Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Feb 19, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #2,611 of 9,633
To get proper bass out of the Z1R you need to get off of the stock cables. Before I went with the AXIOS Cu balanced I was disappointed in the bass as the CA Solaris had it beat. Now with the AXIOS it has smooth deep clean bass and is more like the Solaris.

Feb 19, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #2,612 of 9,633
I realize I may be opening a can of worms but is there a general consensus on which cable sounds best w/ these glorious headphones and the Sony 1Z dap?
Sorry if I offend anyone.

Feb 19, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #2,613 of 9,633
is there a general consensus on which cable sounds best w/ these glorious headphones?
I'm not sure this is the consensus, but from my observations it seems to be the more you spend the more you feel it addresses your perceived Z1R short comings.
I recently built a number of unbalanced cables, using WAY over spec'd and slightly under spec'd cable/wire (cryo silver, copper), all gold connected w/ super expensive silver/copper/tin solder and then listening to some tracks I created on my Digitone... I'm sure there could be some difference, but I think I would need canine hearing to discern it. I can hear 1/128th~1/64th difference in a generated signal, so I assume the cable makes less than that difference.
I do like the look of them, and they also feel good in the hand.

Feb 19, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #2,614 of 9,633
Cables do very little changes in terms of frequency response but I think they make effects in the impulse responses, resulting in more harsh/mellow sound.
1Z pairs quite decently with these cans it compensates the shortcomings in frequency response of the Z1Rs with its unique tuning style. So changing cables with 1z+z1r comb doesn't seem that necessary.

Feb 19, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #2,615 of 9,633
I realize I may be opening a can of worms but is there a general consensus on which cable sounds best w/ these glorious headphones and the Sony 1Z dap?
The Kimber Kable AXIOS Cu balanced is a significant upgrade over the stock balanced cable. It increased the bass and smoothed out the highs. Someone in this thread said the Kimber Kable AXIOS Ag was the ultimate but costs as much as the WM1Z.

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #2,616 of 9,633
For me, planars are best for fast drumming metal such as Decapitated, Nile and so on. Mastodon also require fast bass, so much so that some cans are simply not capable to keep up and make their music sound unbearable to my ears. My old and trusted PM-3 are still the go to set when I'm in the mood for metal. Everywhere else though, Z1Rs reign supreme in my collection. Except Noble K10, but not a fair comparison that.

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #2,617 of 9,633
I'm not sure this is the consensus, but from my observations it seems to be the more you spend the more you feel it addresses your perceived Z1R short comings.
I recently built a number of unbalanced cables, using WAY over spec'd and slightly under spec'd cable/wire (cryo silver, copper), all gold connected w/ super expensive silver/copper/tin solder and then listening to some tracks I created on my Digitone... I'm sure there could be some difference, but I think I would need canine hearing to discern it. I can hear 1/128th~1/64th difference in a generated signal, so I assume the cable makes less than that difference.
I do like the look of them, and they also feel good in the hand.

Burn the heretic!! LOL

Feb 20, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #2,618 of 9,633
As described in many posts here the Kimber AXIOS has been mentioned. In my uses the lower cost Kimber/Sony MUC-B20SB1 has really been a joy bringing much of the slight drawbacks in the Z1R/1Z combo to a close. Many have issues with the slighly cloudy lower mids, the mid detail and treble congestion. The cable seems to go pretty far to bring the sound together and in focus. Better midrange detail, better bass detail and smoother high-end treble response. IMO

If the AXIOS continues the trend it’s probably utterly amazing.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #2,619 of 9,633
For me, planars are best for fast drumming metal such as Decapitated, Nile and so on. Mastodon also require fast bass, so much so that some cans are simply not capable to keep up and make their music sound unbearable to my ears. My old and trusted PM-3 are still the go to set when I'm in the mood for metal. Everywhere else though, Z1Rs reign supreme in my collection. Except Noble K10, but not a fair comparison that.

Interesting. I'm listening to Decapitated and Meshuggah right now and the Z1R's are handling the double bass like a champ. Maybe it's gear/cable related?

Feb 20, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #2,620 of 9,633
I find it interesting, forgive me, that somebody posts about making several sets of what sounds like very high quality cables and notices no audible differences as a result and nobody says a word. If somebody came along and said how much positive difference they hear with expensive after market cables people would be posting so quickly to agree. I would think that at least people would be a little more curious about the null results mentioned by raybies. Regardless, it is great to read about people loving their Z1R, they really are special.

Feb 20, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #2,621 of 9,633
I find it interesting, forgive me, that somebody posts about making several sets of what sounds like very high quality cables and notices no audible differences as a result and nobody says a word. If somebody came along and said how much positive difference they hear with expensive after market cables people would be posting so quickly to agree. I would think that at least people would be a little more curious about the null results mentioned by raybies. Regardless, it is great to read about people loving their Z1R, they really are special.

I didn’t buy my Kimber cables but they just happened to be a free gift Sony was including with the Z1R. Still after getting home and using them I was dumbfounded to find the cables were a remedy to anything I felt was missing in both the sound of the Z1R and past flagship the Z7. Why Sony would not just include cables with the headphones is a mystery?

