Sony X Series Walkman, COWON S9, Apple iPod touch 2G, SanDisk Sansa Fuze Impressions with the Shure E500 / SE530
Aug 16, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #91 of 278
So overall, for SQ, do i go for X or S9? also, anyone looking into the new Creative Zii Egg?

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #93 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So overall, for SQ, do i go for X or S9? also, anyone looking into the new Creative Zii Egg?

do u love warm or bright sound? if warm, go to x, if bright, go to s9
i am not looking for creative zii because creative focus in features, not sound quality

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #94 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do u love warm or bright sound? if warm, go to x, if bright, go to s9
i am not looking for creative zii because creative focus in features, not sound quality

Hmm, my amp is on the warmer side, so i could live with the S9. But that seems to be bigger than the X which is a problem...

I actually find the Zen X-fi to be pretty decent for it's price, 32gb is only $249.99 and SQ isn't bad at all. But definitely, Cowon is better.

I am WISHING that a company out there would just make a player which is just purely kickass in SQ and no other. Cowon bothers too much with software like BBE which is suppose to "enhance" and "upgrade" the sound when it clearly doesn't...

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #95 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does BBE VIVA avaliable on D2+ and is it(D2+) offer true line out quality on vol 49?.

I can't comment on the D2+. Search the D2 threads or post a new thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Cowon S9 fix the Shure SE530's treble and very slight bass roll off when BBE ViVa is activated?

I'm not sure if 'fix' is the term, but the pairing does complement well in that the S9 has treble sparkle and BBE ViVA enhances bass impact.

Quote:

Both the X and S9 have excellent SQ. It boils down to personal preferences in presentation, music genre, phone choice. The Egg has not launched and its SQ remains unknown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how the ZuneHD stacks up against the Cowon S9 and Sony Walkman X in sound quality...

Only a month to go before the we see how the Zune HD stacks up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZuneHD uses same DAC as previous versions no ?

Check the FCC documents to see if there's any mention of components otherwise, we may have to wait until the teardowns filter in.

Quote:

Hmm, my amp is on the warmer side, so i could live with the S9. But that seems to be bigger than the X which is a problem...

I actually find the Zen X-fi to be pretty decent for it's price, 32gb is only $249.99 and SQ isn't bad at all. But definitely, Cowon is better.

I am WISHING that a company out there would just make a player which is just purely kickass in SQ and no other. Cowon bothers too much with software like BBE which is suppose to "enhance" and "upgrade" the sound when it clearly doesn't...

You might want to check out the AMP3 and HiFiMAN threads. All manufacturers have their own sound signatures, which involves both hardware AND software implementation. The X and S9 are pretty 'kickass in SQ' to my ears.
normal_smile .gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #97 of 278
Quote:

To each their own I say, as the SQ enhancements on the S9 are in no way detrimental. It does as claimed, and if you don't like it, you don't have to use it (BBE, EQ, etc). It's still a wonderful sounding player, as is the X1000 Series.

As for the Zen X-Fi, it can't hold a candle to the S9 OR the X1000 series. Question is, are you basing your opinion off of the X-Fi? The S9 & X1000 are a higher class then it, so I really hope not.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #98 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To each their own I say, as the SQ enhancements on the S9 are in no way detrimental. It does as claimed, and if you don't like it, you don't have to use it (BBE, EQ, etc). It's still a wonderful sounding player, as is the X1000 Series.

As for the Zen X-Fi, it can't hold a candle to the S9 OR the X1000 series. Question is, are you basing your opinion off of the X-Fi? The S9 & X1000 are a higher class then it, so I really hope not.

I myself believe that un-EQ sound is the true beauty of music, and how music was meant to heard. SInce the Musician put all the time into the perfect recording and IMO EQing just ruins it. But i have no problem with other people playing around with EQ, that's cool =)

I am not basing my question off of the X-FI, however someone above stated that Creative doesn't bother with SQ, when they do like on the X-Fi. Yes, i do know the X and the S9 is in a different league.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #99 of 278
FYI, most recording artists don't decide how the music sounds, it's the recording engineer. Look at how crappy the Metallica album "Death Magnetic" ended up sounding and you'll see what I mean. It's a prime example of why an EQ is necessary - though no EQ on the planet can save that cd!!!!

Final statement: There is no perfect recording, and every person hears differently, so EQ'ing is a personal matter. Saying that the effects and EQ on the Cowon S9 don't "enhance" and "upgrade" is just your OPINION, not a fact. Not all EQ's distort, but the EQ on the Zen & Zen X-Fi does.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #100 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI, most recording artists don't decide how the music sounds, it's the recording engineer. Look at how crappy the Metallica album "Death Magnetic" ended up sounding and you'll see what I mean. It's a prime example of why an EQ is necessary - though no EQ on the planet can save that cd!!!!

Final statement: There is no perfect recording, and every person hears differently, so EQ'ing is a personal matter. Saying that the effects and EQ on the Cowon S9 don't "enhance" and "upgrade" is just your OPINION, not a fact. Not all EQ's distort, but the EQ on the Zen & Zen X-Fi does.

I did quote it as my opinion already?

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #102 of 278
I've always wondered, the S9 and the X and a lot of players out there only have the freq response of 20-20. Does that not render phones that go beyond those freq ranges useless? for example, STAX goes to 40kHz, and more simply the Phiaton PS200 goes to 30kHz and TF10 foes to 10Hz...

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #103 of 278
Quote:

I've always wondered, the S9 and the X and a lot of players out there only have the freq response of 20-20. Does that not render phones that go beyond those freq ranges useless? for example, STAX goes to 40kHz, and more simply the Phiaton PS200 goes to 30kHz and TF10 foes to 10Hz...

I'm quite interested in the response to this question as well. If humans can only perceive the frequency ranges from 20Hz to 20KHz. Then doesn't that make it unneccessary for phones to boast frequency ranges beyond those perceivable frequency values?

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #104 of 278
Hi,a fair bit back(couple of years or so),there seemed to be a trend,were some peeps were buying separate very high frequency tweeters.You couldn't hear them,but supposedly they had a positive affect on the sound from the two main speakers.Never bought any thou.

Cheers BOB

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #105 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm quite interested in the response to this question as well. If humans can only perceive the frequency ranges from 20Hz to 20KHz. Then doesn't that make it unneccessary for phones to boast frequency ranges beyond those perceivable frequency values?

well not necessarily, some of us can have a wider range of hearing beyond 20Hz-20kHz. However, these players only output from 20-20, so what's the point of making headphones/earphones that go beyond 20-20?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back