Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 31, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #1,321 of 9,634
The Z1R is $1399.00? I would be very worried about that. If your shoe smells like you stepped in dog poop you probably did. Does not even say Z7 or Z1R. Shady. I hate scammers come in here.

The HD800S all the way up to the HE1 stopping along the way at the SR009 ETC. are not better headphones! They are just different. The Sony is a flagship in every sense of the word. It has nothing to do with the back. It is a very special headphone like no other in it's own right. Sure, all those headphones are more technical and exacting. I guess the strongest thing I can say is the Z1R is what I had always hoped a Grado flagship would be. My PS2KE was destroyed. I can afford whatever but I decided not to replace them and get the Sony. Now, I can care less about the Grado. It is like that lovely Grado sound with your very own lion tamer included no extra charge! It is just so round and liquid and just wholesome goodness. It stands alone. So in that respect it is worth any price. If you are looking for a different kind of headphone, no problem these just are not your cup of tea. I will put these at the top of any list with the caveat that they are just something completely different. Leaving behind all that technicality and such as a trade off. I feel if you really want to enjoy music and not pick it apart the train stops here. These are the highest end headphones in the land but based on the merit of having something very different. Not the usual parameters. In that case they fail badly. It all depends what you are looking for. If you happen to be looking for these they are nothing to sneeze at.

Now I like a cable on them with heavy AG. The reason is it takes some of the abundant bass and turns it into somewhat lacking treble. I am using an Ayre QX-5 Twenty into a Cullen GCHA with further Cullen modifications, via an Odin2 cable and power cables. Now with those electronics I will go in the other room and put them up against the HE1. They are completely different and you could say obviously the HE1 walk all over the Sony. If you are interested in appreciating what unusual traits the Sony have to offer I do not think you would be so quick to say that. Yes, the HE1 is a $65,000USD headphone. However in it's current configuration so is my Z1R quite frankly. Since you do need an amp and dac ETC. Another beauty of them is they are fine out of a DAP, but bring them up to speed with stuff like this and they just scale right up. It is not like they got better or changed character, they just did much more of what they do. That "what they do" is what shall allow me to put them up against anything. So long as I understand they are going to be a completely different experience. If you want to have a microscope into the music these are absolutely not for you. If you can appreciate just enjoying the music perhaps for some I would look no further. Yes, I adore them but I think I have been very honest explaining the pros and cons people may perceive. I also went so far as to say these most certainly are not for everyone. It all depends what you are looking for but these stand alone in some sort of uniqueness I cannot even explain. That being said I am reasonably sure these will appeal to a much smaller crowd than headphones with more of what people expect in sky's the limit category. Oh, I would place them in that category for sure but for very different reasons than most people would be expecting. On that note, quite frankly I can now feel exactly why Tyll hated them so much. They are most certainly an acquired taste. Unless like me, you dreamed of just such a beast. Finally, it was Sony that answered my calling.

Jan 31, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #1,322 of 9,634
The Z1R is $1399.00? I would be very worried about that. If your shoe smells like you stepped in dog poop you probably did. Does not even say Z7 or Z1R. Shady. I hate scammers come in here.

The HD800S all the way up to the HE1 stopping along the way at the SR009 ETC. are not better headphones! They are just different. The Sony is a flagship in every sense of the word. It has nothing to do with the back. It is a very special headphone like no other in it's own right. Sure, all those headphones are more technical and exacting. I guess the strongest thing I can say is the Z1R is what I had always hoped a Grado flagship would be. My PS2KE was destroyed. I can afford whatever but I decided not to replace them and get the Sony. Now, I can care less about the Grado. It is like that lovely Grado sound with your very own lion tamer included no extra charge! It is just so round and liquid and just wholesome goodness. It stands alone. So in that respect it is worth any price. If you are looking for a different kind of headphone, no problem these just are not your cup of tea. I will put these at the top of any list with the caveat that they are just something completely different. Leaving behind all that technicality and such as a trade off. I feel if you really want to enjoy music and not pick it apart the train stops here. These are the highest end headphones in the land but based on the merit of having something very different. Not the usual parameters. In that case they fail badly. It all depends what you are looking for. If you happen to be looking for these they are nothing to sneeze at.

