Sony XBA-A2 need help/opinion
Dec 16, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #196 of 233
Thanks haha. Well I found it to be true and I stand by my findings. :) Of course, YMMV.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #197 of 233
I have my A3 iem up for sale only used it five times. Selling it cayse I already have a Z5 and nine other iems.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #198 of 233
From Goldenears website, hopefully they don't mind me using their data.  From their measurements, the A2 is by far the most near neutral.

XBA-A2

d30e4e2b8ef90b9282cf080a9434922e.png

XBA-A3

ad912d353648309b01c2ca53e0113bd3.png

Z5

8dbb7641415e94d75205002128c93498.png

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #199 of 233
So I've been listening to both the A2 and A3 for a while now and it's tough to decide which to keep.  I can only justify keeping one.  These are meant to be my work IEM.  My determining factors are (1 being most important):

1. Comfort - I plan to use them at work so they need to be comfortable in my ear for at least 8 hours.
2. Ease of use - Since I'm using them at work and need to communicate with people I often have to take them out of my ears and put them back in, so this can't be a tedious process.
3. No microphonics - I am a fidgeter...I can't stop moving when I'm trying to sit still at my desk.  So cables that make noise are out of the question.
4. Sound quality - OK now I can start thinking about sound quality.  :)  This includes bass and treble extension, neutrality, soundstage, detail retrieval, clarity.

I am leaning towards the A3 but I'll know more this week as I switch between them at work.  So far:
A3: Comfortable (doesn't pull down in my ears due to over ear wires), easy to remove and put back in ears, cable has almost no microphonics due to over ear design, sound quality is good but just a bit too bassy.
A2: After a few hours they hurt my left ear (due to size and down pointing cable), easier to remove and put back in ears than A3, cable has alot of microphonics (it's distracting), sound quality is more to my liking (on par or better than A3 IMO).

Hopefully this helps someone!  I'll probably have more to say by mid-week.

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #200 of 233
So I've been listening to both the A2 and A3 for a while now and it's tough to decide which to keep.  I can only justify keeping one.  These are meant to be my work IEM.  My determining factors are (1 being most important):

1. Comfort - I plan to use them at work so they need to be comfortable in my ear for at least 8 hours.
2. Ease of use - Since I'm using them at work and need to communicate with people I often have to take them out of my ears and put them back in, so this can't be a tedious process.
3. No microphonics - I am a fidgeter...I can't stop moving when I'm trying to sit still at my desk.  So cables that make noise are out of the question.
4. Sound quality - OK now I can start thinking about sound quality.  :)  This includes bass and treble extension, neutrality, soundstage, detail retrieval, clarity.

I am leaning towards the A3 but I'll know more this week as I switch between them at work.  So far:
A3: Comfortable (doesn't pull down in my ears due to over ear wires), easy to remove and put back in ears, cable has almost no microphonics due to over ear design, sound quality is good but just a bit too bassy.
A2: After a few hours they hurt my left ear (due to size and down pointing cable), easier to remove and put back in ears than A3, cable has alot of microphonics (it's distracting), sound quality is more to my liking (on par or better than A3 IMO).

Hopefully this helps someone!  I'll probably have more to say by mid-week.

You can wear the a2 over ear as well. They are easier on the ear and the nij memory wire makes it snug over the ear.

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #201 of 233
Thanks, I actually tried that with the A2 but it didn't feel comfortable.  And the memory wire of the A3 does a much better job at supporting its weight.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #202 of 233

I demoed these side by side with the A3 and Z5 and a couple hundred other IEM and these A2 stole the show. There were no reviews for em before I did mine...
confused.gif

They stomped on their expensive brothers in bass and clarity where the A3 and Z5 sounded at no time like clarity beasts these did....and of course they got lots of bass

I finally got a pair of the A3 out of curiosity, and can say that the A3 are more balanced and clear next to the A2. The A2 may be easier to drive, with more present bass, but the A3 has more space and a tad clearer treble. Sony really did something special with the A3, but as a go to the A2 is just an easier recommendation. I dont know if ill be able to decide between them. 

Edit:
How is it everyone else hears the A3 as bassier? It may depend on source because the nexus 5 did not seem to present them so differently, unlike the dragonfly. A3 is more controlled i bass, and A2 warmer overall and forward. They are still not very far off from each other. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #203 of 233
May I ask if anyone compared A2/A3 with Trinity Delta? I'm choosing between these for iBasso DX50.

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #206 of 233
I've been using an EX1000 for a couple years now as my main IEM but sound is starting to cut in and out periodically and the fit is honestly a bit weird.  I really liked the controlled bass, soundstage, and overall neutrality of the EX1000 and a lot of people have been saying that the A3 and the Z5 have a bit too much bass.  Does anyone here have experience with both the A2 and the EX1000 as to give a brief comparison between the two and whether the A2 would be an upgrade to the EX1000?

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #207 of 233
I have ex1000 as well as A2, A3 and Z5 and I can tell you that A2 is a good IEM, but it is different not necessarily better than ex1000. A2 has punchier bass that is tight but more pronounced. The soundstage of A2 is nowhere near of EX1000, but you may like it for certain types of music where intimate/closer presentation is welcomed. The A2 is very easy to drive, but I found that EX1000 really shines with an amped source. Btw, folks suggested that EX1000 has peaky highs (which I did not find to be the case) but I can say that A2 treble is more controlled. Overall A2 is different but has very good characteristics and is a fun iem. Hope this helps.

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #208 of 233
Can you comment on the mids of the A2 vs the EX1000? Since the A2 uses two BA drivers for mids and highs does it sound as natural as the dynamic driven EX1000? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back