Sony X Series Walkman, COWON S9, Apple iPod touch 2G, SanDisk Sansa Fuze Impressions with the Shure E500 / SE530
Oct 17, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #136 of 278
I am considering an upgrade to a 16gb or 32gb player. Since most of my music library is ogg (still have and use the iRiver H140) I am leaning towards the Samsung P3 or the S9.
I mostly use my DAP for listening during 1 to 1 1/2 hour gym workouts so the ability to build and store multiple playlists is very important along with excellent sound quality.

Has the S9 improved at all with playlist support?

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #137 of 278
I've decided to buy an S9 sometime in the future, but I can't help but wonder how it'll perform with the JVC FX-500. Seeing how it's sound signature is known to be analytical/cold, I don't know what to expect when it'll be paired with something warm and bassy. Anyone with experience with the synergy?

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #138 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojsinnerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've decided to buy an S9 sometime in the future, but I can't help but wonder how it'll perform with the JVC FX-500. Seeing how it's sound signature is known to be analytical/cold, I don't know what to expect when it'll be paired with something warm and bassy. Anyone with experience with the synergy?

I will do some listening with this combo soon. I have both the FX500 and S9. But honestly, I've been almost afraid to try it out since I find the FX500's anything but warm. They're bassy sure, but they don't have an over abundance of mid bass, so they are still very clean sounding. Almost 'dry', or 'cool'. And their treble is pretty aggressive. I'm afraid that pairing them with the somewhat cold S9, it may be a bad result. We'll see though. I'll also compare my findings to how they sound with the Sony X (which I already know to be a spectacular pairing).

I'll post it up soon....

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #139 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the HD580-PIMETA setup, I'm not an advocate of double amping as you should be using a player with a true lineout such as the iPod touch. While not optimal, how does the HD580 sound directly out of the X and S9 headphone jacks?

Hmmm...in all my excitement, I never really thought about the detrimental affect that might have. Would you mind elaborating on that?

I no longer have the S9, but I did pick up a pair of Super.Fi 5's from Fry's today and seem to have forgotten how much more important the speaker vs source part our hobby is. Paired w/ my little S616, the combo's much better than the ER6i even w/ the Sony X. It's been over 2 years since I bought my Ety's and I had no idea BASS could be heard from an IEM! The soundstage seems to have actually GROWN speakers in my ears! I have really been going about this the wrong way, hehe. Given this, I think I'm going to look @ upgrading my IEM's first and hold off on something a little different from Sony for now. (No WiFi, NC, more buttons, still S Master)

Given what you know about my tastes, what would you recommend in the $200 IEM realm?

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #140 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will do some listening with this combo soon. I have both the FX500 and S9. But honestly, I've been almost afraid to try it out since I find the FX500's anything but warm. They're bassy sure, but they don't have an over abundance of mid bass, so they are still very clean sounding. Almost 'dry', or 'cool'. And their treble is pretty aggressive. I'm afraid that pairing them with the somewhat cold S9, it may be a bad result. We'll see though. I'll also compare my findings to how they sound with the Sony X (which I already know to be a spectacular pairing).

I'll post it up soon....

I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing your impressions on the S9+FX500 and X+FX500 (since I'm planning to buy the FX500 for my S9 and X!)
o2smile.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #141 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is on the way, and i previously owned the X series. I'm thinking the Amp3 should be here by next week, but i also have a feeling it's somewhere lost in the system...

Great. Hope you remember the sound signature of the X in comparing with the Amp3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LennyPK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am considering an upgrade to a 16gb or 32gb player. Since most of my music library is ogg (still have and use the iRiver H140) I am leaning towards the Samsung P3 or the S9.
I mostly use my DAP for listening during 1 to 1 1/2 hour gym workouts so the ability to build and store multiple playlists is very important along with excellent sound quality.

Has the S9 improved at all with playlist support?

I'm using Claw UI v3.42 and dynamic playlists are well supported. You can easily create playlists directly on the S9 as well add / delete / order tracks in the playlist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojsinnerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The FX500 was on my dynamic IEM contender list, but decided on the C710 after reading about the fit and isolation issues a number of Head-Fi'ers were experiencing. Anyway, I'll defer to cn11 to comment on the FX500-S9 synergy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm...in all my excitement, I never really thought about the detrimental affect that might have. Would you mind elaborating on that?

