Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Feb 11, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #2,581 of 9,644
Do you think it's worth the effort to sell the pm1 to buy a z1r as i can't afford both right now. Using with mscaler/hugo2. I thought the z1r soundstage was large??

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #2,582 of 9,644
I think I have a love-hate relationship with the Z1R. One thing I noticed: with my DAP, the Q2PR, the balanced output is really way too harsh. I have a nice aftermarket cable for it using it with the 2.5mm balanced port, but it is piercing and sibilant. Once I change to the 3.5mm port with the Sony Kimber cable, things become much better, no sibliance and a way more pleasing sound.

Anyway, sometimes I love my Z1R, when Listening to classic rock like Marillion or Pink Floyd. Then I change to classical music, and I long for my Utopias, so very much, suddenly the Z1R sound rough and unpleasant. Weird.

PS: The Z1R Sound munch better loud. Anybody agrees?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #2,583 of 9,644
Do you think it's worth the effort tot sell the pm1 to buy a z1r as i can't afford both right now. Using with mscaler/hugo2. I thought the z1r soundstage was large??
That's a tough call. The Z1R's have a very good soundstage. It’s deceptively spacious for a closed headphone. I love the tuning of the Z1R’s. They don’t have the dynamics, details or clarity of my Utopia’s. Nor do they have the airy treble or the bass impact of my Susvara’s. The Z1R’s don’t try to be like those headphones. They have their own unique tuning that makes them so special and a must have to my ears.

The PM1’s are great headphones and were a joy to listen too. They are smooth just like the Z1R’s. But there are other headphones out right now that I’d choose and have chosen over them. Since I had the PM1’s and sold them and kept my Z1R’s that should tell you what direction I went . But do your homework and give them both a serious listen with your favorite music and see which one YOU like better. I wish you could own both. They are both headphones worth owning. Seeing the equipment you own, I think the Z1R’s will benefit a little bit better than the PM1’s. I love my Z1R’s out of my Hugo 2

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #2,584 of 9,644
PS: The Z1R Sound munch better loud. Anybody agrees?
This is correct. I guess the closed-back acoustic chambers of the Z1R won't fully realize their designated effects without a 'proper' amount of air diffused from the driver; that is, until it's loud enough and not over loud meanwhile.
Personally I evaluate this 'proper' loudness by the sound images. Adjust the volume until you feel the image of an instrument/vocal is close to its size in reality, neither shrunk nor enlarged, then you're almost there.

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #2,585 of 9,644
hIDDh1M.jpg

Specials on the Sony MDR-Z1R at The Source AV! Limited quantities! Brand New and full warranty!

Call in to get a quote!

1-800-700-7029

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #2,586 of 9,644
I completely concur that the Z1R while imperfect, nonetheless is deliberately tuned and as such is a deliberate, and unapologetic sonic signature from Sony. I loved the Z1R when I owned it and there were quite a few very lovely things about it, and yes as a previous poster or two expressed, the Z1R likes to be played at a decent volume. In a similar vein, I am currently very, very much enjoying the Klipsch HP-3 and also salute Klipsch for deliberately tuning the HP-3 to present a signature that is deliberate and not all about flat response. I hate using terms that are tired and perhaps cliché, but both the Z1R and the HP-3 (perhaps the HP-3 even more so) are very musical and engaging. I simply love both and I feel that those who love the Z1R are very likely to respond well to the HP-3. I certainly did.

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #2,587 of 9,644
I completely concur that the Z1R while imperfect, nonetheless is deliberately tuned and as such is a deliberate, and unapologetic sonic signature from Sony. I loved the Z1R when I owned it and there were quite a few very lovely things about it, and yes as a previous poster or two expressed, the Z1R likes to be played at a decent volume. In a similar vein, I am currently very, very much enjoying the Klipsch HP-3 and also salute Klipsch for deliberately tuning the HP-3 to present a signature that is deliberate and not all about flat response. I hate using terms that are tired and perhaps cliché, but both the Z1R and the HP-3 (perhaps the HP-3 even more so) are very musical and engaging. I simply love both and I feel that those who love the Z1R are very likely to respond well to the HP-3. I certainly did.
I have the Z1R's currently and I sold my HP-3's. You are right about both of them. These are 2 of the 3 most musically engaging headphones I've heard. The 3rd being the ZMF Auteur. I'll be re-purchasing the HP-3's at the end of the month and at some point I'll add the Auteur's to my collection as well. But for now the Z1R's with the Sony/Kimber cable hits a sweet spot with me. :L3000:

