Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 26, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #8,641 of 9,638
Have the special edition Z1R, goes to 11, just like my amp.

330px-Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #8,642 of 9,638
So I've been messing around with EQ to see if I can take the Z1Rs to an even higher level of excellence. So far, I just have narrow dips and 10K (-4db) and 3200(-2db). I also have a bass shelf that boosts everything below 100hz by about 6db. I'm very impressed so far and think that I might pursue this path further. Do any of you EQ and if so, what have you done?
I have used EQ when taking the TAZH1ES portable and using my phone. i do a nearly full boost on bass and a full reduction on everything else because it makes the lower bass more prominent. this makes it sound like you are inside a bassy car, if you know what i mean. I concur that your “narrow dips” seem logical

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #8,643 of 9,638
I have used EQ when taking the TAZH1ES portable and using my phone. i do a nearly full boost on bass and a full reduction on everything else because it makes the lower bass more prominent. this makes it sound like you are inside a bassy car, if you know what i mean. I concur that your “narrow dips” seem logical
I know exactly what you mean, haha. It's astonishing how close I can get the sound of the Z1R's low-end to the sound of my car's subwoofers with a little EQ. Most headphones are simply not capable of this level of bass power no matter how much you EQ them. I may be a closet bass-head. . . . . . . . as we speak I now have the sub-bass shelf cranked up to +8db. I'm still testing different settings. EDM just doesn't sound right on most headphones no matter what I do to them but the impact of the Z1Rs is quite satisfying. Just like what subwoofers can do for speaker systems, once you try EQ with headphones you don't want to go back to how your life was before. I know that it's wrong, but it feels so right-

If anyone is interested in the program that I'm using it's called EqualizerAPO for PC.
6 here, with the Dekoni pads though. Stock pads it's a 5
I keep my extension set to 4. I guess that I must have a small head.

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #8,644 of 9,638
I keep mine at 3 LOL, anything above that makes the Z1R slide around, oh! and for musical enjoyment I keep that Taz and Z1R at -24db Low Gain.

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #8,645 of 9,638
I keep mine at 3 LOL, anything above that makes the Z1R slide around, oh! and for musical enjoyment I keep that Taz and Z1R at -24db Low Gain.
I'm usually between -40 and -20 on high gain, depending on the track.

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #8,647 of 9,638
I'm usually between -40 and -20 on high gain, depending on the track
-21.0 on high gain for 21 savage. -31.0 on high gain is “nice” for everything. getit? get it? -31.0dB should be exactly 69% according to my calculations. nice

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #8,649 of 9,638
So we was talking about EQ w the Z1R. Try Painkiller by Judas Priest on your sony z1r setup with full bass boost. incredible on the tazh1es

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #8,650 of 9,638
Taz + Z1R can be a bit dangerous at times, the combination of the two can easily have you crank up the volume due to its sweetness and relaxed nature. I find my self slowly creeping into the -19 / -18 easily whenever I land a well recorded song; Usually happens with with Kenny Garrett - Song for DiFang.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #8,651 of 9,638
Taz + Z1R can be a bit dangerous at times, the combination of the two can easily have you crank up the volume due to its sweetness and relaxed nature. I find my self slowly creeping into the -19 / -18 easily whenever I land a well recorded song; Usually happens with with Kenny Garrett - Song for DiFang.
the song does sound incredible. i like to go to full volume for Comethazine the album in order to get the best bass. you see, the bass is present with all volumes, and it doesnt stop getting better with volume going up sometimes

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #8,654 of 9,638
MDR-Z1R + TA-ZH1ES + the set below = audio bliss. 7:45 is insane

that is epic, and so good with the soundstage. 7:45 was cool

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #8,655 of 9,638
since i don't have any clue about "burn-in", how would you recommend it to someone who just bought a brand new mdr-z1r?

gear: isotek evo3 premier cable, audioquest carbon usb cable, sony taz, sony wm1z, and fiio m17.

personal listening time: 2 hours per week. but could be increase for burn-in with a stand.

music genre: r'n'b, soul, hip hop, pop, jazz, blues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back