrade or something. But for a headphone cable? I'm sorry but I can't agree with you there, that reeks of sales bias which this topic is not the place for. I do completely agree with your previous post though on cables and synergies. I previously had paired the Z1R with the Mojo and found the stock cable to be a great match as the highs are a bit rounded off with the Mojo. When I got a Hugo 2 though the stock cable was a little bright.

So because you don’t agree the rest of us must be wrong and are not allowed to do it and must obey your position ?

Oct 3, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #2,103 of 9,634
Have you considered buying a tube amp to alleviate your GAS? I never experienced a tangible audible difference when replacing cables, but a 300B tube amp was a good experience. Not sure how you define bite, but a 300B amp is renowned for nice mids, and mine gives amazing space to female vocals.
It's easy to replicate the Z1R fatiguing treble with a Trap High Hat; I have a Digitone (w/ HP out) and I can cause the the issue (fatiguing treble) with a press of a button, but passing it through my tube amps reduces the fatigue... still connect the Z1R directly to the Digitone for convenience though.

I also built a Neil Pass Class A amp, and that sounds amazingly smooth, which has ignited a passion for Class A amps and I think it's part of the tube magic (they're also Class A).

I tend to avoid tube amps. I am a solid state sort of person. I don't like my music sounding too fluid and smooth.

But appreciate your recommendations. And yes, you are right I have a Gas issue.

Oct 4, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #2,104 of 9,634
But the reality is there is no "best" sounding cable. The most they can do is change the sound signature in very subtle ways. I find the stock cable to have the best look and feel. It is lightweight, very pliable, and has next to no microphonics. I would still be using it if didn't accentuate the top end a bit too much with the Hugo 2 for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 4, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #2,106 of 9,634
Cheers! Let's kick things off with music that extols Z1R's virtues. I will nominate Bob Reynolds' (tenor saxophonist) album Hindsight. It's available on major streaming services including Tidal. I'm continually expanding my music library, so any recommendations are welcome.

Give this a trial if you're into Electronic, rocks on Z1R. Available on Tidal. Artist; Younger Brother

youngerbrother.JPG

Oct 4, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #2,108 of 9,634
It all goes with the territory here. It’s a place to learn, and inside of every post is some education. We all can agree that cables to a point have an effect on the ZR1. In reference to most of Head-Fi; just that fact makes us close brothers.

Classrooms were never always perfectly pleasant. Science in general has been plagued with emotional talks. In fact whenever a new idea is brought forward, it’s always met with confrontations. Most of the learning which takes place at Head-Fi is folks changing what they thought was correct to a new understanding simply by being humble and reading. None of us know it all.

Unfortunately audio cables in a system is a very personal thing. It’s difficult to even know what the results could be. And strangely it seems each person tends to perceive the changes in a profoundly personal way.

Due to this phenomenon arguments often arise, simply due to different perception. Also everyone has a slighly different system which can affect the tone outcome.

The best advice is to try stuff for yourself and let others have their respected opinions. The great part of it all is the bounty of information and products available today. You can only imagine what it was like to only read magazines and personal letters about audio in the 1970s.

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #2,111 of 9,634
Hi Guys, i recently bought the z1r. Does anyone have any experience with the MUC-B20BL1 Kimber cable? it seems like there is a new version with the same connections. are there any difference? Thanks

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #2,112 of 9,634
Thats the older cable (came with Z7M1), a bit out of date jack.

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #2,113 of 9,634
Hi Guys, i recently bought the z1r. Does anyone have any experience with the MUC-B20BL1 Kimber cable? it seems like there is a new version with the same connections. are there any difference? Thanks

I'm using this dual 3.5mm plug balanced cable to connect the MDR-Z1R into the PHA-3. The newer version is a single 4.4mm plug balanced solution for use with the newer Sony products that come with this jack like the NW-WM1 and others.

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #2,114 of 9,634
I'm using this dual 3.5mm plug balanced cable to connect the MDR-Z1R into the PHA-3. The newer version is a single 4.4mm plug balanced solution for use with the newer Sony products that come with this jack like the NW-WM1 and others.

That’s the thing. His original question could only be answered by someone who has the 4.4mm Pentaconn Kimber and this 3.5mm X2 Kimber running side by side with the TA amp and ZR1 headphone. But......even if they were identical in sound quality, he has the PHA-3; which makes the question somewhat riddled?

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #2,115 of 9,634
That’s the thing. His original question could only be answered by someone who has the 4.4mm Pentaconn Kimber and this 3.5mm X2 Kimber running side by side with the TA amp and ZR1 headphone. But......even if they were identical in sound quality, he has the PHA-3; which makes the question somewhat riddled?

thats why i asked. I can always buy the TA amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back