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #2,588 of 9,644
Last two comments sum up my assessment of both headphones. Right now they are my prime open and closed headphones, both meet all my needs right now. Got them both within the last month and they are easily end of game headphones. Volume does bring out great sound, but doesn't need to be dangerously loud, but loud enough to engage the listener.

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #2,589 of 9,644
I have the Z1R's currently and I sold my HP-3's. You are right about both of them. These are 2 of the 3 most musically engaging headphones I've heard. The 3rd being the ZMF Auteur. I'll be re-purchasing the HP-3's at the end of the month and at some point I'll add the Auteur's to my collection as well. But for now the Z1R's with the Sony/Kimber cable hits a sweet spot with me. :L3000:
Good call I think to re-acquire the HP-3. I just can't help but think that their simply gorgeous look and feel combined with a tasteful and artistic tuning may make these a sought after headphone in the future. Perhaps my love affair will cool soon, but I just really respond to this tuning and to tie it back to the Z1R, as I should, I can say the same was true for the Z1R. To use an analogy the Z1R is a full bodied Merlot of good vintage served in a Japanese wine bar and the HP-3 is a wonderfully smoky aged bourbon served in a speakeasy somewhere in New Orleans. Both are wonderful experiences and while similar, both are nonetheless quite different at the same time.

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #2,592 of 9,644
I'm a happy new owner of the ZR1. I heard upgrading the stock cables is the way to go. Any feedback with this cable?

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUC-B20SB1-SONY-Headphone-cable/dp/B01LRR04F0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=JYHJKOJWJ3J3&keywords=sony+kimber+cable&qid=1550102618&s=gateway&sprefix=Sony+Kim,aps,201&sr=8-1

I looked at the Kimber stuff and it is incredibly expensive.

I think we sell them for less than that amazon price but I’m away from the office so I’m not 100% sure

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 13, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #2,593 of 9,644
Good call I think to re-acquire the HP-3. I just can't help but think that their simply gorgeous look and feel combined with a tasteful and artistic tuning may make these a sought after headphone in the future. Perhaps my love affair will cool soon, but I just really respond to this tuning and to tie it back to the Z1R, as I should, I can say the same was true for the Z1R. To use an analogy the Z1R is a full bodied Merlot of good vintage served in a Japanese wine bar and the HP-3 is a wonderfully smoky aged bourbon served in a speakeasy somewhere in New Orleans. Both are wonderful experiences and while similar, both are nonetheless quite different at the same time.
Well said!

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #2,594 of 9,644
I'm a happy new owner of the ZR1. I heard upgrading the stock cables is the way to go. Any feedback with this cable?

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUC-B20SB1-SONY-Headphone-cable/dp/B01LRR04F0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=JYHJKOJWJ3J3&keywords=sony+kimber+cable&qid=1550102618&s=gateway&sprefix=Sony+Kim,aps,201&sr=8-1

I looked at the Kimber stuff and it is incredibly expensive.
I have the same cable terminated with a 1/4 inch connector instead of the 4.4 mm pentaconn connector. I like this cable much better than the stock cable with my Z1R’s.

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #2,595 of 9,644
Last two comments sum up my assessment of both headphones. Right now they are my prime open and closed headphones, both meet all my needs right now. Got them both within the last month and they are easily end of game headphones. Volume does bring out great sound, but doesn't need to be dangerously loud, but loud enough to engage the listener.
You are all in with your gear! Nice choices, but I'm biased. If I could have afforded to keep the Z1R I most certainly would have. If you don't need to sell it I hope that you can keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back