Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 8, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #1,113 of 9,633
Just bought a Z1R. It'll be fun comparing it with Z7 when it arrives.
That is interesting. From which source will you run them? I have best experience from the WM1A with the balanced cable. It will fit on the Z7 too.

Jan 8, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #1,114 of 9,633
Hi,
Initially, Mac Mini to Airplay to Yamaha AV preamp(ESS Sabre Dac) to Manley Neo 300b preamp/headphone. CDs through Yamaha etc. played by DVD player.

If I take it to another location, Mac Mini to another ESS Sabre Yamaha receiver to a souped up Little Dot MkIII.

I don't do balanced, too much trouble and I don't really believe that much in it after having an ALL balanced audio system for several years. I am also fine with standard included cable. I mostly listen to vinyl in an audio system, and the headphones are kind of a digital afterthought for convenience and for locales/situations where I don't run the main vinyl rig. However, I wind up listening to headphones quite a bit because I just don't have the main rig around.

After the Z7, and hearing the various opinions, I really think that Z1R is the direction of my preferences and will probably sell Ed8 at a bargain rate. I'll have the Z7 in one location and the Z1R in my heavier headphone location with my Stax rig.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #1,115 of 9,633
Hi,
Initially, Mac Mini to Airplay to Yamaha AV preamp(ESS Sabre Dac) to Manley Neo 300b preamp/headphone. CDs through Yamaha etc. played by DVD player.

If I take it to another location, Mac Mini to another ESS Sabre Yamaha receive to a souped up Little Dot MkIII.

I don't do balanced, too much trouble and I don't really believe that much in it after having an ALL balanced audio system for several years. I am also fine with standard included cable. I mostly listen to vinyl in an audio system, and the headphones are kind of a digital afterthought for convenience and for locales/situations where I don't run the main vinyl rig. However, I wind up listening to headphones quite a bit because I just don't have the main rig around.

After the Z7, and hearing the various opinions, I really think that Z1R is the direction of my preferences and will probably sell Ed8 at a bargain rate. I'll have the Z7 in one location and the Z1R in my heavier headphone location with my Stax rig.
I suspect you'll be listening to headphones more often now!

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #1,116 of 9,633
Just bought a Z1R. It'll be fun comparing it with Z7 when it arrives.
Congratulations
We'd love to tell US
Your impression.
And to what amplification you connect them
Thank you
Give them a few days and will get a better sound

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,117 of 9,633
Groupthink is an odd thing with headphone criticism. It seems that the critics talk about 'enjoyment' factor like it is something to apologize for. It is something they are embarrassed to admit. Striving for shrieking detail or "neutrality" means you are one of the cognoscenti. I find the Z7 enjoyable and immersive, which is exactly what I want from my audio.

i am also impressed how the Z7 scales. When I put it with my Manley Neo 300b, the sound becomes almost stat like. I think the large diaphragm can make high sound levels with modest input. However, more power and higher quality of amplification discipline the large driver into a more linear condition. The bass clears up and becomes tight, and the detail, sound stage and general characteristics of the Z7 become more "neutral" and closer to a balanced sound profile while still being kind to the ears. I am hoping for more of the same from Z1R i.e. a sound that just makes you want to cocoon with the music and anticipate everything that comes next.

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #1,118 of 9,633
The Z1r is an interesting headphone, isn't it?

Interesting is a way to put it. It's a curious model. I do not find it perfect (except in comfort and build) but am also unable to get rid of it. The comfort/build/design part is one, but in terms of sound it's probably because of the fun factor that it achieves with some music. Nicely warm and intimate, without being too veiled or lacking air/separation and positioning. It's also very revealing, without sounding bright, which can make it even more comfy for long listening sessions.

I think this model is a bit like wasabi. An acquired taste that's not for everyone.

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #1,119 of 9,633
I’m loving it so much that it is now my only full size phone and I use it with any kind of music and find it great for it all.

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,120 of 9,633
Interesting is a way to put it. It's a curious model. I do not find it perfect (except in comfort and build) but am also unable to get rid of it. The comfort/build/design part is one, but in terms of sound it's probably because of the fun factor that it achieves with some music. Nicely warm and intimate, without being too veiled or lacking air/separation and positioning. It's also very revealing, without sounding bright, which can make it even more comfy for long listening sessions.

I think this model is a bit like wasabi. An acquired taste that's not for everyone.
You can consider yourself as guilty for me buying the Z1r. Let me direct you to the new Sennheiser HD820. Looking forward to your impressions, once it will be available later this year...
https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...jc6kfrw0-298b1eb0-1877-4987-b3ae-6dba3632d5cb

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,121 of 9,633
You can consider yourself as guilty for me buying the Z1r.

I hope you're not too disappointed with the choice. :)

It's looking very interesting, but things changed a lot since the HD800. The bar is quite high by now. Although if they managed to get a similar sound in a closed format, it could be great... could surpasse some of the 800's limitations (mostly the low frequencies).

I'm very curious tho, certainly want to have a listen and compare. At 2400 EUR, it better be very good. Not sure what to expect.. with Gorilla glass and all. Very uncommon design. Totally uncommon.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,122 of 9,633
I hope you're not too disappointed with the choice. :)

It's looking very interesting, but things changed a lot since the HD800. The bar is quite high by now. Although if they managed to get a similar sound in a closed format, it could be great... could surpasse some of the 800's limitations (mostly the low frequencies).

I'm very curious tho, certainly want to have a listen and compare. At 2400 EUR, it better be very good. Not sure what to expect.. with Gorilla glass and all. Very uncommon design. Totally uncommon.

Oh, I am still in love with the Z1R, thanks.

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,123 of 9,633
No doubt the power of suggestion will lead some to claim the new Sennheisers have a glassy upper-mid colouration...

I'm only just getting into my Z1R after not having much chance to listen in the last month. I'm less than 30 hours in but I've got no doubts about them though, and can't see me throwing them in for a different and newer contender. My next purchase will likely be the ZH1ES dac/amp which I tried briefly recently...or upgrading my WM1A to the WM1Z. I'm very impressed with all the Sony Signature Series pieces.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #1,124 of 9,633
The Z1R has been out since 2014? So how does that factor in. Always new headphones.

I am using the Kimber Axios Ag. It does have adapters the way I ordered it but I am using it single ended. My best amp for them is Se. It is not such a big deal that I need to run balanced. I think a cable of any sort may make a max less than10% improvement. Or.... detraction.

The Z7 is outstanding. I feel that the Z1R is among the best there is. Could be my setup with it I couldn't say. It is certainly a similar product to the R10 or 010. Someone said that before I had them burned in and I doubted. Lo and Behold.

They are a flagship headphone. If you want to compare to the HD800-820 or whatever compare them to the HE1. Yes, I will go that far.

No controversy, just my opinion. I happen to think they are fantastic and was very surprised thinking I would return them. If someone likes, or dislikes them that is their opinion and they are entitled to such as well.

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #1,125 of 9,633
The Z1R I like(obviously) the ZH1 may be tuned well for them but I have found way better amps in general. Of course the ones I am using are no longer made. I am positive I am using a better dac but with Sony who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back