Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 24, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #4,666 of 9,633
I'm wondering if there is a big difference of the frequency being 120,000 Hz of the Z1R and the 100,000 Hz of the 1AM2. I know the human ear can't hear these frequency responses, but am wondering if it still can have an impact of the listening experience of the headphones. Is the weight of the Z1R a hamper in experiencing these cans and what is the cheapest price ever for these? Possibly $1,000 USD?

May 24, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #4,667 of 9,633
I don't pay attention to ranking lists of a single person, I would say if you are researching these headphones, there are plenty of reviews that will give you some more information on the sound signature, not some guy ranking stuff based on who knows what. But again some people hate the Z1R especially the purists that like "balanced , "accurate" signature and can't stand any deviation in sound. People talk about a treble peak in who knows what frequency, but then they hail the HD800 as the best headphones which have a more pronounce peak at who knows what frequency. I remember listening to them even with whatever mod it was and i could not stand them. But with the Z1R never had any issues. You will find other reviewers that point out some of the z1r issues, but they appreciate what this headphone brings to the table. I mentioned this a few times, but after going back and forth selling this headphone due to the controversy and people disliking the sound, i finally decided on my third pair to trust my ears and ultimately I enjoy the headphones and thats what matters to me. I just enjoy the headphones. And will be keeping them until they die.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #4,668 of 9,633
I'm with you @Maelob. I don't think the Z1R's should be ranked that low. I'd take the Z1R's over a good number of headphones on that list because I think they are quite good. The Z1R's have been my go to closed headphones for two years now and I don't plan on letting them go. I've learned in head-fi, you really have to let your ears be the deciding factor. No one can tell how good a headphone is or isn't. There are so many variables that makeup a good sounding head-fi system and headphone. Getting a listen to so many headphones, amps, dacs, cables and other tweaks and building YOUR ideal setup is all part of the journey and the fun!

May 24, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #4,670 of 9,633
What’s the cheapest people have seen these go for?

May 25, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #4,671 of 9,633
Even though the MDR-Z1R is easy to drive, they seem to auto-correct with the right amp. Also you’ll have (as always) people who don’t like the signature even if driven correctly. Typically though you still have folks making high profile opinions yet not really driving the MDR-Z1R right. There is even a good chance that much of the Z1R confusion has been due to how their sonic profile has the ability to change?

May 25, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #4,672 of 9,633
Even though the MDR-Z1R is easy to drive, they seem to auto-correct with the right amp. Also you’ll have (as always) people who don’t like the signature even if driven correctly. Typically though you still have folks making high profile opinions yet not really driving the MDR-Z1R right. There is even a good chance that much of the Z1R confusion has been due to how their sonic profile has the ability to change?
The WM1Z and WM1A can alleviate the drive to the Z1R, correct?

May 25, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #4,673 of 9,633
The WM1Z and WM1A can alleviate the drive to the Z1R, correct?

In my world no.......they create issues. They are fantastic and in many ways the portability; that you could go on a trip with a 1A and MDR-Z1R is amazing. But you’ll find out something like the Sony TA-ZH1ES will remove “the artifacts” and take them to a preferred level. Also the fact that the TA is less than the 1Z, does make it something to consider. IMO

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #4,674 of 9,633
Ah, so maybe I should listen to the MDR-Z1R with my 1A and see how it sounds? What are these artifacts you describe? I'm still new to the music hobby, my apologies

May 25, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #4,675 of 9,633
In regards to crin's headphone list, I think his choice of amp/dac is playing a part in the differences people are having. I know I was stunned when I saw the over ear preliminary listing, and the rank of the z1r. The rankings changed a bit today with the 'official' listing that just came out, but the z1r is still ranked quite low comparatively to other units that I felt were nowhere close.

It seems that all of the testing was done with an ifi nano black, which I think will certainly suit certain headphones more than others. I think the z1r scales better with better gear (I know that's a cliché). Demoing the z1r with a great amp it was very polished and technical.

May 25, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #4,676 of 9,633
In regards to crin's headphone list, I think his choice of amp/dac is playing a part in the differences people are having. I know I was stunned when I saw the over ear preliminary listing, and the rank of the z1r. The rankings changed a bit today with the 'official' listing that just came out, but the z1r is still ranked quite low comparatively to other units that I felt were nowhere close.

It seems that all of the testing was done with an ifi nano black, which I think will certainly suit certain headphones more than others. I think the z1r scales better with better gear (I know that's a cliché). Demoing the z1r with a great amp it was very polished and technical.
Anyone have a link to a list of these top 50 headphones and why the Z1R was ranked low? Even I think that is too low of a rank for it

May 25, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #4,677 of 9,633
May 25, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #4,678 of 9,633

A lot of the headphones that I like or love, such as the Z1R, Cascade, Stellia, and Elegia, are all listed in the bottom half of the list. They also have 1 thing in common - they are all closed-back cans, and have a distinctly colored sound (even the Stellia).

Crin has done a lot for this community, but at the end of the day, his lists are purely subjective rankings of groups of IEMs and/or headphones. There's no need to sweat it.

May 25, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #4,679 of 9,633
May 25, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #4,680 of 9,633
Wait what?? The Audio Technica ATH-M headsets better are than the Z1R?? Even I found my MDR-1AM2 better sounding than those cans. Wow!! Now I see why people cringe at that list. The ATH-M50X I think are really good. But the 1AM2 I found more appealing to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back