Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Feb 2, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #1,339 of 9,638
Man, if this was available for Europeans, like me, i would be all over it at that price. Great deal!

Yeah it’s a good deal but I think there is only 1 left in stock now. It isn’t a good idea to buy outside of your market territory anyway because your warranty if needed is likely to be challenged.

I believe we still have a few of the 1A DAPs but otherwise the sales is almost over in terms of available inventory

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 2, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #1,340 of 9,638
Pietcux recommended Eminem’s Revival album for listening.
Wow! I’m not his biggest fan, but, again, wow!
What an accomplishment!
I voted in November. The track, Untoucahble, makes me appreciate what everyone else has to deal with if they’re not ( white, like me).
Holy crap. Great social commentary.
Great food for thought.
Thanks for the recommendation, and keep them coming.
Never would have heard the message without input from great people here.
Love it!

Feb 4, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #1,343 of 9,638
That is exactly it! They are the first ever headphones that mimic loudspeakers. The music extends so far beyond their cups. Like nothing else. Again they are not very technical but I prefer this quite frankly. The truth is that is a matter of taste. Technical does not make a "better" speaker/headphone. My $110,000USD Sonus Faber Extrema2 Bookshelfs are much like these Sony's. Beautiful in their own right but do not pick apart the music. $2,000 speakers can do that as well. They, and the Z1R just have a Holographic sound with PRAT to no end. I only mentioned price to show that it is not a dictator of technicality That is independent of price. Depends what you like. After about 50 years of Studio monitors I am embracing these. I admit I Mostly listen to the SF but I also do not listen much to the big Wilsons. Which are highly technical. I am tired of attempting to analyze the music and rather just enjoy it. It is all up to you. No right or wrong. If you want very technical phones on their toes the HD800/S is outstanding for the price. In fact IMO it is much more technical than the HE1.

Source I am sorry again. I swear that did not say open box. I am Sure it did. Please cut me a break I am an old man. Yeah open box great condition was a super deal. Me thinking they were brand new in market had me baffled. My bad.

Okay no war please! I think Eminem is very good and one day will be accepted with the likes of Tupac. You might wonder how I know of this at my age. I recorded all of these people! Although I think Rakim will always remain to stand alone.

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #1,345 of 9,638
That is exactly it! They are the first ever headphones that mimic loudspeakers. The music extends so far beyond their cups. Like nothing else. Again they are not very technical but I prefer this quite frankly. The truth is that is a matter of taste. Technical does not make a "better" speaker/headphone. My $110,000USD Sonus Faber Extrema2 Bookshelfs are much like these Sony's. Beautiful in their own right but do not pick apart the music. $2,000 speakers can do that as well. They, and the Z1R just have a Holographic sound with PRAT to no end. I only mentioned price to show that it is not a dictator of technicality That is independent of price. Depends what you like. After about 50 years of Studio monitors I am embracing these. I admit I Mostly listen to the SF but I also do not listen much to the big Wilsons. Which are highly technical. I am tired of attempting to analyze the music and rather just enjoy it. It is all up to you. No right or wrong. If you want very technical phones on their toes the HD800/S is outstanding for the price. In fact IMO it is much more technical than the HE1.

Source I am sorry again. I swear that did not say open box. I am Sure it did. Please cut me a break I am an old man. Yeah open box great condition was a super deal. Me thinking they were brand new in market had me baffled. My bad.

Okay no war please! I think Eminem is very good and one day will be accepted with the likes of Tupac. You might wonder how I know of this at my age. I recorded all of these people! Although I think Rakim will always remain to stand alone.

Just wanted to add my opinion here after reading your strange (to say the least) comments above.
Though I haven't heard the MDR-Z1R yet, I think it's a fair assertion to say that they can't be the "first ever headphones to mimic loudspeakers"!..
I used to be more of a speaker guy and at one point owned more speakers than I did headphones, I had them properly set up with the speakers properly placed with a carpet between them to improve the soundstage and acoustic panels on the walls, so I have years of experience of what a proper speakers setup sounds like and I know that there are plenty headphones that can mimic this.

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #1,346 of 9,638
Other headphones as well as dsp software (jriver media ctr 23) and built in feature of amps/dacs like my ifi idsd micro

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #1,349 of 9,638
No headphone will ever create the illusion of a live musical event like a properly set up 2 channel stereo.

While that may be true, the Z1R sure do a great job of it. Add to that my Phonitor's Crossfeed Matrix and I gotta say I feel like I'm there. Great headspace. Big sound... it's working for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back