Sony XBA-A2 need help/opinion
Sep 2, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #181 of 233
  If you are contemplating whether to take A2 over A3, you have made good decision. A2 is more open and less weighty than A3, but both earphone is pretty weighty.
soundstage wise, its ok, just nothing to shout about.

Have u try FAD Heaven II (cheaper, just less rumble bass) and IV?

So you recommend A2 over A3? what about bass? and comfort, i'm a little spectaculer about the A3 Design

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #185 of 233
  a2 is the most underrated iem in the 200-250$ price range. it is just too good to pass up. sounds good straight out of a DAP and sounds even better when amped

Why is that? i went into a giant headphone shop without any preconceptions and walked out with the A2...and came to head fi and there were no reviews and no dedicated thread
blink.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #186 of 233
 Why is that? i went into a giant headphone shop without any preconceptions and walked out with the A2...and came to head fi and there were no reviews and no dedicated thread:blink:

not everyone lives in japan :relieved: thats why we need you to let us know about new fancy stuff there

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #187 of 233

agree 100% A3 was too muddy and I'm a basshead...

I'm sorry, i couldn't figure out what do you mean by muddy, do you mean that Bass on A3 is not refined and punchy? "The Guys on the A3 thread are saying the same about the A2; they are saying A3 have better bass than A2. I'm coming from XB90EX and i'm a bass head. Thanks for help, i'm trying to build an imagination of what i gonna buy cause i will buy and ship overseas without trying and without an option to return if not satisfied :frowning2:

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #188 of 233
I'm sorry, i couldn't figure out what do you mean by muddy, do you mean that Bass on A3 is not refined and punchy? "The Guys on the A3 thread are saying the same about the A2; they are saying A3 have better bass than A2. I'm coming from XB90EX and i'm a bass head. Thanks for help, i'm trying to build an imagination of what i gonna buy cause i will buy and ship overseas without trying and without an option to return if not satisfied :frowning2:

a2 isnt a bass head earphone, its bass is somewhat more than neutral, its bass amount is the same or slightly less than xb90 from iphone unamped. so, but if you eq bass it can have bass.

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #194 of 233
I've been meaning to post in here about my experience with the XBA-A2 and A3.  As a precursor, I prefer a neutral sound signature with a bit of bass emphasis, but just a bit.  And I love detail and picking out instruments.

My first Sony was the EX600 which I really like but I needed more extension up top.  So I tried a used EX1000 and thought it really fit the bill (great bass and treble extension with a large soundstage) but the pair I bought weren't in as good condition as the seller claimed so back they went.  Then I decided I really wanted to try a hybrid and spend less than an EX1000 costs.  Having read alot of good things about the XBA-A3 I bought a set.  I really liked them, except for the bass...there's just too much of it!  I can't even imagine how the Z5 sounds with even more bass than the A3.  So I bought a set of XBA-A2 to compare and I think these might just be perfect.  There's the extended treble of the A3 but a bit more mids and less bass.  The bass is still accentuated but only a bit, just right in my opinion, and it goes pretty deep.  The A2 seem very close to neutral.  The soundstage and clarity are just as nice as the A3 (from what I read they both share the same balanced armatures).  The only things I don't like about the A2 is that they don't have over-ear cables.  1. The down pointing cables can make the A2s uncomfortable because of their size. 2. They cause microphonics.

I read some comments here on head-fi about the A2.  Someone said they are sealed...they are definitely open.  There's a hole on the backside of each earpiece.  It's more obvious than the little slot in the A3.  I think this helps the A2 keep the same huge soundstage of the A3.

So, if you like BASS, go for the A3.  If you like neutral and are ok with potential issues from the cables dropping down instead of going over your ears, get the A2.

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #195 of 233
Oh no. Don't say the A2 has less bass then the A3. I said that and it rubbed someone the wrong way even if it is the majority of the impressions.
ksc75smile.gif

Nice impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back