Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Feb 10, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #1,381 of 9,634
I know it's the 'listening impressions' thread, but could someone please post the LxWxH dimensions of the Z1R outer box? (Need to confirm fit in a suitcase.)
31x31x16cm I hope you don't need to smuggle it.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #1,382 of 9,634
31x31x16cm I hope you don't need to smuggle it.

Thank you!!

Really? That's not as big as I thought. Actually it would be my wife bringing it back from Japan this June. We go every 2-3 years to visit family, travel, eat, buy gadgets, etc. This year it's just my wife and daughter going though. Bought the kid a $5k violin last summer after 7 years of renting, and replaced the carpeting in our house with bamboo. And these pockets are only so deep.

Still just thinking about it. mdr-1am2 would save me $1200+. 0_0

Anyway, I do think that will fit. It'll dominate one of the suitcases, but there'll be four of them so that's ok.

This picture is very deceptive.
9453164.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #1,384 of 9,634
Thank you!!

Really? That's not as big as I thought. Actually it would be my wife bringing it back from Japan this June. We go every 2-3 years to visit family, travel, eat, buy gadgets, etc. This year it's just my wife and daughter going though. Bought the kid a $5k violin last summer after 7 years of renting, and replaced the carpeting in our house with bamboo. And these pockets are only so deep.

Still just thinking about it. mdr-1am2 would save me $1200+. 0_0

Anyway, I do think that will fit. It'll dominate one of the suitcases, but there'll be four of them so that's ok.

This picture is very deceptive.
9453164.jpg
In the picture it is a very small person or a kid holding the box, I guess.

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #1,385 of 9,634
If you really want to try to pass customs wear them. However I do not condone that and it is not worth the trouble you will be in. I am not saying you were going to but I am just pointing out to anyone and everyone doing such kinds of things is not in your best interest. I hear Federal prison pretty much sucks. It is not what you might think and certainly not worth going to. Also it is nowhere near as big as that picture. Probably just shy of a cubic foot.

Meanwhile I still love these. The only headphone by my bed and that says a lot. Only my top choice at the time makes it to that location. I wish you guy's could hear it with the hot-rodded Cullen. compared to even the 750U it is much better with these. that was actually a very serious amp.

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #1,386 of 9,634
If you really want to try to pass customs wear them. However I do not condone that and it is not worth the trouble you will be in. I am not saying you were going to but I am just pointing out to anyone and everyone doing such kinds of things is not in your best interest. I hear Federal prison pretty much sucks. It is not what you might think and certainly not worth going to. Also it is nowhere near as big as that picture. Probably just shy of a cubic foot.

Meanwhile I still love these. The only headphone by my bed and that says a lot. Only my top choice at the time makes it to that location. I wish you guy's could hear it with the hot-rodded Cullen. compared to even the 750U it is much better with these. that was actually a very serious amp.

Where did you get the idea we want to 'pass customs?' I just needed to make sure the package fits inside one of the suitcases she'll be using. It has to be the whole, unopened box, because it will be purchased duty free (probably at Bic Camera) and that means it will be sealed up. We always complete that customs form and declare properly, and there's an $800 per person exemption so it's not like it would be so horrible to pay duty on the remainder anyway, but in our experience they don't care about families coming home from vacation with souvenirs and toys. They're looking for people bringing in undeclared commercial quantities of high value items (diamonds, high-end tech) and contraband/drugs. I've gone and returned from Japan 6 times since 2003, declared everything we bought that was coming home with us, and every time they say, "Welcome home." and call for the next party to step up. I've never tried to avoid anything going through customs, but I'm sure not gonna stand there and stomp my feet till they take my money either. : P

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #1,387 of 9,634
I said specifically not you in particular but a warning to anyone. Your experience is mine as well. They are very nice and just let you go. On the other hand if someone is clearly breaking the law they will not be very nice to them at all. They are easy going on everyday average people. Like you said it is those that are breaking the law that get into trouble and rightfully so. One thing is funny though, I could see people trying to get in high dollar tech goods but Japan are not exactly known for their dope :) however certain countries everyone is under scrutiny obviously. The only place like that I see is legit to go is Mexico though. However even though they border us coming from mexico with a lot of luggage is not the same treatment as Japan. Trust me I know. Anyhow that is a great way to get them. Enjoy Japan and come home with something to further enjoy. Anyone can just buy the WW2 but I do not recommend that either. Legal but no warranty plus supporting some shady characters. They may not be breaking any laws but not always the nicest guy's. It is fulfilled by Amazon though so up to you. Something breaks in Two day's game over. I too enjoy to bring back stuff that is both legit and to my liking. If you are going somewhere outside the US it is always nice to get something you otherwise couldn't. Not just the money but things you simply cannot obtain here.
It was not a warning to you but I was just throwing it out there in general. One stupid choice could ruin ones life. That is the only reason I brought it up. Not about you. Since we are just discussing stuff I thought it was a worthwhile warning.

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #1,388 of 9,634
Sony honored my warranty and fixed my broken right driver by replacing it, and they did it quickly and it was really awesome. And now that I have them back, I realise how much I've missed them. Best headphones I've ever owned. I love being able to turn them up as loud as I want without them distorting, unlike my Shure SRH-1540 which sound awful loud. They sound so pretty, warm and perfect. And given my good customer service experience, I recommend them now more than ever.

