Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 8, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #916 of 9,635
At the end of a long work week, I so look forward to listening to these cans. Hands down the most enjoyable I presently own! I'm not saying they are great for everything but with the right music they are awesome. Just another 7 hours to go..........

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #921 of 9,635
Man i want a new cable for Z1R's, the kimber cable is soooooo sexy looking but not payin that kind of money. Stock headphone cable ( not the balanced ) is way too long and gets stuck under my chair constantly lol, had the exact same problem with Z7's.

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #922 of 9,635
Man i want a new cable for Z1R's, the kimber cable is soooooo sexy looking but not payin that kind of money. Stock headphone cable ( not the balanced ) is way too long and gets stuck under my chair constantly lol, had the exact same problem with Z7's.
Which amount are you willing to pay? This HPC NOIR 1,5m from Forzaaudioworks is 160 €.
15128357926781791052559.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #923 of 9,635
Received my Z1R's, the build quality is just something. I dont find these at all that bassy tbh, but i've listened over an hour just so far.

First impressions? Certainly not jaw dropping, but its been like that with every headphone i have own, especially with 400i's, give some time and they sound wonderful.

Got my headphone upgrade itch sorted for now, but im tempted to try new amp/dac combo. What i have now is in my sig, any recommendations, something i can fund when selling what i own?
GIVE IT "Z1R" TIME IT WELL BE FIN SOUND....... BUT IN "BAL" IT WELL BE SUPERB I HAVE ALSO HE400I . SONY IS AWAY AHAED ...

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #924 of 9,635
I am listening to Gustav Mahler Symphony # 10 Sony WM1A >balanced High Gain> Sony Z1R. The whole ochestra is beautifully rendered and the very low notes are visceral.
Ihve the following cable on order:
Forza AudioWorks Noir Hybrid HPC - Cable : Octa hybrid semi-Litz UPOCC Cryo 7N wire (4x2 geometry), Headphones : Sony MDR-Z7/MDR-Z1R, Length : 1,5 m, Plug : Sony 4.4mm TRRRS Balanced, Splitter : Forza AudioWorks CNC 260€ incl. shipping.
72-433-thickbox.jpg

This is not so much for even better sound(no cable soud beliver here), I just need a very good 4.4 mm terminated cable in case the Sony cable dies. This is the third cable from them, I already have one for the DT1990 ab one for the Sony Z7. Both are the pure copper variant and both are 1.5m for conveniance. The build quality is superb.

Dec 9, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #925 of 9,635
I am listening to Gustav Mahler Symphony # 10 Sony WM1A >balanced High Gain> Sony Z1R. The whole ochestra is beautifully rendered and the very low notes are visceral.
Forza AudioWorks Noir Hybrid HPC - Cable : Octa hybrid semi-Litz UPOCC Cryo 7N wire (4x2 geometry), Headphones : Sony MDR-Z7/MDR-Z1R, Length : 1,5 m, Plug : Sony 4.4mm TRRRS Balanced, Splitter : Forza AudioWorks CNC 260€ incl. shipping.
72-433-thickbox.jpg

This is not so much for even better sound(no cable soud beliver here), I just need a very good 4.4 mm terminated cable in case the Sony cable dies. This is the third cable from them, I already have one for the DT1990 ab one for the Sony Z7. Both are the pure copper variant and both are 1.5m for conveniance. The build quality is superb.
When you get it, please let us know how it is. I will like to replace my present Sony Kimber cable with a softer more pliable cable. I simple find the kimber cable to be too stiff and unnecessarily long.

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #926 of 9,635

Actually setting down tonight after a busy afternoon watching soccer (TFC...new MLS Champs!!!! :soccer::soccer::soccer::clap::clap:) with my Z1Rs and DAVE. Listening to Gregory Porter's "Nat King Cole and Me" with the Kimber Axios cable (currently under review) and this cable is outstanding! Not just beautiful to look at, but the SQ really is the best final touch to these great headphones. The stock cable really held them back a bit and the Sony-Kimber cable was a worthwhile upgrade, but the Axios cable is endgame IMO.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #927 of 9,635
72-433-thickbox.jpg

cool looking cable and a nice complement to the z1r :relaxed:

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #929 of 9,635
Am I right in understanding that the only Sony Kimber cables specifically for the Z1R are balanced terminations? The non balanced ones seem to have been created primarily for the z7.
Not exactly. On the Sony Japan site both cables are labeled for both z1r and z7. It's just there was no 4.4 standard until z1r released. The bulk cable is the same.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #930 of 9,635
Actually setting down tonight after a busy afternoon watching soccer (TFC...new MLS Champs!!!! :soccer::soccer::soccer::clap::clap:) with my Z1Rs and DAVE. Listening to Gregory Porter's "Nat King Cole and Me" with the Kimber Axios cable (currently under review) and this cable is outstanding! Not just beautiful to look at, but the SQ really is the best final touch to these great headphones. The stock cable really held them back a bit and the Sony-Kimber cable was a worthwhile upgrade, but the Axios cable is endgame IMO.

+1
Kimber Axios are truly endgame for the Z1R

Similar to you I have the Sony Kimber collaboration cable (SE) for use with my Moon 430HA (a nice but not earth shattering upgrade) and an all copper Axios (balanced) for use with the 1Z.

Which version Axios are you demoing? I had both the all copper and copper/silver hybrid here. I felt the hybrid changed the fundamental design and nature of the headphone (as Sony engineers state to have intended) too much. It lost is character and became something it was not intended to be - a bit too smooth and emasculated. The all Copper version was a completely different story - end game as you stated.

Funny thing is that I also did not like the hybrid Axios on the Utopia and ended up with the all Copper Axios there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back