Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 12, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #2,026 of 9,645
Using the furutech 3.5mm for my Z1R and it lock just fine
DSC_0020.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG

Sep 12, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #2,028 of 9,645
Sep 12, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #2,029 of 9,645
If you own the Z5 as your sig says then you should know that it uses a locking connector. I haven't come across a 3.5mm connector ever on any headphone I've owned ever. I'd like to know which headphones use these almost standard connectors. I've come across the hd650, mini 4 pin, and a few other types, but never before I've had anything with a 3.5mm connector before the z1r.

Focal Clear and the new Denon uses dual 3.5mm.

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #2,030 of 9,645
So I haven't been active on the forums here for about 6 years, recently got the bug to buy a closed headphone... After building myself a new stereo listening room. Decided after reading a bunch of the forums about the MDR-Z1R, pulled the trigger. Running on a PC > Bifrost (supposed to be my PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that is on different setup right now) > Leben CS300XS. My first impressions are I love the bass... the sound is sweet, I do need to let them burn in more. I'd like to say thanks to this forum, so far this is everything I am looking for in a can. I am interested if people have a recommendation for these cans, a DAP that will play Tidal in offline mode?
I dont have a DAP but I use the Dragonfly Red connected to my iPhone with a CCK and it sounds really good and very convenient. Search in in the thread and you will find all kinds of different DAP recommendations. The good think is the Z1R is not that hard to drive. Enjoy, welcome back.

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #2,032 of 9,645
May I ask if you can use the Focal Clear cables with the Sony MDRZ1R?

Yes.
The Sony is actually better because while they have the screw lock mechanism it's not required and the jack is not recessed like the Focal Clear or the Denon. So the reverse is that I can't use Sony cables with my Focal because the jack is recessed and the opening is kind of small.

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #2,033 of 9,645
Yes.
The Sony is actually better because while they have the screw lock mechanism it's not required and the jack is not recessed like the Focal Clear or the Denon. So the reverse is that I can't use Sony cables with my Focal because the jack is recessed and the opening is kind of small.

Thank you. I am in the UK and there is no way we can buy that special kimber cable, so I was wondering if my Focal Clear cable sounds any better than the standard Sony cables included?

If so I will not bother risking buying a Kimber cable on ebay which might not be genuine and no warranty if it breaks.

My brother is borrowing my Sony Z1R, which is why I ask as otherwise I would try myself.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #2,034 of 9,645
Thank you. I am in the UK and there is no way we can buy that special kimber cable, so I was wondering if my Focal Clear cable sounds any better than the standard Sony cables included?

If so I will not bother risking buying a Kimber cable on ebay which might not be genuine and no warranty if it breaks.

My brother is borrowing my Sony Z1R, which is why I ask as otherwise I would try myself.

You can’t simply buy this off Amazon.com? Just had friends buy a kitchen appliance from Amazon.com and had it sent to a remote island in Indonesia. Surly you can order this cable and have it this week?

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUC-B20SB1-SONY-Headphone-cable/dp/B01LRR04F0

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #2,035 of 9,645
double post

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #2,036 of 9,645
You can’t simply buy this off Amazon.com? Just had friends buy a kitchen appliance from Amazon.com and had it sent to a remote island in Indonesia. Surly you can order this cable and have it this week?

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUC-B20SB1-SONY-Headphone-cable/dp/B01LRR04F0

Good point.

I have never purchased from Amazon USA. I thought there is some additional tax or import charges?
Also, wondering if it is damaged who do I return to.

I will call Amazon UK and ask these questions.

Sep 13, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #2,037 of 9,645
Good point.

I have never purchased from Amazon USA. I thought there is some additional tax or import charges?
Also, wondering if it is damaged who do I return to.

I will call Amazon UK and ask these questions.

Honestly, it will be money well spent what ever it ends up costing (with-in reason). The cable takes the Z1R and Z7 to a slightly different place than stock cables. Smoother midrange, better sparkle and a significant improvement in bass control. All the above simply gets perceived as new clarity. It’s interesting too as we have never had a member respond that the cable didn't offer a significant improvement over stock cables? It’s rare in the cable world to have such phenomenon.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #2,038 of 9,645
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #2,039 of 9,645
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #2,040 of 9,645
It says it does not ship to Germany, so probably also not to the UK. Got mine from Ebay. It is legit.

He should just buy from your EBay seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back