Sony X Series Walkman, COWON S9, Apple iPod touch 2G, SanDisk Sansa Fuze Impressions with the Shure E500 / SE530
Aug 18, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #106 of 278
For those with the S9, firmware V2.41 is out. Here are the details:

- JetEffect 3.0
* Added Reverb sound effects: Reverb effect gives you feeling of real circumstance.
* Added 9 presets: total 39 presets.
Maestro
Feel the Wind
Mild Shore
Crystal Clear
Reverb Room
Reverb Club
Reverb Stage
Reverb Hall
Reverb Stadium
* It is possible to apply EQ filter, BBE, Stereo Enhance, and Reverb at the same time.

- Improved touch sensitivity
- Improved MP3 gapless playback.
- Fixed the error of gapless playback in some OGG files.
- Improved playback of OGG files.
- Fixed the error of tags in some FLAC files.
- Fixed the displaying error in some video files.
- Support video files that contains PCM audio codec.

The touch sensitivity is slightly better; however, I still prefer the sensitivity and speed of the X in flick scrolling. Cowon, please make the scrolling faster in the next FW release or create a System Settings option to adjust sensitivity. Thanks and keep up the great work!

=====
EDIT: Reading up on abi forums, the flick scrolling is speedier if you remove or rename the "browser_total.swf" file under the System\Flash UI\ folder that's included with Claw's UI. Stick with the stock browser if you want faster flicks.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #107 of 278
cowon. wow. more fw updates rox.

the new useful reverb option can actually physically reconstruct the distance between the source of music and the listener. From in your face to 0.5km outside the stadium. with realistic echo.

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #108 of 278
Holy cr*p. I may have found my new fave preset--Maestro sounds like BBE ViVA, but more transparent and dynamic. Hard to believe (given the S9's clarity), it's almost as if a veil has been lifted. The mids are a little more forward than with BBE ViVA and the bass is tighter; making for a more engaging listening experience especially if you're into electronic dance music.

The Reverb presets are interesting from a distance perspective. Nothing special with the other presets.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #110 of 278
Brushing - up my audiophile memory, S-masters really shine in real-size high end audio gear.

Assuming that the same technology scaled down (a lot) and made it into a walkman, it can only be good news. Personally I made my mind for the X player and will post some of my thoughts when it arrives.

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #111 of 278
Aug 31, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #112 of 278
which makes it seem like its cheaper to produce - less parts inside the machine

hence why I was hoping it would filter down
frown.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #113 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone comment on Sony X series vs S series (or, A series)? The S-master Amp is a mystery to me.

I had the A829 some time ago and felt it was overly warm for my tastes. The X is also a warm player, but not as warm as the A829. Never heard the old S series, and the new S series is just coming to market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which makes it seem like its cheaper to produce - less parts inside the machine

hence why I was hoping it would filter down
frown.gif

I imagine it'll be a year before the technology filters down the product line. Sony won't cannibalize the higher margin sales of the X for the S.

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #114 of 278
I ended up buying Sony X series which was on sale at Dell. I saved like 50 bucks. I have listened to so many MP3 players. This is absolutely stunning. Slacker is highly addictive. Every single song holds your attention with crystal clear sound. For better bass i am using Sennheiser CX300. Amazing. It will be even more incredible with audiophile headphones. Since sound leakage doesn't work for me i am going to settle for this earphone. Even the songs you don't normally care for holds your attention because of amazing sound. I tried same songs with other players. Didn't really have that effect.

Not without a reason Sony walk man X series comes at 2 in T3's 100 hot gadgets

T3.com’s Hot 100 Gadgets - Top 10

Btw.. this is my first Sony product in my house. !!!

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #115 of 278
Nice to see the Sony X getting the praise it deserves.... I'm going to post this link over in the main X thread. Thanks for the find.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #116 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So overall, for SQ, do i go for X or S9? also, anyone looking into the new Creative Zii Egg?

Can't speak for S9. Haven't heard. But i can speak X series. From Slacker i played whole range of songs. Hard rock, soft rock, jazz, classical every bit of music. I also played bollywood Indian music. It didn't miss the mark in playing any kind of music. It was just perfect in handling all ranges. It has some additional sound enhancements like VPT(Surround), DSEE(Sound Enhancer), Clear Stereo, Dynamic Normalizer in addition to the Equalizer which has 2 custom equalizers. Slacker has amazing depth in sound. Since X series has inbuilt Slacker support you can cache upto 3 stations for free. That is about 300 songs if i am right. It complements the Slacker Audio quality very well. It is like marriage made in heaven. S9 also has good reviews. I never bought Sony just because it is Sony. I own tons of gadgets. None of them was Sony. This one i bought after i careful research. So far not disappointed.

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #117 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to see the Sony X getting the praise it deserves.... I'm going to post this link over in the main X thread. Thanks for the find.

Ah ah ah... T3... Ah ah ah...

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #118 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkarthik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ended up buying Sony X series which was on sale at Dell. I saved like 50 bucks. I have listened to so many MP3 players. This is absolutely stunning. Slacker is highly addictive. Every single song holds your attention with crystal clear sound. For better bass i am using Sennheiser CX300. Amazing. It will be even more incredible with audiophile headphones. Since sound leakage doesn't work for me i am going to settle for this earphone. Even the songs you don't normally care for holds your attention because of amazing sound. I tried same songs with other players. Didn't really have that effect.

Not without a reason Sony walk man X series comes at 2 in T3's 100 hot gadgets

T3.com’s Hot 100 Gadgets - Top 10

Btw.. this is my first Sony product in my house. !!!

Congrats on the new baby!
regular_smile .gif
The X is a fine player; good to hear you're enjoying it with the CX300.

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #119 of 278
In the UK you can get the Cowon S9 and Sony X for comparable prices. I prefer the slightly smaller form factor of the Sony, but I'm concerned about the hiss, as I have SE530. I might pop down to the local Sony shop to try it out, then buy online if it's OK. Can anyone say if files in the podcast directory have auto-resume on the Sony? As the Sony doesn't have proper bookmarking, this would be necessary for listening to audiobooks and podcasts. Do all files auto-resume, or only the last one? I've also read that the player stops at the end of each file in the podcast directory, which could be rather annoying if you can't turn that behaviour off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back