Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 31, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #2,146 of 9,644
Or I could use my Focal Clear cables which are pure copper and oxygen free.

You sure could. The only feature you’d lose is the locking feature ....... hahaha as long as you don’t dance around or headslam you’re ok hahaha :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 14, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #2,147 of 9,644
Lock no big deal. Almost no very high end cables have the lock. Axios does because it is commissioned by sony. IMO, you can do much better than Axios on a custom build but still no lock. The locking barrels hard to get but you can. Only reason for me is to look nicer but it is not going to come out. If you head-bang in almost 2019 cans probably fly off before plug comes out. Unless you snag cable but more concerned about the cable then. You can build a terrific cable for price of the Sony/Axios. IE, not the true Axios. I mean like $350 2 meter. You want to go $10,000? These will most certainly scale up to that. Still my favorites. I have nearly every high end phone., Even HE1. Sure, more accurate but Sony just "sounds better" to me. Kind of what I wished PS1k/PS2K is. Totally different but you should get what I mean.

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #2,148 of 9,644
Yes I’ve had mine for approaching 2 years now and have had absolutely no desire to get anything else. Fully expect to still be using them 10 or 20 years down the line if I look after them properly

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #2,150 of 9,644
^? Between what?

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #2,151 of 9,644
sorry i was with the phone didnt upload the pic
DSC_0090.JPG

and this is the source/amp
DSC_0089.JPG

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #2,154 of 9,644
i think th900, has a more open treble and detail , and also more speed. the bass hit stronger
the sony is darker and laid back, more mid bass and punch, more musical, and for this reason is easier to listen to in the long time, and it cover more genres (better in jazz for example, meanwhile the th900 is perfect for rap and elettro, but the sony can also play both nicely)
maybe the sony is a bit superior in the full complex
ciaoo

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #2,155 of 9,644
I'm debating to take the plunge with the Z1R's, after buying the TA-Z1HES, back in July. The only thing is, is the price justified, given that they cost more than the TA ? ( I know price is a matter of opinion. )
I debated for quite sometime to buy the TA, because of the cost, but i don't regret the purchase at all. I've never considered spending such a large amount of money on headphones, but would hope that i'd have no regrets doing so ? ( My thoughts are that it would be a long term investment, with no need to purchase any other headphones in the future ?
The price doesn't appear to budge from £1.650, but availability is 1 - 3 months, so i fear they will soon stop making them & i think i might regret not taking the plunge, if this becomes so ?

( My present headphones are OPPO PM3's & Sony's latest 1AM2's )

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #2,156 of 9,644
i think th900, has a more open treble and detail , and also more speed. the bass hit stronger
the sony is darker and laid back, more mid bass and punch, more musical, and for this reason is easier to listen to in the long time, and it cover more genres (better in jazz for example, meanwhile the th900 is perfect for rap and elettro, but the sony can also play both nicely)
maybe the sony is a bit superior in the full complex
ciaoo

I found the treble fatiguing on the TH-900 and too sizzly for my tastes. The Z1Rs pretty much rectify that issue and bring an openness and overall transparency for me that the Fostex's fail to capture. That said, nothing wrong with having both.

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #2,157 of 9,644
I'm debating to take the plunge with the Z1R's, after buying the TA-Z1HES, back in July. The only thing is, is the price justified, given that they cost more than the TA ? ( I know price is a matter of opinion. )
I debated for quite sometime to buy the TA, because of the cost, but i don't regret the purchase at all. I've never considered spending such a large amount of money on headphones, but would hope that i'd have no regrets doing so ? ( My thoughts are that it would be a long term investment, with no need to purchase any other headphones in the future ?
The price doesn't appear to budge from £1.650, but availability is 1 - 3 months, so i fear they will soon stop making them & i think i might regret not taking the plunge, if this becomes so ?

( My present headphones are OPPO PM3's & Sony's latest 1AM2's )
You shouldn't need to pay full price. I found them on ebay shipping from japan for 1500-1600 USD when I bought a few months ago, whereas the best I could find for the TA was 1900 USD. The numbers add up though, and personally I'm a bit regretful about putting up nearly $4k for my setup (looking to sell the Z1R's potentially soon as a result).

Nov 22, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #2,158 of 9,644
I found the treble fatiguing on the TH-900 and too sizzly for my tastes. The Z1Rs pretty much rectify that issue and bring an openness and overall transparency for me that the Fostex's fail to capture. That said, nothing wrong with having both.
I dont know there IS still something i m not convinced with the Sony
It s a real pleasure to listen to but it remind me of hd650, That i liked very much back in the past, when i was cool and young! But it s a 300buck headphone...

Nov 22, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #2,159 of 9,644
i can appreciate that the th900's highs may be too sharp for some folks tastes - they were problematic for me initially. i liked the z1r but it didn't sound any more open and "transparent" (whatever that means) than the th900 to my ears. i'm yet to hear a closed-back headphone that surpasses the th900's open presentation and clarity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back