Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 16, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #1,681 of 9,652
Not to my knowledge, it sounded perfect but once I notice a defect, I can’t stop thinking about it haha
If you bought from Amazon, then it is probably the same unit over and over again, lol.

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #1,683 of 9,652
Haha no, I bought it direct from an authorized Sony dealer Razordogaudio.
Yea, a dent in that outer form cannot be ignored at all. Have them on my head right now.

Jun 17, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #1,685 of 9,652
Pretty excited, just ordered a Z1R and TA-ZH1ES to go with my WM1A! Also have a Sony cradle coming. Would a 20ft long balanced cable for the z1r reduce sound quality? I would need a cable that long to relax in my recliner while listining.

Congratulations!! It’s an incredible combo, you will love it. Maybe place the amp closer to you if possible? Longer power cables may not affect audio quality as much as long headphone cables. Many folks (myself included) recommend the Song Kimber Kable (Pentaconn).

Jun 17, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #1,686 of 9,652
Yes it would be desirable to have the amp and dap next to me but isn't really practical with my current situation. May be able to rearrange things later but will have to get by with long headphone cable for the time being.

Jun 17, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #1,687 of 9,652
Yes it would be desirable to have the amp and dap next to me but isn't really practical with my current situation. May be able to rearrange things later but will have to get by with long headphone cable for the time being.
The advantageof balanced connections is that the signal is clean even on long distance connections. So yes 20 foot is ok.

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,688 of 9,652
The advantageof balanced connections is that the signal is clean even on long distance connections. So yes 20 foot is ok.

I think that is more the case with balanced interconnects where there is circuitury in the receiving end to sum out line generated noice

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,689 of 9,652
I think that is more the case with balanced interconnects where there is circuitury in the receiving end to sum out line generated noice
And I thought that this is what happens in our use case too. Correct me if you like, would be interesting to know.

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #1,690 of 9,652
And I thought that this is what happens in our use case too. Correct me if you like, would be interesting to know.

To my knowledge what happens in balanced cables between devices is that the signal is is split and inverted at the source and send as a plus and a minus signal and then the receiver sums the signal together and eliminates the difference between them which is line induced noice and distortion to reconstruct the original signal. In headphones the signal is also split and inverted and send as plus and minus but at the headphone end there is nothing that process the signal, it has just produced a stronger signal by doubling the voltage swing. The other benefit for headphones is that the common ground has been eliminated preventing signal bleed between left and right.

Jun 18, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #1,691 of 9,652
I purchased the Sennheiser HD 800S some time ago and while I enjoy them very much, I do miss the warmth of my Z7s at times.

So, if there's anyone here that owns both the Z7 and Z1R how much of an improvement of sound quality could I expect?
I'd hate to blow $2k just to find out that the Z7s are already 95% there, and are they better in terms of comfort as well?

Jun 18, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #1,692 of 9,652
I purchased the Sennheiser HD 800S some time ago and while I enjoy them very much, I do miss the warmth of my Z7s at times.

So, if there's anyone here that owns both the Z7 and Z1R how much of an improvement of sound quality could I expect?
I'd hate to blow $2k just to find out that the Z7s are already 95% there, and are they better in terms of comfort as well?

I had both and A B tested them together with the same equipment. They are very different, not anywhere close to the 95% you mentioned. After listening to the Z1R actually i could not listen anymore to the Z7 and sold them. I can not put the finger on the sound description differences but it just can not be compared.

Jun 18, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #1,693 of 9,652
I had both and A B tested them together with the same equipment. They are very different, not anywhere close to the 95% you mentioned. After listening to the Z1R actually i could not listen anymore to the Z7 and sold them. I can not put the finger on the sound description differences but it just can not be compared.
I still own both and like both. I am not that critical obviously. The Z7 is already a very good headphone. It connects to the heart of the music like only the Z1R can do. If you don't know the Z1R you can be very happy longterm with the Z7's. Comfort is completely equal.

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #1,694 of 9,652
i bought Schiit Valhalla 2 for my Sennheiser HD 600. i didnt like it a lot because of upper mid and lower treble performance. I was about to return it but thought to try out Z1R in Low gain and to my surprise really liked the performance and synergy so far. In Low gain output impedance of Valhalla 2 is 3.5 only which i hope is fine as i don't see any noise or bloated Bass. it gives lot of body to Mid range and Treble gets better with Z1R. Anyone else enjoying this synergy. Please let me know. Also do let me know if you see any issue with using it with Valhalla 2 in Low gain.

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #1,695 of 9,652
Any Ragnarok owners? I just bought a used one, plugged the Z1R to the balance out and single ended and even at zero volume I can still hear the music. I guess this thing is really powerful, I mean the phones sounds really nice, I am using them between 11 and 12 at the lowest setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back