Feb 20, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #2,622 of 9,633
I find it interesting, forgive me, that somebody posts about making several sets of what sounds like very high quality cables and notices no audible differences as a result and nobody says a word.
I would be really happy if I could tell the difference.
I made 3 sets:
  1. The 1 below w/ shielded 6N OCC / 6N OCCS... material cost $90
    Below says silver plated but it's not it has silver and copper strands.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MPS...able-DIY-earphone-wire-audio/32762941590.html
  2. 4 wire flat litz braid w/ 18AWG 7N OCC (the wire is WAY too thick and rigid, so the braid came out messy)... $80
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEOTECH-So...Up-Cable-Pure-Copper-Wire-HiEnd-/253465408017
  3. 5N OFC shielded cable BUT using the shielding for the ground.... $35
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...FC-Silver-Plated-Wire/914995_32834520389.html
All w/ the same Viablue connectors, no audible difference.
I have an oscilloscope + 100MHz signal generator, if you want me to get scientific about it. When I was checking test leads the cheapo vs fluke leads also showed virtually no measurable difference, though the silicone vs pvc did in practice.

I'm going to make another cable in the near future; a 4 wire flat litz braid w/ 24awg wire.

20190209_152923.jpg

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #2,623 of 9,633
I made 3 sets:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MPS...able-DIY-earphone-wire-audio/32762941590.html
  2. 4 wire flat litz braid w/ 18AWG 7N OCC (the wire is WAY too thick and rigid, so the braid came out messy)... $80
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEOTECH-So...Up-Cable-Pure-Copper-Wire-HiEnd-/253465408017
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...FC-Silver-Plated-Wire/914995_32834520389.html
I have an oscilloscope + 100MHz signal generator, if you want me to get scientific about it. When I was checking test leads the cheapo vs fluke leads also showed virtually no measurable difference, though the silicone vs pvc did in practice.

I'm going to make another cable in the near future; a 4 wire flat litz braid w/ 24awg wire.

20190209_152923.jpg

What would be interesting too was if you tried the Sony/Kimber and could tell a difference from stock. Obviously placebo could affect what people think they hear. Still I feel the variables besides cables are simply what is left over; equipment and humans. Meaning at times with the right equipment and right human there is a noticeable difference. IMO

We already can read that some people notice certain things in the sound spectrum where at times with other folks it’s a wash.

The reason in your case I feel it would be good to at least demo the Kimber/Sony cable is because we read of folks noticing a profound difference. When in your construction methodology you could be paralleling just what stock cables do. It would be interesting if your builds could be emulating the MUC-B20SB1. IMO
https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/headphone-extension-cables/muc-b20sb1

This week I’m also getting the Kimber/Sony 4.4mm to MMCX. And while it actually has a lesser reputation here than the MUC-B20SB1, there has been some reports of making a difference.

So all Sony included cables with the Z1R and S7 are Silver Coated Copper. The Kimber/Sony cables are just copper. I’m not pretending to know anything about cables as most of my thoughts are purely subjective. But.......

Hunting around different IEM threads has resulted in people believing that pure silver has a tendency to brighten the sound. Gold/Silver also is noted for that end personality with even greater detail. OFC pure copper cables are noted for smoothing out the treble and enhancing warmth. Also in my use I seem to hear silver coated OFC as having a middle ground between the two where it has warmth but also more treble bite; just as you would guess from the use of silver. These thoughts are simply generalizations arrived at by interpretation of people’s described results, and my own unprofessional tests and further resulting opinions.

The Z1R IEM is now arriving in people’s hands this week and there actually seems so far that we have a preference for stock over the Kimber/Sony upgrade cable?

Edit:
It should be noted I’m not just a cable believer due to thinking any added expensively priced cable is going to add improvement. I have made dramatic efforts to purchase aftermarket cables only to find the cables sound as an expected improvement with some headphones, but failed dramatically in use with the headphone they were purchased for. There is absolutely a phenomenon where stock cables can bring the best sound possible.

I also feel at times manufacturing uses the cables they do for a multitude of reasons. They need the build a larg amount in a fast time, so supply AND STYLE of materials is important. They typically go for a more robust build than your going to find with a delicate boutique brand. I would also guess they would choose more conservative building ideas and not take risks building a cable that would make the headphone sound best from a range of sources.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #2,624 of 9,633
I would now buy a WA5-LE (2nd gen)
https://wooaudio.com/amplifiers/wa5le

My current one is a premium caps/tubes modified YAQIN-MS-300C the circuit would be very similar to the Woo except it also uses a 274B Tube Rectifier (B-2 schematic), it's easy to set headphone impedance (D-3), BUT in saying that it is also currently broken, a relay isn't closing for the preheat and I need to disassemble the main board which requires de-soldering every wire, which is major PiTA to figure out why.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YAQIN-M...Integrated-Amplifier-110-240v-AU/253789839832

The issue is A - 1/2... headphone
300C.jpg

I need to remove the whole board as the issue's on the other side and after spending SO much time originally modding I can't be bothered.
20180729_142716.jpg

Stock tubes... I can't tell the difference between stock and premium expect for the heating up crackles and cooling down pings.
DSC00516.jpg

But I also can't tell the difference between stock and my OverKill shielded 6N OCC / 6N OCCS (cryo Copper and Silver) cable... while others can tell the differences.
20190209_152923.jpg

I own a first generation Woo 5LE, though it’s on a different continent so laughably I haven’t used it for while or tried it with the Z1R. If you end with one you’ll love it. There is nothing, I mean nothing not to love about it. Spectacular build and performance. It’s actually very non-tube sounding. It sounds like a really clear SS amp, with all the soundstage and beautiful harmonics of tubes.

Feb 22, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #2,625 of 9,633
I made 3 sets:

20190209_152923.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, what's the source for the threaded Z1R/Z7 locking connectors? And, what's your opinion on their quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back