Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Aug 15, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #347 of 9,635
Shame there hasn't been an updated version of Tyll's measurements using Jude's version of the cans. I tested two copies of these headphones, and I'd describe both as inoffensive sounding with no harshness or glare up top, as I have done in past impressions and as many others have stated in reviews too. I refuse to believe this is simply down to biological differences between people and feel there are probably differences in certain batches of copies. These aren't minor sonic differences we're talking about, but glaring ones.

Side note, the MDR-Z1R's are still my go to cans. Were it not for wanting to do one mega comparison of all my headphones, I'd have sold some of the others already by now. I just need to get hold of some LCD-4's and Utopia's, and then I can do a big comparison with nearly all the major end game or prominent cans. I'd love to do a blind test too since I find blind tests often reveal more honest and unjaded opinions.

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #348 of 9,635
hearing is believing i guess. i did find the treble spot lit at times but not bothersome. others did, however.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #350 of 9,635
Big, glowing review of the Z1R in THE ABSOLUTE SOUND in the September edition that came today. Reviewer Steve Stone said, "I found the MDR-Z1R to be the best-sounding all-around headphones I've heard."

He also said, " . . . the MDR-Z1R 'phones are directly competitive in sound and comfort with Focal's Utopia . . . and qualify as the best all-around, multi-purpose, multi-environment headphones I've heard."

Controversy Ahead . . .

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #351 of 9,635
As in it was too sharp?

for me, no. spot lit or prominent at times is the best I can do to describe the treble presentation from memory. I didn't regard it as a fatal flaw or anything approaching that - just noticeable.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #352 of 9,635
Big, glowing review of the Z1R in THE ABSOLUTE SOUND in the September edition that came today. Reviewer Steve Stone said, "I found the MDR-Z1R to be the best-sounding all-around headphones I've heard."

He also said, " . . . the MDR-Z1R 'phones are directly competitive in sound and comfort with Focal's Utopia . . . and qualify as the best all-around, multi-purpose, multi-environment headphones I've heard."

Controversy Ahead . . .

i read the review, which was praising. as much as i liked the z1r, i rate the utopia more highly sonically and found the z1r lighter and more comfortable to wear overall.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #353 of 9,635
Anyone moving from Ether C Flow to Z1R and could share their experiences!! I am very tempted to replace Ether C Flow with Z1R but worried about losing microdetails, treble extension and midrange clarity. With Ether C my only issue is I still dont get thumping bass for some EDM and POP genre which I understand Z1R can deliver. Also need some help on if EQ could help and best option for Windows based player. Thanks
Dont have option to compare these side by side as no dealer is having a demo unit in my area. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #354 of 9,635
I had the Ether C Flows for a long time before changing to the Z1R, mainly due to comfort. I had them both for a while and noticed more microdetails and midrange clarity with the Z1R, so I wouldn't worry about that.

While the Z1R has a little more bass, I didn't find the C Flows lacking in bass for myself. I found the C Flows bass to be faster of course and more detailed with sub bass.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #355 of 9,635
So what's going on? Jude where's this pair? Get it sent to Tyll and he can measure both and you can do the same with both pairs.

Having spent a lot of time with the Z1R I find it a bit of a mess. Peaky and rough up top and kind of bassy. Bass masks some of the roughness to a degree.

Nowhere near the level of the ZMF Atticus and is way overpriced.

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #357 of 9,635
I had the Ether C Flows for a long time before changing to the Z1R, mainly due to comfort. I had them both for a while and noticed more microdetails and midrange clarity with the Z1R, so I wouldn't worry about that.

While the Z1R has a little more bass, I didn't find the C Flows lacking in bass for myself. I found the C Flows bass to be faster of course and more detailed with sub bass.
Thanks for you quick feedback, so if the bass is still better faster on Ether C Flows then no point moving to Z1R

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #358 of 9,635
i read the review, which was praising. as much as i liked the z1r, i rate the utopia more highly sonically and found the z1r lighter and more comfortable to wear overall.

+1

I own both- and use the Z1R exclusively for when I need closed back isolation. While I love both and feel the Sony is spectacular the Utopia is simply in a completely different league- there is simply no comparison between the two.

I also agree and find the Sony unparalleled in comfort

Aug 16, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #359 of 9,635
Planning on selling my HD 800 S. It's got no time head time since I got the Z1R. The bass with the Z1R is simply outstanding but detail retrieval and spaciousness of sound are impressive too - it's certainly far more than a glorified basshead can! The synergy with Hugo 2 is excellent, probably my favourite combo to date. I won't say endgame, but I can see this being my combo of choice for some time to come.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back