Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #2,836 of 2,999
Hi guys. I've received my new pair of XM4s yesterday. I found out I have to enable Bluetooth Priority Sound Quality in the app to be able to switch to LDAC, so that's what I've done. But it reverts to 'Streaming: AAC' the moment I start the music. It even reverted to AAC just from taking this screenshot below without starting any music. This is in my Samsung Android phone's Developer Options.
There's also a line where I don't know why it's greyed out
saying: 'Bluetooth audio LDAC Codec: Playback quality.'

Any ideas how to properly enable LDAC?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230325_144820_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20230325_144820_Settings.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #2,837 of 2,999
Hi guys. I've received my new pair of XM4s yesterday. I found out I have to enable Bluetooth Priority Sound Quality in the app to be able to switch to LDAC, so that's what I've done. But it reverts to 'Streaming: AAC' the moment I start the music. It even reverted to AAC just from taking this screenshot below without starting any music. This is in my Samsung Android phone's Developer Options.
There's also a line where I don't know why it's greyed out
saying: 'Bluetooth audio LDAC Codec: Playback quality.'

Any ideas how to properly enable LDAC?

Also make sure that connecting to 2 devices is disabled if you want LDAC.

Mar 25, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #2,838 of 2,999
Also make sure that connecting to 2 devices is disabled if you want LDAC.
I have mine connected to my iPhone as first device and that plays aac and to my A55 as second device that plays ldac and that works without any problems

Mar 25, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #2,839 of 2,999
Thanks guys. Actually, I just saw that LDAC has now appeared in my Bluetooth settings for the Sonys. It wasn't there before, so obviously changing to Priority Sound Quality in the app has done that. And in the Sony app it's showing as set to LDAC. It's fixed and I'm now on LDAC. And the greyed out line in the Developer Options is active now. When I click on that it shows these playback quality options. By default it's set to Best Effort. I tried the first one, the 990/909kbps option and I think the bass is ever so slightly deeper with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230326_030905_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20230326_030905_Settings.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230326_033846_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20230326_033846_Settings.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #2,841 of 2,999
I use these tips,, These beat the sony tips by a mile, but they dont last very long as they are much softer... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09L7D1Z4V?linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&tag=superofcom09-21

Thanks Phil for recommending the SonicFoam tips. These are the first tips that have provided an adequate seal in order to pass the Sony tip test. My XM4 is now performing to it's full potential and I am delighted with the deep bass and superb noise isolation. I’ve tried Sony, Comply, Spin Fit, Dekoni, Ear Tune and Final Audio tips and all failed to seal causing poor bass response and isolation. I highly recommend the large tips for anyone having problems with getting a seal with the stock Sony tips.

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #2,842 of 2,999
Ive been looking at the "Sony LinkBuds S" and review say they are pretty much identical to the xm4s accept there slightly smaller, dont have wireless charging and slightly less bassy but hardly noticeable.. So do anyone own both these buds and if so can you tell any difference in sound quality,, as Im thinking of getting these and selling my xm4s just because the LinikBuds S are smaller and might fit better in my ears?
With Foam tips the Linkbuds S sound signature to my ears and library is near identical to WF M4.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #2,844 of 2,999
Just got a new replacement pair from Sony support after having battery problems for a couple of months.

Has someone else been having audio problems with their new pair?

Mine sound completely differen than my old ones.

Even with the same eq, the sound feels "muddy", not really sure how to describe this...

Apr 4, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #2,846 of 2,999
Just got a new replacement pair from Sony support after having battery problems for a couple of months.

Has someone else been having audio problems with their new pair?

Mine sound completely differen than my old ones.

Even with the same eq, the sound feels "muddy", not really sure how to describe this...
Got my replacement pair after update last year fried my battery. I'm using the slightly modified newer foams that come stock, and I see no negative effects to the audio. The xm4 is a warm tws, and I'm happy with it

Apr 4, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #2,847 of 2,999
It seems like the problem is on my end, then :sob:

Again, not really sure how to describe the feeling I get, but it feels like the various instruments and the voice don't "stand out" as much as they used to.

The new pair doesn't even have rubber on the sides, so they feel super slippery.

I guess I'll try asking Sony support if they can do something about it. Hopefully this time it won't take them 4 months to give me a solution that works.

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #2,848 of 2,999
It seems like the problem is on my end, then :sob:

Again, not really sure how to describe the feeling I get, but it feels like the various instruments and the voice don't "stand out" as much as they used to.

The new pair doesn't even have rubber on the sides, so they feel super slippery.

I guess I'll try asking Sony support if they can do something about it. Hopefully this time it won't take them 4 months to give me a solution that works.
Are you sure they are connecting using LDAC? Have you checked that "Bluetooth Connection Quality" is set to "Priority on Sound Quality" in the Sony Headphones app? I have not noticed any decrease in sound quality since I got my replacement pair in February. You're right, the new ones may seem more slippery than the old ones, though I hadn't really noticed before.

Apr 4, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #2,849 of 2,999
Are you sure they are connecting using LDAC? Have you checked that "Bluetooth Connection Quality" is set to "Priority on Sound Quality" in the Sony Headphones app? I have not noticed any decrease in sound quality since I got my replacement pair in February. You're right, the new ones may seem more slippery than the old ones, though I hadn't really noticed before.
Yup, I activated both LDAC and priority on sound quality.

I just now remembered something and tried going into developer settings for my phone. Under "Bluetooth LDAC audio codec" I tried setting it to optimised for audio quality, and it seems to have made the situation slightly better, but still not on the same level as my old pair.

Apr 4, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #2,850 of 2,999
Yup, I activated both LDAC and priority on sound quality.

I just now remembered something and tried going into developer settings for my phone. Under "Bluetooth LDAC audio codec" I tried setting it to optimised for audio quality, and it seems to have made the situation slightly better, but still not on the same level as my old pair.
Perhaps burn in of the new drivers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back