Now I like a cable on them with heavy AG. The reason is it takes some of the abundant bass and turns it into somewhat lacking treble. I am using an Ayre QX-5 Twenty into a Cullen GCHA with further Cullen modifications, via an Odin2 cable and power cables. Now with those electronics I will go in the other room and put them up against the HE1. They are completely different and you could say obviously the HE1 walk all over the Sony. If you are interested in appreciating what unusual traits the Sony have to offer I do not think you would be so quick to say that. Yes, the HE1 is a $65,000USD headphone. However in it's current configuration so is my Z1R quite frankly. Since you do need an amp and dac ETC. Another beauty of them is they are fine out of a DAP, but bring them up to speed with stuff like this and they just scale right up. It is not like they got better or changed character, they just did much more of what they do. That "what they do" is what shall allow me to put them up against anything. So long as I understand they are going to be a completely different experience. If you want to have a microscope into the music these are absolutely not for you. If you can appreciate just enjoying the music perhaps for some I would look no further. Yes, I adore them but I think I have been very honest explaining the pros and cons people may perceive. I also went so far as to say these most certainly are not for everyone. It all depends what you are looking for but these stand alone in some sort of uniqueness I cannot even explain. That being said I am reasonably sure these will appeal to a much smaller crowd than headphones with more of what people expect in sky's the limit category. Oh, I would place them in that category for sure but for very different reasons than most people would be expecting. On that note, quite frankly I can now feel exactly why Tyll hated them so much. They are most certainly an acquired taste. Unless like me, you dreamed of just such a beast. Finally, it was Sony that answered my calling.
They are no scammers, they are site sponsors and they are official retailers for the Sony high end stuff.

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #1,323 of 9,634
Just got a pair from a fellow Head-Fier on Monday night and went straight for my Sony WM1A...

A bit bassier than I am usually fond of...but like others have said, there is something about this can. Couldn't stop listening for the last 2 nights.

I'm not one for all the technical terminology and details, so I'll just say the Z1R makes music sound so alive. And it's incredibly comfortable, something I am unfortunately not accustomed to up to this point with most of the headphones I've owned. I was trying to choose between these and the Focal Clear (I previously owned the Elear and enjoyed them), and if it wasn't for the sale listing I bumped into here on Head-Fi, would probably have gone with the Clear. I suppose I am glad I did not. The Z1R is a keeper!

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #1,324 of 9,634
They are no scammers, they are site sponsors and they are official retailers for the Sony high end stuff.

Thanks. We appreciated your backing us up. He likely hasn’t paid any attention to that fact that TSAV was the US launch partner on the Sony ES Products. These deals are legit and before we published the announcement we confirmed with Sony that these sales would be fully treated as New with full factory warranty.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 31, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #1,325 of 9,634
Thanks. We appreciated your backing us up. He likely hasn’t paid any attention to that fact that TSAV was the US launch partner on the Sony ES Products. These deals are legit and before we published the announcement we confirmed with Sony that these sales would be fully treated as New with full factory warranty.
Hi Jason,
as you are in close contact to Sony(I know you are not allowed to tell much or even nothing) I await an open compliment to my Z1R and Z7. I need it for our very hot summertime. I found the MA900 not very convincing, but at least a step in the right direction.

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,326 of 9,634

+1 exactly as stated.
I bought my Z1R from Jason this past summer (as well as my Utopia, Axios cables etc.)

I have been on the fence with the TA amplifier however with a deal like this, from an AUTHORIZED Sony ES dealer with stellar customer service, it was too difficult to pass on.
TA-ZH1ES inbound to use with the Z1R's and Utopia's.

No problems at all with The Source AV
Even the "British" like dealing with Jason!

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #1,328 of 9,634
Hi Jason,
as you are in close contact to Sony(I know you are not allowed to tell much or even nothing) I await an open compliment to my Z1R and Z7. I need it for our very hot summertime. I found the MA900 not very convincing, but at least a step in the right direction.