I no longer have the S9, but I did pick up a pair of Super.Fi 5's from Fry's today and seem to have forgotten how much more important the speaker vs source part our hobby is. Paired w/ my little S616, the combo's much better than the ER6i even w/ the Sony X. It's been over 2 years since I bought my Ety's and I had no idea BASS could be heard from an IEM! The soundstage seems to have actually GROWN speakers in my ears! I have really been going about this the wrong way, hehe. Given this, I think I'm going to look @ upgrading my IEM's first and hold off on something a little different from Sony for now. (No WiFi, NC, more buttons, still S Master)

Given what you know about my tastes, what would you recommend in the $200 IEM realm?

Regarding double amping, here's a thread worth checking out--http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/dou...ng-bad-337253/

It sounds like distortion and too much coloring are introduced in your X and S9 jack > PIMETA amp > phone setup. Not sure if there's some optimal volume, EQ settings on the X or S9 to achieve an approximate line out feed as is the case with the D2. Recently, I tested a cheap 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm stereo cable connection from the S9 to a 2010 Toyota Corolla's AUX input jack and it sounded ok even though I had to turn up the volume all the way up. I ordered a 3.5 mm to RCA 22AWG cable to test on my Compass and home stereo so will report back later.

Yes, the speaker / headphone is just as important if not more than the source in the audio chain. Glad to hear you found a good pairing. If you crave bass, try the C710 with the Comply tips. As for recommendations, you might want to state your genre and sonic preferences. I value (not necessarily in order) clarity, detail, speed, bass quality over quantity, treble sparkle, and a slightly mid-forward presentation for my heavy EDM listening time. Soundstage and imaging are important criteria to me when listening to trance, new age, and classical. Of course, comfort is of paramount importance and the degree of isolation and leakage are factors to consider based on the listening environment.

I've tested more headphones than IEMs so other Head-Fi'ers may want to report their IEM-player experiences that provide the best synergy in a given price bracket. If you're looking for a full-size headphone experience with a DAP, I would recommend the ATH-M50s which sounds very clean and dynamic out of the S9 jack. Generally speaking, the smooth X complements well with IEMs that have a brighter sound signature, while the detailed S9 balances things out with warmer IEMs. Again, it's about yin and yang.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #142 of 278
Okay, quick comments on S9/FX500 synergy... I do find the treble to be a bit hot with this setup. But, it does help bring back some of the mids they lack (in comparison to the Sony X). I attribute this to the forward nature of the S9. Bass is a toss up between the two DAP's, i.e. very good. Soundstage too is a toss up, and likewise very good. It's not quite as harsh of a combo as I had expected. You could definitely do worse, and I wouldn't steer people clear of this setup. I do still like them a little better running with the Sony, but the disparity is not as great as I thought.

I'll keep doing listening sessions, and update my impressions if it is warranted. I should also note that I did all my listening on the S9 with BBE Viva active, as I feel this is necessary... otherwise I find the sound too flat and lifeless on the Cowon.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #143 of 278
Hmmm...yeah, it didn't really sound all that bad to me. I certainly didn't get any distortion or hiss. The combo now w/ the Super.Fi 5 v2 and Sony NWZ-S616F sounds like a King Cobra about to strike!
biggrin.gif

I also don't remember using the EQ...at all on the Sony X, PIMETA, HD580 combo. Maybe it did add coloration, but I just liked it?
biggrin.gif

I've been doing a TON of searching for IEM's lately and keeping an eye on these new Head Direct 252's that one poster compared to the IE8's. I did like my Ety ER6I's and appreciate the increase in soundstage and low end from the Super.Fi 5 v2's. But the bass in the SF5 v2's really is plenty. However, I wouldn't want any less sound stage than that. And looking at your sonic preferences I really think I agree w/ them nearly 100%.

I know we disagreed on the assessment of the Cowon, but it should be noted the player sounded much better on my Ety's than the 580's. Probably an issue w/ the PIMETA as you alluded too. And more so, just a good pairing combo of your E500's w/ the Cowon. That said, I wonder considering how much I love my 580's and that Sennheiser sound how the IE8's or these new 252's would do w/ the Sony X.

