Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #2,866 of 2,999
Unfortunately, even after the firmware update, it turns off when charged.
I will take it back to the dealer tomorrow.
Has the error been fixed in newer editions or are there similar problems?
It seems to affect random units. I’ve had mine since the day they where released and been on every fw version and have no problems at all, still last 10 hours on a charge with eq and anc playing aac from an iPhone

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #2,867 of 2,999
Didn't like these at all, first time i buy Blue Tooth earphones, i rapidly sold them. I was very disappointed with the ANC technology, these technology can't really work btw, sound will always penetrate mechanical by the buds but i thought if for ex. i clap my hands: the ANC technology would recognize that and do its work, nop it doesn't do that. I have a pair of Sony MDR-EX650AP which do a better or as good job at keeping external sounds out. I tested the Blue Tooth (LDAC mode) with a Flac 96kHz 24bits (Handel, Serse), moving to the bathroom (2-3 meters from the phone, door opened), the listening experience was not impossible, it couldn't handle the file's resolution nor the high pitched female voice (the plastic encasing would vibrate). The sound of my Sony MDR-EX650AP is superior.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #2,868 of 2,999
Didn't like these at all, first time i buy Blue Tooth earphones, i rapidly sold them. I was very disappointed with the ANC technology, these technology can't really work btw, sound will always penetrate mechanical by the buds but i thought if for ex. i clap my hands: the ANC technology would recognize that and do its work, nop it doesn't do that. I have a pair of Sony MDR-EX650AP which do a better or as good job at keeping external sounds out. I tested the Blue Tooth (LDAC mode) with a Flac 96kHz 24bits (Handel, Serse), moving to the bathroom (2-3 meters from the phone, door opened), the listening experience was not impossible, it couldn't handle the file's resolution nor the high pitched female voice (the plastic encasing would vibrate). The sound of my Sony MDR-EX650AP is superior.
I think that users need to understand that BT IEMs are an exercise in compromises…

ANC does not yet support a cone of silence, it is all about reducing the noise that seeps through the passive isolation. Also it is better at reducing low frequency sounds - high frequency sounds are not able to be affected as much, so it helps most definitely but is not going to deliver a cone of silence.

As to range, definitely BT range is limited, with some products being better than others. One frustration with BT is that it is readily stopped by bodies of water. Want to know one body of water that you always have with you? Your body - it is 60% or so water. You will find putting your phone in your back pocket will sometimes cause cutouts with your BT IEMs. But, with all the issues, yeah, NO WIRES!

Quality is going to also be a compromise because the bandwidth available in BT cannot compete with wired. The good news is that most people with casual listening are not going to be able to tell the difference. For those for whom absolute quality is paramount then go wired, don’t think about BT.

Bottom line? BT is about making compromises for the convenience of no wires. You have to chose what is most important to you.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #2,869 of 2,999
ANC is primarily for reducing lower frequency droning noice like plane engines, train noise and so on which it does better than passive noise reduction. SQ in ambient noise is plenty good enough. Playing aac from an iPhone I get a range of up to 10 meters in doors with several brick walls in between. And then the covenience of no wires when moving about. So for me a BT ANC in ear is the clear winner for mobile use. For stationary use I always use wired from a good source.

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #2,870 of 2,999
With one wifi enabled true high-resolution wireless headphone already on the market, and more to come, in a few years Bluetooth will be a distant memory for audiophiles.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #2,871 of 2,999
Couple of Sony events coming up in May, I'm hopeful one of them will be showing off the new wf-1000xm5, although I wish they just reboot the naming convention.

Apr 28, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #2,872 of 2,999
ANC is primarily for reducing lower frequency droning noice like plane engines, train noise and so on which it does better than passive noise reduction.
I wish they could be made more effective for human voices. Much of what I want to silence is other people talking. Wonder if this is a software thing or if a different design would be needed.

Apr 29, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #2,873 of 2,999
I wish they could be made more effective for human voices. Much of what I want to silence is other people talking. Wonder if this is a software thing or if a different design would be needed.
Reduction of human voices is much harder for Active Noise Cancellation and no good solution yet exists (for commercial use, maybe military or industrial).

If your use case supports it, consider over the ears headphones with ANC such as Sony’s WH-1000XM5. From my recollection they are somewhat more effective than the WF-1000XM4, in part because of superior passive noise cancellation (IEM versus headphone). But even these will not create a cone of silence for you, unfortunately.

Apr 29, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #2,874 of 2,999
The problem with that is that it then starts to remove parts of your actual music signal as well.

Apr 29, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #2,876 of 2,999
Good points...maybe someday. Blocking out voices is one reason I appreciate the earplug-like quality of the original Sony tips, and others like Comply. Reminds me I still need to try the Sonicfoam tips as well.

The SonicFoam tips gave me much better isolation than either the stock Sony or Comply and they were more comfortable. They are very high quality and priced lower than than the others. I think you will be pleased with them.

May 21, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #2,877 of 2,999
So I managed to get a pair for pretty cheap of a warehouse deal on amazon, wasn’t planning to use the stock foams anyway so idc If it’s slightly used.

I actually like the sound, after a tiny bit of eq I got it pretty good for my taste, and the anc is really nice, specially with the wind cancellation.

But they just don’t fit me lol, I’m gonna try luck with the linkbuds s I suppose, also I definitely can hear the weird ping/ding whatever noise on the left bud with certain voices and that might be a deal breaker on its own…

May 21, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #2,878 of 2,999
May 25, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #2,880 of 2,999
Competition from Technics now available: https://us.technics.com/products/hi...se-cancelling-eah-az80?variant=43945597403371

Also uses the LDAC codec.
I listened to them and wasn't impressed. Way too much bass and lacking in bass texture. Mids were surprisingly clean and pleasant (no bass bleed). Treble was also clear but not offensive. Might be potential with PEQ but I'm not going that route with a pair of TWS.

Oh, noise cancelling was also subpar for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back