Honestly I have no idea what Sony is doing on future cans. I have an engineering meeting scheduled with Sony near the time of CanJam NYC, I’ll see if I can get any information on future products.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 31, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #1,329 of 9,634
I'm not one for all the technical terminology and details, so I'll just say the Z1R makes music sound so alive. And it's incredibly comfortable, something I am unfortunately not accustomed to up to this point with most of the headphones I've owned. I was trying to choose between these and the Focal Clear (I previously owned the Elear and enjoyed them), and if it wasn't for the sale listing I bumped into here on Head-Fi, would probably have gone with the Clear. I suppose I am glad I did not. The Z1R is a keeper!

I'm in the same position. I'm down to choosing between the Clear, the Z1R, and the Eikon. I can't make my mind up and have no way to audition these particular cans without buying one at a time and then returning them. I'd appreciate any comparisons from anyone who has owned at least 2 of these headphones. Help me out guys.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #1,330 of 9,634
+1 exactly as stated.
I bought my Z1R from Jason this past summer (as well as my Utopia, Axios cables etc.)

I have been on the fence with the TA amplifier however with a deal like this, from an AUTHORIZED Sony ES dealer with stellar customer service, it was too difficult to pass on.
TA-ZH1ES inbound to use with the Z1R's and Utopia's.

No problems at all with The Source AV
Even the "British" like dealing with Jason!

Thanks @buzzlulu

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #1,331 of 9,634
Source, My sincere apologies. All I saw was $1,399? How is that possible? You mean brand new Z1R? I did not know about you after all these years I am sorry. I guess if you are the rep or whatever you can do that. I bet the likes of Amazon are not happy lol. Anyways I am really sorry my mistake.

I keep saying to put some treble where the bass is so speaking you want a silver cable. In this case it kind of matters if it matters to you. It should change them just right. Just some silver it can be $200 does not matter. It diminishes the bass and adds some top end. It makes much more of a difference than like the HD800/S. There is a reason I keep mentioning it because it addresses the one issue those that otherwise like these have.

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #1,332 of 9,634
Source, My sincere apologies. All I saw was $1,399? How is that possible? You mean brand new Z1R? I did not know about you after all these years I am sorry. I guess if you are the rep or whatever you can do that. I bet the likes of Amazon are not happy lol. Anyways I am really sorry my mistake.

I keep saying to put some treble where the bass is so speaking you want a silver cable. In this case it kind of matters if it matters to you. It should change them just right. Just some silver it can be $200 does not matter. It diminishes the bass and adds some top end. It makes much more of a difference than like the HD800/S. There is a reason I keep mentioning it because it addresses the one issue those that otherwise like these have.

All of these are in fact open box product. The sale is limited to just the open box stock. I can say I’ve seen it all and it is all in pristine condition.

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #1,333 of 9,634
I await an open compliment to my Z1R and Z7. I need it for our very hot summertime. I found the MA900 not very convincing, but at least a step in the right direction.
Hey! Don't bully my baby MA900, I love her to death and will only move on from her when she get way too old for anything too strenuous >0<
Haha well joking aside I really am looking forward to a flagship open and IEM from, their product, just hold a special place in my heart. :)

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,334 of 9,634
Hey! Don't bully my baby MA900, I love her to death and will only move on from her when she get way too old for anything too strenuous >0<
Haha well joking aside I really am looking forward to a flagship open and IEM from, their product, just hold a special place in my heart. :)
One issue that I had, was the fit on the head and the nearly absolute absence of clamping force. This can is definitely not for head bangers and air guitar players.

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #1,335 of 9,634
I'm in the same position. I'm down to choosing between the Clear, the Z1R, and the Eikon. I can't make my mind up and have no way to audition these particular cans without buying one at a time and then returning them. I'd appreciate any comparisons from anyone who has owned at least 2 of these headphones. Help me out guys.

Eikon in comparison to Z1R:
  • Heavier comfort-wise
  • harder to drive without a desktop amp
  • More sub-bass focused than mid-bass
  • has a upper mid dip that peaks to lower treble (which I personally found harsh)
  • A lot more closed in sounding than the Z1R, which has great air and soundstage
The Z1R has more in common with the Atticus. However, I still ended up preferring the Z1R in the end. Much fuller lower end, though the Atticus had amazing mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back