Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #2,881 of 2,999
can I get some clarification with regards to the usage of LDAC vs SBC codecs?
in the Bluetooth settings of my Galaxy Tab S6 , turning on LDAC makes the sound much worse , like it has been passed through some U-shaped equalizer where the bass and treble have been boosted artificially, and I can hear compression artifacts all over the sound...
the mids sound surpressed and distant, the bass is boomy and loose, and the treble has been digitally crushed

I am using SBC exclusively now because it does not ruin the sound, I thought LDAC was supposed to be the high quality option?

::edit:: I went into Developer Mode and manually changed the sampling rate from 96khz to 44.1khz , and the sound problems are gone... when you select LDAC, it automatically sets it back to 96khz, but it seems that there is a problem with the resampler or something which messes up the sound

::edit 2:: it seems that everytime the XM4's reconnect with LDAC turned on, it reverts to 96khz , and the sound is all buggy again... bummer, when the sound is working correctly I could actually hear that it sounds better than SBC

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #2,882 of 2,999
No!!!!! Just when I thought I was safe, it's finally starting to happen. I thought the first couple of times, they just didn't charge properly but the imbalance is now becoming consistent. Hopefully they can hold out til the XM5s are released.

IMG_9391.jpeg

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #2,884 of 2,999
Like others, the battery in one of my XM4 has gone bad, discharging much faster than the other one. But I am seeing an odd behavior.

When I am out and about and it is inconvenient to place the buds back into the case, I continue to listen with sound obviously only coming from one bud since the battery in the other one is at 0%… but, if I listen long enough, the second bud suddenly comes back to life, and in the app I can see that it is above 20%…

Basically the bud thinks the battery is drained, but then after a while it realizes there is in fact quite a bit of charge left. I have now repeated this twice, so it was not a one-off…

Anyone else experience this?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #2,885 of 2,999
Like others, the battery in one of my XM4 has gone bad, discharging much faster than the other one. But I am seeing an odd behavior.

When I am out and about and it is inconvenient to place the buds back into the case, I continue to listen with sound obviously only coming from one bud since the battery in the other one is at 0%… but, if I listen long enough, the second bud suddenly comes back to life, and in the app I can see that it is above 20%… Basically the bud thinks the battery is drained, but then after a while it realizes there is in fact quite a bit of charge left. I have now repeated this twice, so it was not a one-off…

Anyone else experience this?
Yep, mine are all over the place. Case and buds fully charged this morning, then put them away for a bit, then they were 90/80 - case was 54. I called Sony and opened a ticket and have been running a test for them for two hours now. Left is almost dead and right shows 48. Will be calling them back shortly to report.

Jun 26, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #2,886 of 2,999
I’m one of the lucky ones. I’ve had mine since day one so near 2 years and still get almost 9 hours on both buds playing aac from my iPhone with both eq and anc enabled

Jun 26, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #2,887 of 2,999
I’m one of the lucky ones. I’ve had mine since day one so near 2 years and still get almost 9 hours on both buds playing aac from my iPhone with both eq and anc enabled
Same here, I bought them right after they came out. Same setup really w/iphone as well. Not had any issues until my recent trip to Japan when they immediately went bonkers on the plane. Glad I took extra headphones with me :frowning2:

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #2,889 of 2,999
sorry guys, so is it possible to replace the batteries?
thanks.
Probably if you’ve got the skills and even better if you can get hold of the technical reference and repair manual

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #2,891 of 2,999
You can actually get your buds replaced with no additional cost from Sony Center. I just got mined replaced even when it's out of warranty. I bought it back during March last year and just send it over last week, and just got mine today. Sony rep even told me it's a common issue and they have the memo about it from Sony. If it's the charging case actually being the cause they won't replace the buds, if it isn't they would replace the pair of buds and tune it with the old battery case.

R5ICmRV.jpg

Jun 27, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #2,892 of 2,999
You can actually get your buds replaced with no additional cost from Sony Center. I just got mined replaced even when it's out of warranty. I bought it back during March last year and just send it over last week, and just got mine today. Sony rep even told me it's a common issue and they have the memo about it from Sony. If it's the charging case actually being the cause they won't replace the buds, if it isn't they would replace the pair of buds and tune it with the old battery case.
Yep, I ran the test for them yesterday and mailed mine back this morning.

Jun 27, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #2,893 of 2,999
Tested the replacement buds for 3 hours, and both pairs were at 70% battery left. Looking good so far, that's with DSEE, Bluetooth multipoint and voice assistant off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back