As for genre, I would say: classical, alternative rock, pop, trance, electonica, folk, and I'm trying to get into other genre's like jazz, rock, r&b, even a little country. As long as it's not hardcore gangsta rap or death metal, I'm ok. I've been listening to three days grace and the XX today. Any recommendations for jazz artists to start with?

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #144 of 278
@cn11

Interesting comparison. What tips are you using with the FX500? I find foam tips tend to smooth out the highs for those folks more sensitive to treble. Have you tried the 'Maestro' preset? It helps bring the mids more forward and it sounds more exciting than BBE ViVA!

@Jodiuh

Going by your genre preferences, you'll probably be better off going with an all-rounder IEM. Or you can go with genre-specific IEMs if you're looking for more than one pair of phones, unless you have particular preferences in presentation. For example, if I'm in the mood for EDM I'll go with the C710 for its treble and bass response. If its jazz, R&B and vocals, then the E500 are my go-to phones. Jazz occupies less than 10 percent of my listening time so I'm no expert. I enjoy the melodies and vocals of Holly Cole, Diana Krall, and Michael Buble. Check out the Music forum for suggestions.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #145 of 278
techfreakazoid-

I can't find the maestro preset! Is it something available only with the Claw UI? I have tried foam tips with the FX500's and agree that Comply's are very good on them. It's just that I don't like to be bothered to compress foam tips as well as fiddle with wires going over the ears. I like to be a bit quicker about things, since most of my usage happens at work and I'm taking them out and re-insterting them quite often.

Edit: After googling the maestro preset, it is apparent that I don't have the most recent firmware on it. That would help! I'll try that out asap.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #147 of 278
Hi. May I ask if the Cowon S9 will do well unamped with the Sennheiser HD 238 and AKG K518 as well as paired with an iBasso amp? I am purchasing a D2 soon and I am in need of some experience with this audio setup. Many thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #148 of 278
I compared the Fuze to my S9 (normal) using the Sennheiser IE8's.

Other than the volume levels, which i matched, there was no difference. which didn't surprise me. i think with players like these you're going to struggle to find any difference with the sound if you match the volumes.

It's not a case of, the more expensive one has better sound quality for your cheap headphones. You're paying for the screen, features, size, logo on the front. The sound qualities are all going to be 99.9% the same, if there was a noticeable difference they wouldn't bother trying to compete.

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #149 of 278
I recently got the Senn IE8s as well and am deciding between the Sony and the Cowon. Taking into account the EQs available, which do you think will do better for alternative, rock & rap/hiphop? Yes I know the difference won't be much, but even if one is slightly better why not get it? I don't care about the Sony's lame WiFi. Interface might be a concern if the Cowon's is crappy enough.

BTW I look for very strong (basshead strong) yet clean & detailed bass with the mids and highs still shining through. I think I have sensitive ears because if the music is too detailed in the highs I find it too harsh. ex: I find my Shure e210s way to harsh and completely lacking on the lowend. I actually prefer listening with my v moda bass freqs over the Shures, though the v modas have its own set of SQ deficiencies.

Nov 2, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #150 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by ċãţ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I compared the Fuze to my S9 (normal) using the Sennheiser IE8's.

Other than the volume levels, which i matched, there was no difference. which didn't surprise me. i think with players like these you're going to struggle to find any difference with the sound if you match the volumes.

It's not a case of, the more expensive one has better sound quality for your cheap headphones. You're paying for the screen, features, size, logo on the front. The sound qualities are all going to be 99.9% the same, if there was a noticeable difference they wouldn't bother trying to compete.

Hi ċãţ, I don't really understand that theory. If I match the volumes of my Touch, Zune HD and X... I can't get the Zune to sound anything like the X, or the Touch to sound like the X, or any of the other combinations that are available. Matching the levels doesn't give the X the soundstage of the Touch, nor the Zune the same treble sparkle as the X.

They all sound very different from each other, no matter what the volumes are. And since I tend to listen to the same loudness on all my daps for most of the time, then they're already volume matched.

My Fuze had a smaller soundstage than the Touch and Zune, and no increase in volume could make it sound anything like the other two. I think daps have their own individual charateristics just like earphones, and there are some quite marked differences between certain models. The S9 and X for example have very different sound signatures from each other. I just can't see why playing them at the same loudness levels would make them sound 99% the same as each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back