Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 10, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #2,011 of 9,652
I just sold mine to a friend and gave him a good deal. I should have listed it here first. I just didn't like the z1r with the Hugo 2. I know a lot of people like that combo, but I didn't like it at all. I might sell the Hugo 2 too. But I want to try it with the trio and u12t as I'm getting it on the tour this week and see if I like it with any of those two items. For now the only full sized headphones I'm keeping are the Focal Clears. I am sorta interested in the Mr Speakers Aeon Open or Hifiman HEXv2 or Ananda as my change of pace headphones from the Clears. The z1r is a very well made headphone, but the sound signature is a love it or hate it deal. Well I didn't hate it, but I just didn't love it enough to want to keep it around.
You should have sold the Hugo2.

Sep 10, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #2,012 of 9,652
You should have sold the Hugo2.

I would have and I still might, but I knew I was getting the 64 audio u12t and trio on tour this week and didn't have another good dac and amp to use to test them with. I still think that the z1r is too slow for me. On certain types of music I don't run into that problem, but I listen to a lot of music with lots of punchy bass and the z1r doesn't handle it as well as I would like.

Sep 10, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #2,013 of 9,652
I would have and I still might, but I knew I was getting the 64 audio u12t and trio on tour this week and didn't have another good dac and amp to use to test them with. I still think that the z1r is too slow for me. On certain types of music I don't run into that problem, but I listen to a lot of music with lots of punchy bass and the z1r doesn't handle it as well as I would like.
Are you using the stock cable? Balanced or SE?

If you want the bass, you need an all copper cable.

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #2,014 of 9,652
Doing some more listening recently, it really comes down to the type of music I'm playing.

The z1r is adding an airy sheen to the mid-highs that adds presence & sweetness.
Older recordings or more "audiophile" recordings with acoustic instruments and more dynamics & space/less busy high ends sound good,
while modern rock and edm usually try to maximize loudness by pumping the highs.
Combine that with the general slower smoother response of the z1rs, & it's not a great match.
For edm, the digital claps/hihats/big reverbs/high end fx get dense & hazy such that transparency is compromised. Open planars are probably more ideal.

On the other hand, Fleetwood Mac and Norah Jones are great on the z1r, as are classic rock/funk drums, especially snares & toms.

Sep 10, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #2,015 of 9,652
Are you using the stock cable? Balanced or SE?

If you want the bass, you need an all copper cable.

Stock cable. Selling it to friend resulted a net $100 loss. Buying a cable and it not working out would have been a big loss or I'd have to get the cable changed to another type as none of my other headphones use the same connectors. Sony is really bad at using their own connectors especially on iems

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #2,016 of 9,652
What's bad about Sony's preferred connectors? It's a normal dual 3.5mm and the IEMs use MMCX, nothing's too hard to adapt on those.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #2,017 of 9,652
So I haven't been active on the forums here for about 6 years, recently got the bug to buy a closed headphone... After building myself a new stereo listening room. Decided after reading a bunch of the forums about the MDR-Z1R, pulled the trigger. Running on a PC > Bifrost (supposed to be my PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that is on different setup right now) > Leben CS300XS. My first impressions are I love the bass... the sound is sweet, I do need to let them burn in more. I'd like to say thanks to this forum, so far this is everything I am looking for in a can. I am interested if people have a recommendation for these cans, a DAP that will play Tidal in offline mode?

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #2,018 of 9,652
What's bad about Sony's preferred connectors? It's a normal dual 3.5mm and the IEMs use MMCX, nothing's too hard to adapt on those.

What other headphones use dual 3.5mm connectors? I haven't come across any in the ones that I've ever checked out. Not too many cable makers make cables for the Z1r. Wagnus said they couldn't do it when I was ordering cables for my IEMs. EX1000 and Z5 have their own connectors that is unique to sony.

Sep 12, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #2,019 of 9,652
What other headphones use dual 3.5mm connectors? I haven't come across any in the ones that I've ever checked out. Not too many cable makers make cables for the Z1r. Wagnus said they couldn't do it when I was ordering cables for my IEMs. EX1000 and Z5 have their own connectors that is unique to sony.
What they cannot do is the screw on connector. I have two non Sony cables which fit my Z7's and the Z1R. Both have standard 3.5mm connectors on the headphone side. One from ForzaAudioWorks one from Beyerdynamic.

Sep 12, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #2,020 of 9,652

There are many phones that use dual 3.5 mm (it’s probably the closest to a standard for full size phone removeable cables) and the Z5 use standard mmcx connectors as does most if not all recent Sony iems. I’ve never heard of any cable manufacturers that couldn’t make cables using either

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #2,021 of 9,652
There are many phones that use dual 3.5 mm (it’s probably the closest to a standard for full size phone removeable cables) and the Z5 use standard mmcx connectors as does most if not all recent Sony iems. I’ve never heard of any cable manufacturers that couldn’t make cables using either

If you own the Z5 as your sig says then you should know that it uses a locking connector. I haven't come across a 3.5mm connector ever on any headphone I've owned ever. I'd like to know which headphones use these almost standard connectors. I've come across the hd650, mini 4 pin, and a few other types, but never before I've had anything with a 3.5mm connector before the z1r.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #2,022 of 9,652
If you own the Z5 as your sig says then you should know that it uses a locking connector. I haven't come across a 3.5mm connector ever on any headphone I've owned ever. I'd like to know which headphones use these almost standard connectors. I've come across the hd650, mini 4 pin, and a few other types, but never before I've had anything with a 3.5mm connector before the z1r.

As far as I’m aware the mmcx connector on my cable is standard and not locking but I have not tried to remove it.

The Beyerdynamic T1 (and others), Fischer Audio FA-003 (and all the oem variants), Dennon D7200, some Ultrasones and many others use 2 x 3.5mm connectors on their removeable cables. Sony’s own cables and the Axios cables have a screw on jacket but that is not required

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #2,023 of 9,652
As far as I’m aware the mmcx connector on my cable is standard and not locking.

The Fischer Audio FA-003 (and all the oem variants), Dennon D7200, some Ultrasones and many others use 2 x 3.5mm connectors on their removeable cables. Sony’s own cables and the Axios cables have a screw on jacket but that is not required

This is correct. I have a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable on my Z1R and it doesn't have a screw on jacket but stays in place just fine.

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #2,024 of 9,652
As far as I’m aware the mmcx connector on my cable is standard and not locking but I have not tried to remove it.

The Beyerdynamic T1 (and others), Fischer Audio FA-003 (and all the oem variants), Dennon D7200, some Ultrasones and many others use 2 x 3.5mm connectors on their removeable cables. Sony’s own cables and the Axios cables have a screw on jacket but that is not required

The stock z5 cable connector should not spin. If you attached a different cable then it will spin unless you get your cable maker to use the special sony xba locking connector. It's a terrible connector and breaks easily.

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #2,025 of 9,652
The stock z5 cable connector should not spin. If you attached a different cable then it will spin unless you get your cable maker to use the special sony xba locking connector. It's a terrible connector and breaks easily.

My cable is the Sony Kimber and it spins, I could never live with the moulded ear hooks on the stock cable (or any kind of memory wire)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back