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #1,389 of 9,634
I said specifically not you....

Gotcha. Sorry I got my britches in a bunch. You're right about customs taking a different attitude depending on where you've been. A co-worker of mine goes to the Caribbean every year for her vacation and her s**t just gets flat turned out about every time coming home. She also says its no wonder, considering she can barely make it out of the airport every time she flies into Punta Cana before someone tries to sell her some weed lol.

Sony honored my warranty and fixed my broken right driver by replacing it, and they did it quickly and it was really awesome. And now that I have them back, I realise how much I've missed them. Best headphones I've ever owned. I love being able to turn them up as loud as I want without them distorting, unlike my Shure SRH-1540 which sound awful loud. They sound so pretty, warm and perfect. And given my good customer service experience, I recommend them now more than ever.

That's great. Actually I'd imagine Sony probably has already figured out there's a decent likelihood that any customer willing to buy headphones that cost as much as the Z1R will likely also be active in an online audiophile community, so good service is good business.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #1,390 of 9,634
Yesterday I went to work with the WM1A as usual, but with two headphones from my selection that did not match my monday mood. All my music sounded off somehow. It did not touch me, if you know what I mean. Came home and put first the Z7 then the Z1R on. That was what I missed all day. Both cans have the magical ability to connect me with my music. I am no listener, I am the music.
Magic, I love it.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #1,392 of 9,634
I am glad many share my sentiments regarding these. I feel these are spectacular and I am kind of an authority on audio. Not to blow my own horn, I am just saying I know when something is destined to be a classic. I have said they are like Grado though in the regard that people may just love these or hate them. I have yet to find anyone that loves/hates them "half way". I still strongly feel the right cable, most likely silver makes more difference on these than a lot of other phones. Most phones I would say 2-10%. These I feel it makes a 15%+ difference. they really respond to it imo but others have realized this as well. you do not have to spend a fortune either. If you really like these and do not have a cable already I think you will be very pleased with it. I do understand about budgets and you can most certainly enjoy them without it perhaps in that case just something to look forward to. I have tried different geometries and that does not make a huge difference as does simply the silver imo.

The only thing I wish is that they had put it at a higher Yen as most of their flagships thus incorporating some sort of fancy outer cups. not a big deal though. the metal is nice in it's own respect. they are built very well. They make Grado look like tinker toys and I would say better than hd800 as well as it creaks and just feel cheap to me. I think the direct competitor of these is the Utopia even though it is more costly and has a different sound but I think people might be cross shopping these. If they are cross shopping the Elear to these they probably have their sights set to low in respect to the Sony imo. The sony was $2,999.99 when it came out but people discounted them or they lowered the price. Quite frankly I am sure they could sell these for $4,000 but luckily are not.

I much prefer them to previous flagships, R10 bass light and bass heavy plus 010. I think overall they are better built too. just not quite as fancy looking but it is the sound that matters. in that arena they excel. This headphone was so embraced by myself that in an unprecedented move for myself I purchased 3 backups for a total of 4! I do not wish to be without these just in case. All I can say is that if they are your kind of sound these are really something. They will play fine out of a DAP but with a high end dac and amp they get 50x better. as with the cable these scale up like nothing I have seen. the fact they even sound decent with a Dap few headphones in this class can boast. Sony really did it this time, imo. Of course it does not matter but even their box speaks to what you are about to uncover inside. high class right here. The sound is sublime IMO. of course YMMV. there will still be those that hate them which is entirely their prerogative.

Rhull, I would try to get something other than the Sony/Kimber if you can. It is okay, certainly better than most stock cords but you can do much better too. Just a suggestion. since you do have some good electronics. As I have said I personally prefer them with SS and SE but that is only my feeling and does not have to be anyone else's. Depends on what sound you wish to achieve. currently running from a QX-5 Twenty to a P750U. a lot of money but sounds like it is worth it IMO. I fully understand not everyone can do that which is fine as well.

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #1,393 of 9,634
Yesterday I went to work with the WM1A as usual, but with two headphones from my selection that did not match my monday mood. All my music sounded off somehow. It did not touch me, if you know what I mean. Came home and put first the Z7 then the Z1R on. That was what I missed all day. Both cans have the magical ability to connect me with my music. I am no listener, I am the music.
Magic, I love it.
Is there a big difference in sq between Z7 and Z1R? Planning to get the Z7 instead as the price for Z1r is too steep for me, planning to pair it with WM1A and Jotunheim. Thanks.

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #1,394 of 9,634
The Z7 is very close to the Z1R. Sound wise build wise and comfort wise. If you don't know the Z1R, the Z7 is all you ever need. Then later out of curiosity you might want to check on the Z1R too. For the Z7 you only need to get the correct balanced cables to connect to the WM1A and the Jotunheim. Again, the Z7 is already epic to me.

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #1,395 of 9,634
The Z1R is built for a bigger sound, more details and more spacious, but is close to the Z7 in characteristics. So maybe in many songs they do not distinguish, and the Z7 could be smoother because it doesn't have that metal dome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back